ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 ’knocking’ sorted once & for all

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3

i dont think its actually any part of the mount touching the outer surround making the noise, more the fact that the surround is allowing to much movement of the engine and something will be making contact somewhere as its a large engine in a small bay.

Yaris Hybrid

Yeah I thought that might be the case too.

However I only had a 1mm gap so surely that isnt enough movement for it to make contact somewhere else?

AHHHHHH I HATE RENAULT I can now confirm there is no new modified mount!!! took my car to renault today and guess what? they wanted to change my gear box mount.... I said can you look at this print out they said no! thay have all the info they need! impretty sure the gear box is on the passenger side?

Arctic Blue 182

Quote: Originally posted by silvercup182 on 23 December 2004
AHHHHHH I HATE RENAULT I can now confirm there is no new modified mount!!! took my car to renault today and guess what? they wanted to change my gear box mount.... I said can you look at this print out they said no! thay have all the info they need! impretty sure the gear box is on the passenger side?

The printout being this thread I take it? Why are they so unwilling to listen to other peoples view on things in order to help fix the problem?

Suppose I was lucky to get a pretty persistant technician who was as keen as me to find the problem. We ended up routing around under then bonnet the the dealers car park!

Keep badgering them mate.

I have centered my mount so I dont get the knock when driving.... should I be happy with that? it just does it when starting and stopping the engine!

Arctic Blue 182

Dont know anything about the knocking when starting and stopping the engine, so fraid I cant help you there. My 182 doesnt do that. Only the one when deccelerating at low speeds.

Have just booked my car in for the new year. Tried to book it in at the dealer I bought it from...wanted to charge me £10 for the priviledge of having a courtesy car! Customer service.......ridiculous you book your car in for warranty work and they want to try and charge for at least something.....bl**dy cheek of it. Even suggested I could use my own insurance.....

"Sorry Sir, all courtesy cars have to be covered by our policy and therefore you will have to pay £10."

Now come on this charge doesnt correspond to any cost that will hit the dealer for me personally driving their courtesy car, as they will have a general annual policy for all use! Theyre just trying to be sneaky and get the unsuspecting customer to pay up. Outrageous!

I realise this isnt a Renault issue per se, rather a specific dealer franchise policy, but it still grates! Argghh sorry rant over!

Needless to say the car is booked in with another local Renault dealer whom will not be charging me for the use of their courtesy car! Now thats better.

Incidentally, after talking both dealers through the problem they said that they would not be able to refer to any "unofficial" information, such as a non Renault website, while I understand the principles behind this, on this ocassion where we have numerous 172 and 182 owners with the same blinking problem they should attach some level of authority to this information, especially when dealers across the country have begun to resolve the problem. Sorry I said the rant was over....well it is now...well until the 10th January when I take my car in!

insignia

After reading all this I assume that this method of fixin the bang bang noise is not for fixing the bang bang noise when accelerating in 1st?????

Clio 182

Hi peeps,i too have the knocking sound,it is more noticeable when in first gear going walking pace,if i lift of the accelarator i get a clunk which sounds to be coming from the drivers side front.I had mine in today at Renault and they want it back on Wednesday to do a "strut top modification" but after reading this thread i now beg to differ.I took a piccy of mine and as you can see the rubber is up against the black suround on the windscreen side and there must be nearly 5mm of gap on the otherside.So does it sound like my problem????

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1105380537__TopMount.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1105380537__TopMount.jpg

Clio 182

Hi peeps,i too have the knocking sound,it is more noticeable when in first gear going walking pace,if i lift of the accelarator i get a clunk which sounds to be coming from the drivers side front.I had mine in today at Renault and they want it back on Wednesday to do a "strut top modification" but after reading this thread i now beg to differ.I took a piccy of mine and as you can see the rubber is up against the black suround on the windscreen side and there must be nearly 5mm of gap on the otherside.So does it sound like my problem????

Mini Cooper S sport

Im taking in the 172 on Wednesday to get my knocking noise fixed - it does it when accelerating and braking - especially when in slow-moving traffic!

Ill tell them about the right-hand engine mount, and get them to check the exhaust/heat shield as well.

Mike (Shermy) do you think it might be you looking at it on Weds morning?

Clio 182

Yep you were right Toypop, i picked the car up today from the Renault dealers after having this so called "strut Mod" done which incidently Reno UK had told them to do,and........it still KNOCKS just like before:mad: I even told them about the top engine mounting which everyone has found problems with but they had never heard of that one before. So tomorrow i will centre it myself. So i am right that i just need to slacken the four silver bolts and tap it central with a hammer?

Yaris Hybrid

I didnt tap mine, I was able to move it by hand after loosening it.

My advice looking at the picture above is to loosen the four bolts then wedge a large screwdriver or something in on the right handside (front of the car side) and lever it out to make the gap even bigger than it currently is.

Then get someone to hold your wedge in place and stick a thick bit of rubber in the enlarged gap. Then release the wedge, the slack will be taken up as it springs back and hey presto a tight fit on both sides - dont forget to tighten the bolts back up!

If you just centre the mount you could get double trouble as I did because a gap on the left (rear side) causes knocking when you accelerate and a gap on the right (front side) causes knocking when you lift off.

I have fixed mine with a washing up sponge! cut 2 small strips and put it either side to fill the gaps between the bungs and the mount! hey presto no knocking I wish i could post a pic it looks well sh*t... plan to do a better fix when I have time with some black adhesive foam! Im just glad the knocking has gone !

