ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 ’knocking’ sorted once & for all

Yaris Hybrid

Hurry up and take a pic of your mount now before it starts knocking! That way we will know what to make ours look like.

My knock started after 600 miles.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 17 December 2004
Hurry up and take a pic of your mount now before it starts knocking! That way we will know what to make ours look like.My knock started after 600 miles.

everybody else seems to have done their own without problems, why dont you just try it?

Quote: Originally posted by FiXX on 13 December 2004

This is DEFINATELY the problem, (on mine anyway) but i dont see why anyone elses will be different. I used an old exhaust rubber and wrapped it round the mount temporarily and the noise was gone, just going to adjust it myself tomorrow morning. Nice one Faz182, nice one indeed, the noise has been doing my head in! :D

Agree, good post! Good detail in the cause by the diagrams also! (y) Nice one Faz182.

Black 182 + Recaros

172beast -

" Boot it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd through the gears, knocks when it grips and continues to knock throughout all 3 gears for me, bang bang bang bang then smaller less consistent knock in 3rd "

Isnt this thread referring to the knocking that occurrs at low speed, whilst driving through traffic, on and off the accelerator ?

Your knocking sounds like traction control to me.

yeh arent we getting confused ??, i didnt think we could cure the knocking when accelerating hard !!, if thats the case mine does not knock in traffic

172beast

mk1 172 doesnt have traction control and Im not reffering the banging under wheelspin, I only get knocking when booting it, even if Im doing 30mph in 2nd and gun it, itll knock, is this not a cure for this form of knocking? Only knocking I get?

Black 182 + Recaros

No, this fixes the low speed "on / off" accelerator knocking. Well it did on my car. Perhaps Faz182 can confirm this as well.

We should give names to all these different knocking noises, so we know which is which.

Black 182 + Recaros

I have not heard anyone mention knocking on the 172 MK1. I owned the MK1 and it never knocked. Only after purchasing the 172 MK2 did all the problems start.

Yaris Hybrid

Just been out and played with my mount. I had a 1mm gap in between the surround and the rubber block closest to the front of the car.

I pulled the surround the other way so that when I tightened up the four bolts the 1mm gap was in between the surround and the rubber block closest to the driver. This drastically reduced the knocking on lift-off but created a little "tap" noise everytime I dabbed the throttle!

So I pulled the mount the other way and wedged it with a screwdriver so the gap was about 2mm on the front of the car side of the mount. I stuck a piece of cut-off innertube in the gap then released the wedge which completely sealed the gap and tightened up the four bolts. This seems to have cured the knock. If I really deliberately try to make it knock by doing stupid stuff it can make a slight noise but that is hardly surprising.

It would knock real bad before if I was accelerating in second but then changed up to third whilst at the same time completely lifting off. This appears to be cured. Will take it out later for a longer run to double check.

I dare say my rubber blocks will compress further so that I have a 5mm gap either side like other owners. Will cross that bridge when I come to it!

Well hats off to your man for coming up with this fix.

This knocking has been doing my tits in for a couple of weeks now, car has been in at reno 4 times now in 9 weeks ownership for other stuff, so this has saved me a further visit.

slackened the four bolts today and moved the black frame till it was more square on with the rubbers. wedged the engine forwards a little and jammed a piece of flat rubber about 1mm thick closest to the window rubber. tightened the bolts took it for a test drive and problem solved,

So cheers ma man for coming up with this fix, saved me any hassles with reno, as we all know how good they are at spotting and fixing faults.

Keevster

Arctic Blue 182

To confirm, this thread is a fix for the knocking noise while deccelerating at low speeds.

Glad to see it seems to be fixing all your problems, and I have been of some help.

Sheff Utd 2-1 Cardiff **Up the Blades!!** :D

Arctic Blue 182

yeah good idea toypop, or a pinned topic at least. Its a common problem on 182s and other Sports by the sounds of it, and saves people delving in a search.

insignia

I thought this was the knocking noise when accelerating hard in 1st? If it is,mine does it all the time but only in 1st gear when booting.There is 1 bolt holding the engine mount,but you guys have been saying there are 4 bolts?

