ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 on the m’way – too noisy….

172 (sold), Elise,
I love my 172, great fun, practical, great mpg…..

…..but…..

I’m struggling with it on the m’way – the exhaust drones.

It used to have a noisy exhaust but I have just changed the backbox for a 2.25 inch stealth ss backbox….but it still drones.

I have only driven modified 172’s – are totally standard exhausts quiet or is it just a trait of these cars?

Is there anything I can do to make it a bit quieter?

I’m about to start doing 50 miles each way so may have to chop it in for a mile muncher….:(

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
A standard exhaust will be very quiet so thats probably the best solution for you.

Apparently Yozzasport Stealths are just as quiet as standard systems, but won't fall off like a standard system will.

Suzuki Jimny
Can't hear my standard exhaust when on the motorway.

I only have all the rattling, wind noise and tyre noise to put up with :)

If it's that bad, get some ear plugs!

Edit again: you drive a tuscan and you're complaining about a clios noise!

Last edited:
  Iceberg 172
I still have my STD exhaust and it is quiet on the motorway but I'm about to put my k tec stealth one on as I hardly ever go on motorways!

172 (sold), Elise,
The Tuscan is my toy the 172 is my daily 'hack' and thus would appreciate some peace and quiet first thing in the morning. I also have the g/f to convince that the clio can be my 'sensible' car!

Interesting that the standard exhaust is quiet - may need to book a test drive somewhere to check it out.

Pity as the stealth exhaust I now have on it seems a quality item

No way I can justify £375 for a new exhaust - that's 10% to the value of the car!

I have a 182 and changed my ktec back to standard and now changing it back to the ktec one as, the standard one sounds rubbish and even though the ktec was loud i loved the noise it made!

Man up!:rasp:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The Tuscan is my toy the 172 is my daily 'hack' and thus would appreciate some peace and quiet first thing in the morning. I also have the g/f to convince that the clio can be my 'sensible' car!

Interesting that the standard exhaust is quiet - may need to book a test drive somewhere to check it out.

Pity as the stealth exhaust I now have on it seems a quality item

No way I can justify £375 for a new exhaust - that's 10% to the value of the car!

Most aftermarket systems drone on Clios, but if its a ktec stealth, i've found them the worst of the bunch. The Cup i bought KTR stealth fitted. It lasted 7 days. Bought a new standard system, and all is well :)

Genuine Renault items are expensive aswell IIRC! Fit a second hand one, it'll fall off. Fit a non-gen one it will most likely be cack. Fit a Yozza and you won't ever need to replace it.

Megane RS 250
I've got mild steel ktec superstealth + dekat + 182 manifold and is noisy as well..It had a horrible Remus DTM exhaust when i bought it, but it was way quieter, maybe i would have been better off chopping off the tips and making it a stealth one.

I'm thinking of fitting a silencer in the middle of the dekat or changing the center section silencer with a "real" one.