ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 172 cup??

53 Clio's & counting
IMO, anyone that spends £2.5k modding a £1.5k car, needs their head seeing to!

Horses for courses, I suppose...

lol people do that on here every day mate, i agree with ya, but it aint my monet their spending so i don't mind lol

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Ok, it seems I opened a can of worms!

I'm currently thinking of a budget ~£3-3.5k so this is either going to be:
Ph1 172 with a couple of mods to brakes, seats, suspension, interior mods.
or a, hopefully, cheap 172 Cup where I can immediately change the seats but leave the suspension/brakes standard until I can budget for more.

Why shouldn't somebody spend a load of money getting a car 'track-ready', I'd kind of agree if it was a road car but (from what I understand) a track oriented 1*2 will out perform many other cars for the money £4k. I can't really think of another suitable car for the job, that's not going to be too old (i.e. expensive to repair) and unreliable.

S3, Polo
...Why shouldn't somebody spend a load of money getting a car 'track-ready'...

Because spending twice the value of the car on 'mods' is stupid! It would be better/ more savvy/ more sensible to spend the total budget on a better car!

The nature of the budget (ie - not being very big) means that 'person X' doesn't have money to burn and makes the whole proposition a bit silly.

Case in point: My neighbour just spent the best part of £900 repairing a knackered £450 Fiesta Si that he uses for commuting.

It's now probably worth £600. WTF?

I told him that he's a mug and should have scrapped the thing. Or at the very least traded the shed in for some anonymous Korean bobbins.

Bless him. At least he's happy. Being a mug...

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
Because spending twice the value of the car on 'mods' is stupid! It would be better/ more savvy/ more sensible to spend the total budget on a better car!

The nature of the budget (ie - not being very big) means that 'person X' doesn't have money to burn and makes the whole proposition a bit silly.

Case in point: My neighbour just spent the best part of £900 repairing a knackered £450 Fiesta Si that he uses for commuting.

It's now probably worth £600. WTF?

I told him that he's a mug and should have scrapped the thing. Or at the very least traded the shed in for some anonymous Korean bobbins.

Bless him. At least he's happy. Being a mug...

fixing a banger is far different from spending money on your hobby to give you enjoyment and give you something you want. I hate new cars, they make me want to die. But i should have one cos they're "better"???? give me a break

S3, Polo
I hate new cars, they make me want to die.

Sucks to be you, eh? :)

And spending sh*tloads on an OLD car to 'mod' it is a fools game. Like this poor soul's car:

21885_29241.jpg

I would happily spend £1.5k on a £2.5k car to make it 'fit' for track work, but £2.5k on a £1.5k car?

Especially when you look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220433736495&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:GB:1123

But as I said - Hourses for courses.

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
it's about more than resale value. People that dont see this, never will.

No offence intended BTW, just different people have a different mindset.

53 Clio's & counting
Ok, it seems I opened a can of worms!

I'm currently thinking of a budget ~£3-3.5k so this is either going to be:
Ph1 172 with a couple of mods to brakes, seats, suspension, interior mods.
or a, hopefully, cheap 172 Cup where I can immediately change the seats but leave the suspension/brakes standard until I can budget for more.

Why shouldn't somebody spend a load of money getting a car 'track-ready', I'd kind of agree if it was a road car but (from what I understand) a track oriented 1*2 will out perform many other cars for the money £4k. I can't really think of another suitable car for the job, that's not going to be too old (i.e. expensive to repair) and unreliable.

Right in that case buying a PH1 and spending money on brakes and suspension will make it faster than buying a cup and not modding it