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by silvercup182 on 21 December 2004
Faz does it fix the knock-knock-knock when starting the engine?

It did on mine, as well as when lifting at low speeds and turning the engine off.

Yaris Hybrid

There are photos showing the four bolts on the previous pages. They hold the surround, not the mount itself.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 21 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by silvercup182 on 21 December 2004

Faz does it fix the knock-knock-knock when starting the engine?

It did on mine, as well as when lifting at low speeds and turning the engine off.
Yeah, when turning the engine off you could really hear it bad on mine. Not any more though :)

Ford Fiesta

might do this now cos Im tired of hearing mine. Do the bolts need tightening to a specific tightness?

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 21 December 2004

I thought this was the knocking noise when accelerating hard in 1st? If it is,mine does it all the time but only in 1st gear when booting.There is 1 bolt holding the engine mount,but you guys have been saying there are 4 bolts?
no, as far as I am aware this is the traction control kicking in to try and stop the wheels spinning, it just sounds like the engine is trying to jump out of the bay because it is cutting power to the front wheels and they sound like they are jumping.

This is not a fault but how the traction control system works to stop wheelspin.

insignia

Nope mate, tration control doesnt do that. My knocking noise is definately something to do with the mount,traction doesnt make a noise at all.My knocking noice happens as soon as the wheels loose grip before the traction control has anytime to kickin.So back to the original question,is it just a simple case of loosening the bolts,centering the mount and tightening???

Ford Fiesta

yes thats the idea 182 sport. But make sure you also get the "cuh cuh" when releasing the accelerator in first and second at low speeds as this is what it sorts out.

so a specific tightness or not?

dk

911 GTS Cab

Nope mate, tration control doesnt do that. My knocking noise is definately something to do with the mount,traction doesnt make a noise at all.My knocking noice happens as soon as the wheels loose grip before the traction control has anytime to kickin.So back to the original question,is it just a simple case of loosening the bolts,centering the mount and tightening???
i think you are mistaking traction control with ESP but I am no expert. The loud noise when booting it in first is the traction and is not what this thread is about.

what we are all talking about here happens at very low speeds and has nothing to do with losing grip, it is purely an engine moving problem when you lift off the accelerator when in traffic, there is a quiet single knock noise from the engine bay which is what this fix is for.

dk

911 GTS Cab

So is there anyway of sorting the bang bang noise out when booting it in 1st gear?
as far as I am aware this is normal. maybe one of the RTEs can confirm this but thats how i understand it.

Yaris Hybrid

If you read my post further up you will see that I had to stick a piece of innertube rubber in mine.

So does anyone know what is knocking on what ?

Ive adjusted as above - this has cured the knocking when lifting off the accelerator, etc in traffic, but still get a light knocking when going over cobbles or over a drop-kerb into drive way.

Ive varied the position of the surround and found that the knock occurs under different circumstances depending upon the position of the black bracket (eg: re-position it and cure the knocking when lifting off, but get a knock when changing gear).

Its frustrating not knowing exactly what is happening to make the knock..........any thoughts ??

insignia

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 21 December 2004

So is there anyway of sorting the bang bang noise out when booting it in 1st gear?
as far as I am aware this is normal. maybe one of the RTEs can confirm this but thats how i understand it.
Well it definately is a design fault somewhere because it shouldnt bloody do it,and it sounds awful when youve passengers in the car,and youve gotta explain that all renos do it.It really is a hard banging that it makes.

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by scooby stu on 22 December 2004

yeah, I know its the mount, but is it part of the component itself thats knocking or is the mount fouling on something else ?
Its the rubber bungs hitting against the surround as far as I could tell. If you read my post you will see I cut off a bit of old bike inner tube and used it to fill the gap. That stopped it altogether.

I had a very small gap, if you have a bigger gap you will need a bigger chunk of rubber.