ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172ph2 hesitant when cold ?

2002 172
As the title says, my 2002 172ph2 is hesitating slightly when driving it straight from cold (to and from work!).

Once the temp. needle gets up to normal running temp. everything is fine? This only takes a few minutes normally. Seems to pull well through gears when up to temp. But just feels as though it's misfiring/lumpy when accelerating for the first couple of miles...

Could it be a lambda sensor?
Doesn't appear to be any mods other than cold air infeeds removed from air box.
I have serviced and replaced plugs and ignition block. Although not changed the leads...

Running about 300 miles per tank, if that's normal?

Any advice appreciated!

Sounds like the lambda yeah or coolant/thermo sensor maybe. Mine did it, didn't bother me as once warm it was fine. Try swapping the lambda's around and see if it stops.

Out of the four 172s/182s I've owned, they've all driven lumpy from cold and take 1-2 miles to smooth out, so I wouldn't worry about it.

You can get your car mapped to improve this if it bothers you.

300 miles is a normal range too depending on how you drive it.

2002 172
Cheers for the swift replies!

I'll see how accessible the lambdas are before deciding whether I want to try swapping them or not! :)

Rusty Cup
Mine does this. I usually let it idle for a minute before heading off. Never tried to fix this fault but in my ownership I've replaced plugs, leads, Map sensor, Temp sensor, Crank sensor, injectors, battery, relays and the car still acts the same.

Haven't tried lambda as I couldn't get mine off..

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Mine was doing the same recently misfire from cold for a couple of miles. Everything checked out ok on live data - swapped downstream & post cat lambda and runs fine again better idle etc. Still have an occasional hesitation when pulling away i think an injector is on its way out.

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
My 172 does this but I just give it a minute before setting off when cold. Sometimes it will also start then die so I have to turn it over again but hasn't really bothered me. I'd be interested in seeing what the new lambda sensor does though if you can report back?