ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 ph2 buying advice

BMW E36 328i Sport
Well my boss has enlisted me to help him pic out a first car for his son, he wants a clio and obv only a 1.2 for insurance. Went to look at one today but it was a wreck, gunk in the oil cap, didn't appear to have oil in the engine!! Plus some other things. Anyway looking to spend £1k max

What milage can the engines take? Seen a nice one but on 100k and mot runs out in may.
Also which engine is better out of the 1.2's ?
Any common problems? I know water pumps are known for leaking.

I've got all the usual things covered just looking for more model specific info thanks.

Stuart

ive been looking for my girlfriend she had a simple budget but you will literally find sheds or mega mileage for that money, a budget of £2-3k is going to get a decent run around, tell your boss to not be so tight its his son

BMW E36 328i Sport
Haha it's just a first car which tbh he will end up crashing like every other 17 year old so 1k is reasonable. The one on 100k looks all good in pics but just not sure how many miles the engines can take.

got myself a 1.0 clio mk3 for my first car! just over £1800! :) in white! cheaper than some mk2's so had to be done ;) from what i've learnt patience is key! look around at piston heads,auto trader,ebay all the usual places and something should pop up :) either a mk2 or 3! good luck finding a car!

as insurance is a bugger especially being 17 and male i've done some little changes that make a pretty big impact! wrapping the roof and badges in black, taking off the battered trims that were on it to leave some steelies ;), adding some dice dust caps, replacing the stereo especially if you wanna listen to an iPod as the basic models don't have connection :( & decent speakers ;) .... finally don't forget the fluffy dice ..... :nono::cool:

some pictures of my 'euro' style clio ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8dZmtv-tU

Impreza Wagon
My other half has been running an 03 1.2 16V for a few years now. It started life on 30k and it's now on 90, it suffers from the gunk under oil cap however runs fine and has done for 20k.

Biggest issues we had was throttle body failed, bit of a ball ache to get at inside the inlet manifold. Oh and also recently the rear drums collapsed however they've never been changed so can't complain.

Clio 1.2 16V
Haha it's just a first car which tbh he will end up crashing like every other 17 year old so 1k is reasonable. The one on 100k looks all good in pics but just not sure how many miles the engines can take.

They can take a lot more than 100k, mine is currently on 142k, and still running well. My previous Mk1 had 165k when sold.
The gunk in the oil filler appears to be a fairly common if used for short runs.
Hope that helps.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
gunk is normal, its condensation build up in the rocker cover.

engines are ok, i blew one up at 140k but i was a mad 17yr old, car had FULL dealer history though!