ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 inlet manifold PTFE gasket

Golf V6 4Motion
You can't give definite answers to every last detail tbh mate - all it is really fair to say is every little helps and no matter what your setup this well reduce intake temps by some amount and will CERTAINLY take a longer amount of time for your inlet to get to its full running temp. Ideal in track day useage IMO.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Just read this from start >> finnish, good finds/results guys, I myself never even thought about something like this but the theory is all there, added my self to the group buy :cool:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Was thinking about this today, if you was really keen to use a thicker gasket surely you could skim the inlet mani fold to allow for a 3mm thick one?

Golf V6 4Motion
As posted mate this is strictly a For Sale section - if you have any questions can you post them in the development thread please...

But yes if you wanted to you could skim it down and use a thicker gasket and I can readily supply this as well... let me know via PM if you'd be interested in that.

Free Bump

Golf V6 4Motion
182 confirmed as the same thicknesses as per 172 gaskets.

Makes simple fitting and clean end setup.

Anyone wanting thicker can have it but you may have to file/drill, etc to fit.

People with throttle bodies - go for whatever thickness you want - can cut upto 5mm for you.

Cheers

hi guys, really sorry i've not had a chance to do the guide, been away and very busy.

The bulk of the info is on the page 9 which should pretty much cover everything but I'll strive to make a proper guide bundled together for people to download in the week.

Golf V6 4Motion
Cheers mate most appreciated.

Free Bump - still got a few full sets sat at my yard so if anyone wants a set get in now - will aim to get to you at latest 2 working days after you order.

Cheers

RS RIP
How are peoples' findings on the thermal gaskets ? Anybody got a problem where they may have some leaking going on/false air coming in ?

PH1 172 Sport
How are peoples' findings on the thermal gaskets ? Anybody got a problem where they may have some leaking going on/false air coming in ?

Most people seem to have had some good results with them. Ive noticed quite a large drop in intake manifold temperature and you can touch the plenum after a long drive without burning yourself so they must be making a difference.

I can only see the bottom gasket being worthwhile doing if your changing the inlets for matched one though as its such a pain to get the bottom inlet off.

Golf V6 4Motion

You should have on instance of this at all mate unless your breather isn't connected underneath properly as a result of using the washers but most people don't find this.... as Caister has put we have had nothing but good results; that is unless you haven't fitted them correctly?

Let me know how you get on.

RS RIP
^^ no problems yet Chris. It's just the first thing the best man working on my car said when he saw the gaskets we were going to use.

Car is running , all is done ; cams , inlets, exhaust manifold. Only thing is that the idle goes funny, have to blip throttle to keep her going. At first i thought the idle went up+down ; this could be/mean a leak somewhere . Generally the idle tends to drop too low so might just be the change of cams

I still have to get the car mapped so i'll post up how that works out. I have only driven it home after the job was done ; some 30 kilometers and parked it in the garage. better not to drive it untill Henk Fastchip has a go with it ; see if he can sort it out

May just be a case of fueling being way out with the new mods

Golf V6 4Motion
I would be VERY suprised if the gaskets gave any air leak - many people have fitted and nobody has had a problem like this and I never have had on past cars to which I have fitted them to. the properties of the material lend themselves to sealing well; I would stongly predict it to be a fuelling issue - if you have had cams fitted without a remap.

please report back though!

182 Clio,IbizaCupra
what stops the ptfe gasket from creeping under clamp pressure and heat cool cycles of manifold and cyl head?
Phenolic is a better material to use for insulator gasket. incompressable unlike ptfe.

Phenolic is what we use on the vag turbo and VR/16v units

182 Clio,IbizaCupra
A turbo'd engine has much higher inlet temps though......

and these are also sold and very effective on atmo cars, 16v, VR6 etc, insulator is an insulator, and conducted temps from manifold is actually slightly higher on an atmo car, as intercooled turbo cars when running an efficient intercooler run cooler intakes... up until they hit start-stop traffic or slow running then heat soak like any car from rad fans blowing etc.
I know full well what turbo cars and atmo cars run like temp wise, and the insulator gaskets work on both.
when t'bodied my 16v fuel rail would sit at 95'C after a session without an insulator gasket, and was 65'C in same conditions with one fitted.
thin ptfe gaskets vs phenolic thicker ones, favours the phenolic when used on another brand I work on. (VAG)
PTFE is compressable, which over time has allowed some creep and subsequent air leaks. Phenolic is'nt

Golf V6 4Motion
you can't use thicker ones else we would use thicker PTFE? the 172/182 inlet setup is very tight. we have no instances to date of air leaks, etc - only happy customers and results. If you use standard torque settings you should see no over compression even when fully heated.

(we have many of these gaskets being used on Pulsar GTIRs; no problems what so ever to date and people have been running them for a year+)