ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 inlet manifold PTFE gasket

Golf V6 4Motion
Has anyone ever used one, or know anyone who makes them?
Typical JDM mod which usually shows good results. :approve:
I know clio williams forum lot were looking at getting them machined for valvers but it never materialised. :)

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
does it really! interesting.
seriously. i must live in a cave lol
embarrassing as i'm in the trade LOL

Golf V6 4Motion
does anyone make 172 ones? I made one for somebody and was thinking about selling it as they don't want it anymore and was wondering how much to ask. Was just going to see if anyone else made them? Possibility of being able to get a batch made up in the future.

Lionel Richie
3mm thick, hum, you might encounter fitting problems there dempending on which rocker cover brether setup you have

If you put that on you may find that the inlet wont mate with the plenum correctly. Benr said to me before that its not really possible on these engine as the gaskets are too thin to have any benefit and if you made it thicker it wont fit. Would be interesting to try although not worth 35 quid imo

Lionel Richie
if you have the later 182 rocker cover breather you'll be ok, but the earlier 172's and the mk2 172's will have problems

RSC 182 Cup
These would be a good idea IMHO along with ceramic coating of the inlet manifold- has anyone tried that yet?

Here in Australia I've witnessed some ridiculously high inlet temps of 82 degrees Celcius on a 42 degree ambient day. The lowest on that run was 65 degrees (logged via an RSTuner.)

BMW M135i
if you have the later 182 rocker cover breather you'll be ok, but the earlier 172's and the mk2 172's will have problems

Assuming because the way the oil seperator sticks up into the plenum? Didn't know it was different on the 182, hows it done on that?

ITB'd Ph1 172
we had a couple of sets made for the V6, was very effective..... inlets were colder and FAR less heatsoak from the engine at standstill....

trouble with the F4R is the gasket is alot thinner... a 3mm one wont fit at all well...

its a product we would like to roll out, does depend how many people would buy it..

the gasket would really have to be the same or very close to the thickness of the OE gasket

(info from Andy)

PH1 172 Sport
I have a mk1 172 and can see the benefits from this but I dont think its worth 35 pounds.

As a student of engineering I dont see the need for the gasket to be 3mm thick as PTFE would hardly conduct significant heat at much smaller thicknesses as long as no metal parts were touching.

PH1 172 Sport
I have a mk1 172 and can see the benefits from this but I dont think its worth 35 pounds.

As a student of engineering I dont see the need for the gasket to be 3mm thick as PTFE would hardly conduct significant heat at much smaller thicknesses as long as no metal parts were touching.

After thinking about this surely the whole thing would be a pointless excercise as the intake manifold curves over the top of the engine?!?!

Lionel Richie
i've been saying this for ages, polishing up the plenham chamber is a very bad idea for cooling, but it looks pretty

Golf V6 4Motion
It isn't pointless and it will make a difference - its just as a case of every little helps - the less heat transferred into the head the better.

In peoples opinions what is the ideal thickness these should be? Looking into getting some of these made up so any thoughts welcome.

RSC 182 Cup
So nobody has done ceramic coating to their inlet manifold/ intake? Would most likely work better than just the Teflon gasket.

PH1 172 Sport
It isn't pointless and it will make a difference - its just as a case of every little helps - the less heat transferred into the head the better.

In peoples opinions what is the ideal thickness these should be? Looking into getting some of these made up so any thoughts welcome.

As thin as possible. Would 1mm be too thin? What about making one up for the rear plenum connection also?

ValverInBits
I've just bought one of these for £20.
Did a bita hagglin.
I'll take pics when i fit it (may be a while from now) and let everyone know how it goes.

Golf V6 4Motion
Well PTFE isn't cheap stuff to source so I don't want to be wasting too much on trying 1mm, 2mm, etc.

Thinking about it perhaps 1mm would be too thin?

FRED - what are your thoughts on this.. you seem to have a bit of experience with this - what thickness would you estimate??

Is there any need to have a 'rear plenum' one too? I don't own a 172 so don't know the setup - how many gaskets are there on the intake side? Is there a seperate throttle body one like on the clio 16v too?

Megane 2 GT 165
Engine --> Lowerinlet manifold has a gasket
Inlet manifold --> Plenum has a gasket
Plenum --> throttlebody has a rubber seal which is in the trottlebody.

All I think of for the exhaust, that the exhaust gasses are blown again the exhaust manifold which will bring heat into the head. But the gasses flow through the head (exhaust side) aswell.

Don't know about heat in the inlet, for thickness of the inlet gasket (the one on ebay) You have heat transport through materials and through radiation / air.

Using thick enough material to overcome heat transport would be most effective. I guess 1-2 mm is enough. (but the company selling might have made calculations on this) Then again, you could use some bolts from material that has low heat-transfer specification too :)

Golf V6 4Motion
No point in messing with the rubber seal.

Questions are then:

Do we need inlet to plenum gaskets as well?

Whats max thickness the PTFE can be?

As soon as we can decide on these I can look at producing them, I presume there would be enough interest!

Questions are then:

As soon as we can decide on these I can look at producing them, I presume there would be enough interest!

Depends on how much you want to charge, but im sure you would get quite a bit of interest

Golf V6 4Motion

Questions are then:

Depends on how much you want to charge, but im sure you would get quite a bit of interest

Depends on PTFE thickness - I'd estimate 2mm gaskets about 20quid? Not a lot...

Clio v6
we had a couple of sets made for the V6, was very effective..... inlets were colder and FAR less heatsoak from the engine at standstill....

trouble with the F4R is the gasket is alot thinner... a 3mm one wont fit at all well...

its a product we would like to roll out, does depend how many people would buy it..

the gasket would really have to be the same or very close to the thickness of the OE gasket

(info from Andy)

Oh yes I remember those, good idea as it turned out.

Lionel Richie
there's some trendy stuff you can get that is a liquid gasket type stuff and has heat retention properties, but its £70 for a 10ml tube!

its a lot of hassle for a few degrees

Golf V6 4Motion
As above what thickness do we think would be best?

Would fitment be ok using 2mm? 1mm would be cheapest however would this be too thin??

To be honest I can only see an inlet to plenum being an extra cost people wouldn't want to pay - the inlet manifold gasket will give the biggest benefits.

PH1 172 Sport
As above what thickness do we think would be best?

Would fitment be ok using 2mm? 1mm would be cheapest however would this be too thin??

To be honest I can only see an inlet to plenum being an extra cost people wouldn't want to pay - the inlet manifold gasket will give the biggest benefits.

I think 1mm would be fine all your trying to eliminate is metal to matal contact. Although if fitment is not impaired with 2mm then I can't see the extra thickness being a bad thing. I suppose it depends on what fits and what people are willing to pay.

Golf V6 4Motion
TBH I don't think the price difference will be great between 1mm and 2mm - however if GDI think that they need to be as near as possible to the original gasket thickness then we will try for 1mm.

Leave this with me and I will be in touch once we have made some more progress - i.e. got some made up and trial fitted.

Cheers

ValverInBits
Don't know about heat in the inlet, for thickness of the inlet gasket (the one on ebay) You have heat transport through materials and through radiation / air.

Using thick enough material to overcome heat transport would be most effective. I guess 1-2 mm is enough. (but the company selling might have made calculations on this) Then again, you could use some bolts from material that has low heat-transfer specification too :)

The company on ebay made no calculations at all with this. It's the worst thing ever, I'm returning mine. http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=294427&highlight=ptfe

I think they should be 2mm. agreed 3mm is probs a little thick, but 1mm is just not enough to get good insulation surely.

those GDI V6 PTFE gaskets look to be 2mm