ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup - Knocking/Ticking from timing belt area

Who can diagnose a noise my cars developed?
Almost sounds like a knocking from the engine.

Quite loud when sat in the car, can only just hear it when looking under the bonnet, think I've traced it to the timing/aux belt area but its hard to tell

Noise's got 2 speeds- fast (imagine tapping a table as fast as you can) when ticking over

touch the revs and at about 2k rpm the noise suddenly doubles in speed, doesn't increase gradually with engine revs just switches to faster.

rev the car hard and let it settle and the noise goes, for about 30 seconds then returns.

Cant hear anything when driving, only on tickover.

anyone help with this?

CHeers

RENAULT SPORT CLIO 172
i have just had a new engine fitted because i left a ticking noise from the same area.

i took it to a mechanic and he said this is the alternator and that there is no point replacing until it totaly breaks. I left it to break and a few days later was driving home and the engine stopped dead. a valve had come off and blew a massive hole in the piston. needed an engine. not trying to scare but be very careful and take it to a garage and ask them to check.

Lots of Alfas
I think this is the carbon canister solanoid issue.
Not worried about this now
cheers for the replys

Was going to say, this makes a very distinctive ticking noise when the solenoid jams. Easiest way is to disconnect it to prove it.

ClioSport 172 Cup
i get the solenoid tick, i think its more pronounced when you let your foot off the accelerator pedal and the engine is braking.It sounds like a noisy injector.