ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v water drain plug

Where is the water drain plug/screw on the clio phase 1 16v? Ive looked everywhere but cant see the thing anywhere. Ive looked in haynes but has a really vague picture and no description. Please can someone guide me ASAP as my car is currently in bits and I need to flush the system.

Cheers

No ive taken the plastic plug out of the radiator but apparently there is a drain screw to let all the water out. Trapped air in the heater matrix you see. Any ideas whats going to be the best way to cure it?

oh dear, disconnect the top hose, (messy bit) blow through the header tank, this should force water through matrix and hopefully cure your problem. we have a tool that puts a vacuum into the cooling system, and this then sucks the coolant mix in, very quick and easy.

also try jacking the n/s up high as the air will try to go for the hightest path, hopefully out of the matrix!

right ive flushed the system right through like you said. Jacked n.s up and blew through header tank untill it started running through the top hose. Steady stream of water coming through but still little heat into the car. Heater matrix gone do you reckon?

Thanks

the hose to the matrix is hot, but the one coming out the bottom is only warm. When I turn the heater on it blows hot for a few seconds, but then gets colder and colder untill it blows little detectable heat. I also tried getting a hosepipe through the hose to the matrix until it flowed out of the bottom matrix hose. There was plenty of pressure through the hose but it still hasnt made a difference. I assume if there was a blockage the water pressure would have flushed it out. Is there a proper way of doing it (unblocking matrix)?

water circulation prob: either knackered water pump or blocked matrix, is the water flowing through header tank?, try again flushing the matrix. there are checmicals too help remove the build up of sludge etc!

Willy2

Mine is the same,I consistantly have this discussion, the best way is to replace the matrix. This is a massive job, good luck, the whole dash has to come out. Let me know how you got on as i want to do mine but gotta find the time, this is supposed to be a common fault, i have not attempted to flush or reverse flush the matrix but i cant see it making a big difference. Is there coolant leaking into the car?

No there does not seem to be a coolant leak, you can normally smell the anti freeze and there is no damp around the passenger footwell. I reckon its got to be the heater matrix at fault, as there was a fair bit of pressure going through it when i flushed it, and the water coming out was nice and clean. Havent had any other problems with the cooling system so reckon the water pump should be ok. Just been looking through the auto trader and a few clios advertised have had the usual clutch/gearbox replaced along with new heater maitrix, so its probably a common fault.

Have looked in Haynes manual, and yes the matrix is a pig of a job, but not too difficult. Ill wait for a dry day next week, and ill have a go at it. I know the dash has to come out, but this isnt too bad as I have done this before to cure some annoying rattles!

Ill post next week and let you know how I get on. So long as I mark all wiring looms etc with different coloured tape it should be ok putting everything back together. Ive looked around, and have found a new matrix for 40 quid, so its not an expensive job. Thanks for all replies, ill let you know how long it takes.

I have the same problem, it does not even seem to get warm only for a few secs when i shut the vents and then open them.

the blower motor went, so i replaced it and then the heating disappeared !!

ive flushed it and bled it as well and its had a new thermostat cos i thought it might be that, but its still cold.

i think its gotta be the matrix any ideas ?

thanks

Yes same problem as me. Like I say new matrix is probably required, I reckon it will take about 3 hrs to do. Get the dash out and disconnect all wires then actually get to the matrix to replace it. Not looking forward to it but then am sick of driving with a coat on.

I have this problem as well but I think it might be leaking into the passenger footwell. Does that mean its the matrix or something else?

Damianshaker, have you done this job yet? If so how long did it take?

Yes mate I did it last weekend. It took about 10 hrs and was an absolute b**ch! If you had two people doing it you could do it in alot less time. Get one of you to follow the haynes manual for taking the dash out and a friend to start taking the windscreen wipers etc off to get access to the blower motor. To be honest, the job isnt technically difficult, its just time consuming and a pain in the arse. Also when my car had its thatcham 1 fitted the fitters were lazy and ran cables all over the dash instead of following the proper cable runs. I had to cut all the cables, tape the ends with different coloured insulation tape and then reconnect when the dash went back in. The part is £54 from Renualt.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare but mine seems to be getting worse and I keep having to top up the coolant so I might have a go this weekend!