ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup ad08 size?

172cup
Looking to buy a set of ad08s in the new year for my 172 cup. There are two sizes available 205/45/16 and 205/50/16 is there any difference? Is there a better size to fit the standard turini?

cheers

Looking to buy a set of ad08s in the new year for my 172 cup. There are two sizes available 205/45/16 and 205/50/16 is there any difference? Is there a better size to fit the standard turini?

cheers

I'd go 205/45/16 as these are what I've got the 50 may be a little tall but ok on standard ride height I'm not sure, some minor mods dependant on how low you are, where have you found these they've become as rare as hens teeth, are these the new AD08R?

Regards Russ........

172cup
Ears Motorsport, but heard revolution Gateshead have some in stock. Standard apart from cooksport springs.

what difference, if any, does the r add?

Ears Motorsport, but heard revolution Gateshead have some in stock. Standard apart from cooksport springs.

what difference, if any, does the r add?

I think these will be the new R rated tyre, for us who sprint / hill climb list 1A is a road tyre and the old AD08 has been dropped from Yokos list, unfortunately the new tyre AD08R moves them into the 1B list which is basically a cut slick or very soft compound, we can't use them, it's a real shame they've done this as finding a tyre with as good a compound and strong side wall will be hard.

Regards Russ......

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
hey man before you buy them from ears i just checked demon tweeks they are only 92 quid on there for ad08r's ! bargain

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I think these will be the new R rated tyre, for us who sprint / hill climb list 1A is a road tyre and the old AD08 has been dropped from Yokos list, unfortunately the new tyre AD08R moves them into the 1B list which is basically a cut slick or very soft compound, we can't use them, it's a real shame they've done this as finding a tyre with as good a compound and strong side wall will be hard.

Regards Russ......
sprintcup

Russ, still have them below but these are 195/50/15 at £80 each

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyres-YOKOHAMA/ADVAN,NEOVA,AD08/195,50,R15,82,V.html

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm weighing them up myself:

AD08's vs RSR's and for £44 difference I am truly stumped.

Audi A5
AD08's I reckon Mick, don't have the common splitting across the tread fault like the RSR's, the edges won't wear low as quick, thanks to the better tread pattern design and their suppose to be better in the rain.

Question is, what's better AD08 or AD08R?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
don't worry about the rsr split, it will wear off - that's what most experienced, I'm very pleased with the grip level they give
205/50 r 16 is too big, if the car's lowered wheel rubbing will occur

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
AD08's I reckon Mick, don't have the common splitting across the tread fault like the RSR's, the edges won't wear low as quick, thanks to the better tread pattern design and their suppose to be better in the rain.

The cracking/splitting has never been a genuine concern to me as they seem to wear thru it but I currently have PE2's which have next to no side wall strength so roll pretty easily so this is what I'm trying to resolve with tyres for this year's playtime. I've seen the AD08 walls and they are deffo the strongest between them and the RSR's but they have a slightly lower tread depth to.

I've found the RSR's for £276, ADO8R for £315 and the AD08's for £320 so the saving/additional cost is negliagble vs what they both will do on circuit. One has a much harder compound than the other though which is where the AD08r comes in and what worries me as I like to buy one set that will last me all year and work in all weather (yeah, I don't want too much).

I'm personally swaying toward the AD08r right now... ordering in the new year as my first day isn't until Feb

Audi A5
Yeah I guess it's not a major issue with the splitting but still not nice to see.

I think I'm in going to go for the AD08R's aswell, hopefully they don't wear out too quick.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member

AD08R is the new name for them iirc? Not sure if you can get old AD08s now.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
It's a completely new compound on them. Faster and last longer.

I run the older AD08s on my 300+ Megane at the moment but will be getting some Rs next

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As per Jamie's post the AD08r is a new softer compound than the AD08 which is why the circuit boys cannot use them anymore as they're now classed as a 1B tyre.

I have been doing some more research today in between plans to modify my RS2 further and I am now set on AD08r rubber.

RS Clio 172 Cup
AD08s are awesome allround tyre. I will be selling my AD08Rs 205/45/R16 in Jan. I bought them new in August thinking they were AD08s (which they were advertised as) but fitted AD08R. They will have done around 500 - 600 miles sand never tracked or sprinted. I have a separate set for track ;)

I now have a set of AD08s on there way to me for the new sprint season hence why the AD08Rs will be up for sale once the AD08s are fitted.

I have no idea why Yoko decided to change it, the paddocks were filled with AD08 tyres for Standard and B class sprints. They're gonna see a big drop in sales in my opinion

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
I ran AD08R's on 15's at in a sprint at combe in October in mixed conditions. I found that running at a slightly higher pressure than I normally would made a good difference.
I found them really good esp when the track dried out.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
AD08s are awesome allround tyre. I will be selling my AD08Rs 205/45/R16 in Jan. I bought them new in August thinking they were AD08s (which they were advertised as) but fitted AD08R. They will have done around 500 - 600 miles sand never tracked or sprinted. I have a separate set for track ;)

I now have a set of AD08s on there way to me for the new sprint season hence why the AD08Rs will be up for sale once the AD08s are fitted.

I have no idea why Yoko decided to change it, the paddocks were filled with AD08 tyres for Standard and B class sprints. They're gonna see a big drop in sales in my opinion

Yeah, I think they possibly saw the RSR's as stealing the percentage of sales though so matched them on compound and dropped the price accordingly.

A real shame for you boys though, agreed

Audi A5
A while back Ktec were the cheapest for the older ones, might be worth checking them.

I did check their site but couldn't see them on their. I remember they were doing them at fcs earlier this year at £300 for four, which is good but that was without having to pay for delivery.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I know tyres-pnues.co.uk has stock of the AD08's in 15" but unsure of 16". Have used them before so don't be put off by them being in Germany because delivery is very swift.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I got up...

7anyquje.jpg

172cup
Cheers for the info - looks like a few of you guys couldn't wait!!

Think I ll be going for the ad08r, it will suit my needs better as only aiming for 3 trackdays this year.

Brakes are next on my wish list....pagids blues??

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
They are awesome pads but I personally use the DS3000's because not as pricey and bite just as well for the compromise of price.

172cup
Cool I ll give him a shout, going to order some of that brake fluid he stocks next month. Pads wise I ll see how thes standards hold up for cadwell first.

do the ds3000 squeal like the pagids?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
They all squeal at low speeds once they've been truly hammered but mine never did prior to them catching fire (long story, not my fault)

RS Clio 172 Cup
Cool I ll give him a shout, going to order some of that brake fluid he stocks next month. Pads wise I ll see how thes standards hold up for cadwell first.

do the ds3000 squeal like the pagids?

Standard pads will not hold up on track and may spoil your day. Id invest in some pads if I were you.

Carbon Loraine RC6 are my weapon of choice as they bite from cold and bite harder than anything ive used but bloody noisy

172cup
After reading the post mentioning burning brakes, I remembered setting fire to my wheel/calliper/tyre at knockhill in a 182 - new pads is a good shout.