ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 FF vs 172 Cup

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Was being followed by a 52 plate coming off A614 on the way home from work tonight.

He came off the roundabout behind me, so of course I gave it some beans to see if he'd follow the bait [you know, with him having the lighter 'faster' car;)]

He took it alright, caning it right up to *[insert speed here!]*mph:S

Must admit he wasn't all over me as I've been re-mapped:cool:, but it was obvious I had the bigger balls when it came to the sharper corners on the country roads, with the confidence of my ABS and traction control.

Plus the fact I was nice and comfy in my leather and alcantara seats with the heat reflective windscreen keeping me cool without having to have my climate control on.

:lolup:

Just havin a bit of a laugh as us FF owners always get scoffed at by you Cuppies.:D

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I know, I'm a bit scared now.:nono:

I wish I'd never posted it........:cry:

They'll all be after me with their lightweight front windscreens trying to nick my sound insulation from under my bonnet:quiet:

Just messin lads, we take enough stick from you.;)

tbh with certain mods the 172 aint far behind the cup , or far infront in this case :eek: and yes it does come down to the driver

Leon Cupra 300
I had a drag against my mates FF172 there was f**k all in it... Started in 2nd gear at 30, he got the jump and it werent till the change to 3rd until we were level, then throughout 3rd gear i pulled about 1 and a half car lengths... Which is next to nothing on the road and probably about right with the weight difference!

Mine looked better when we were doin it tho ;)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Most people in cups like to say how much faster there car is to make up for the lack of toys in there car,in reality there is nothing in it.Bit like the old ctr v's 172 threads from years ago

ian

tiTTy & SV650
the 172 cup engines are known to make better power at least, so you're not likely to hear of a bad 172 cup.

Golf 7R
Oh surprise surprise the weekly/monthly 172 vs 172 cup debate, despite the opinions saying theres nowt in it, put simply there wrong ( or i have one fast standard cup) i have on numerous occasions pulled quite considerably on FF 172's! Like i have said previously on other threads anyone in the Essex area willing to test this out and bring vid camera im more than happy to oblige.....good day to you all!

Last edited:
Oh surprise surprise the weekly/monthly 172 vs 172 cup debate, despite the opinions saying theres nowt in it, put simply there wrong ( or i have one fast standard cup) i have on numerous occasions pulled quite considerably on FF 172's! Like i have said previously on other threads anyone in the Essex area willing to test this out and bring vid camera im more than happy to oblige.....good day to you all!

I'll come over then, and let you comfortable up away from me, not.

Leon Cupra 300
I reckon on paper the cups should push a bit more out for the reason of havin no aircon etc to spin but in reality it means jack s**t. Like i said above, in a drag race with my mate i pulled away but not enough to make a real difference...

and as many times as you like, but your wrong. And for what its worth, my 172FF made 175 before it had the work done, so go figure. Plus there are plenty of 172 Cup owners who believed what you've said then been rather disappointed on RR days.

MINI JCW
Some one once suggested on here that all the best enignes where "cherry picked" for the 172cup, LOL

Lets be honest the Cup is just a cheap version of the 172, which has overall benefits of pub bragging rights where you can say my car is 0.2 secs faster to 62mph and many disadvantages over the FF

tiTTy & SV650
172 cup is a hardcore homologation special, 172 is a nicer place to be.

Different priorities for different people.

182 cup on the other hand is just a cheap 182.

172CUP/Fiesta supersport
I have never had a go with a 172FF so I will not pass judgement but all I would add is, can FF etc drivers say that they do not notice (honestly)any performance difference with a 14stone passenger sitting beside them??? I know I can certainly notice the difference with a hefty passenger, which would bring my cup back up to FF weight!! Just pootling about on slight throttle openings is deffo noticable too IMO.

peace.

Leon Cupra 300
I have never had a go with a 172FF so I will not pass judgement but all I would add is, can FF etc drivers say that they do not notice (honestly)any performance difference with a 14stone passenger sitting beside them??? I know I can certainly notice the difference with a hefty passenger, which would bring my cup back up to FF weight!! Just pootling about on slight throttle openings is deffo noticable too IMO.

peace.

YUP.

clio 1.4 petrol
I am coming from an unbiased background on this topic, seeing as I am considering buying either 172 ff or 172 cup lol. I like both but im slightly edging towards a 172ff, based on day to day driving the very very slight difference in weight/speed/accelaration does not compensate for lack of ABS, half leather, air con etc... in my opinion. Those are things that you will get more use out of. I know i would much rather sit in half leather seats than seats like my 1.4 clio i have just now. Having saying that it depends on what your gonna use car for. If you track it a lot and gonna get bucket seats and roll cage etc then obviously i would choose the cup :p. I am still undecided to be honest

182BG
still, the ctr is faster ;) **runs**

there are so many factors that need to be considered so its absolutlely pointless arguing about it, in the end if you like the FF buy one if you prefer the cup then buy one. simple

MINI JCW
I dont doubt the cup is slightly faster but as a everyday car it is missing to much. the interior is awful, it doesnt have air con and the fact that it doesnt have ABS brakes doesnt reassure me either. Thats why I think the 182 with both cup packs is the perfect compromise the extra 10bhp helps to offset the weight and the cup pack makes it handle well and it still as all the toys.

Also if i was doing loads of track days I would buy a LOTUS as they are faster and handle better than any Clio

MINI JCW
172 cup is a hardcore homologation special, 172 is a nicer place to be.

Different priorities for different people.

182 cup on the other hand is just a cheap 182.

Hardcore? it hardly a LOTUS or a Caterham is it. Oh I forgot real men drive Cup's LOL