I know it sounds stupid but how di I post a pic?

p.s Renault are sh*t they wanted to change the gearbox mount! I said no way I will fix it myself and I have cant wait for them to ask what the sponge is for at the first service:devilish:

Clio 182

Thanks for that,i can see where your coming from regarding the "double trouble" bit if i just centre it without any packing. I will have to dig out an old pair of my rubber pants to stuff in....Oooo Errrr:D Lol

Focus ST3

My 172cup had also developed this knocking

My local Renault (cross roads of abingdon) suggested the problem straight away and have sorted it - guess I am lucky!

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Faz182 on 23 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by silvercup182 on 23 December 2004

The printout being this thread I take it? Why are they so unwilling to listen to other peoples view on things in order to help fix the problem?

Suppose I was lucky to get a pretty persistant technician who was as keen as me to find the problem. We ended up routing around under then bonnet the the dealers car park!

Keep badgering them mate.

I friend of mine took a printout from here and they again refused to look at it, stating that this printout is wrong and they have fixed the abos serv light loads of times.

Guess what 6 hours later abs serv light back on.

pmsl.!!!

ClioSport 182

I am going attempt to do this fix this week. Reading through the posts various rubber items have been stuck in the gap:

* Inner-tube

* "Gobbo" stuff - no idea what this is!

* Flat rubber

My question is: have these solutions lasted the test of time? I.e. did the rubber stay in place or has it moved around due to the engine movement? What size rubber patch should I use so that it wont move around too much?

KnightAzul

Yaris Hybrid

I used a thick bit of old motorcycle innertube. It definitely has moved a bit. It has leaned sideways by about 20 degrees but because of its width and length (it touches the bottom of the surround and sticks up an inch and a half above the mount) it hasnt made any difference and could easily move a lot more and still fill the gap.

I wouldnt put a small bit of rubber in.

Granted mine doesnt look tidy sticking up and on an angle but its still doing the job and I have no knocking. It would only be a 2 minute job to put it back straight but I see no point as it will only move again.

Black 182 + Recaros

I didnt use anything on mine. I simply re-adjusted the engine mount. Its been a month now and mine hasnt moved at all.

Knight, I had to use a strip of double sided tape to keep the sponge in place but its now been 2 weeks no knock..... looks a bit crap but I will look into some adhesive backed foam to do a proper fix!

the method I used was wet a washing up sponge then let it dry out... you can then compress it real flat attach a bit of ds dape at one end push it into the gap stick it on and hey presto.... oh yea put a few deops of water or WD40 on it the sponge swells back up to fill the gap real tight.

what a bodge I know but it does not knock! renault cant fix it at all!

[Edited by silvercup182 on 17 January 2005 at 9:24am]

I placed a bit of rubber in the gap and it made the knock worse, al li have done is re-aligned the mount and there is no knock.

I had the problem of the CUH noise during accelerator lift off until today. I took my 172 cup into Vardys and told them about this forum and the mount problem. I also told them about the fix you guys have come up with especially wedging some rubber in the gap. Straight away the technician said he would be able to do this no problem. Got it back 30 mins later with a small circular piece of rubber wedged in and so far no more knocking. Looks like this is the best fix for the problem. Hopefully it will be made official. Thanks to everyone getting together and coming up with this. After at least seven trips to Vardys this is hopefully finally sorted.

ClioSport 182

Quote: Originally posted by SWEET172CUP on 21 January 2005

Got it back 30 mins later with a small circular piece of rubber wedged in and so far no more knocking. Looks like this is the best fix for the problem.
Just for my understanding ... this fix was like a thick rubber band put round the mount?

Thx,

KnightAzul

182 sport I had this problem when accelerating hard and the revs get high. It almost seems like wheel spin but you know its not. Feels a bit bumpy and lose a bit traction. If this is the case it sounds like the same problem we had. Our problem was caused by a fault with the drive shaft which was replaced and this corrected the problem. Get the garage to check it out.THERE IS A RENAULT FIX FOR THIS ONE. HOORAY!!

KnightAzul the rubber is button shaped approx. 3cm diameter and about 4-5mm thick. This was wedged in the gap which was on the side of the mount that is nearest to the front of the engine bay between the existing tapered bit rubber attached to the engine side of the mount and the big metal bracket with 4 bolts that is attached to the chassis.

Clio 182

Hurray,the knock has now gone:) I took the car back to the local Renault Dealer after they had done the suspension mod which unfortunatly didnt cure the problem.I mentiond about this thread to the service manager who seemed very interested in it and we went on his pc and logged onto this thread and he was suprised on how many people with 172/182s were having this problem,he couldnt understand why Renault Uk dont seem to be aware of this problem....Well now hopefully they are as he was going to send them an email about this site and info

ClioSport 182

I finally got round to trying to implement this fix this weekend and had a few probs. I used a screwdriver to try and lever the gap open a little to slide some stickybacked foam into the gap. With it being stickybacked it was impossible. It got stuck before going into the gap.

Ok, so I undid the 4 screws in the hope to remove the metal surround, but it wouldnt come off. There were some metal clasps which held it in place. No matter how I wiggled the surround it would not come off. Arghh! Can this be taken off easliy? ... and if so how??

I finally shoved some of the foam in the gap but with the sticky side covered with paper. This will probably fall out at the earliest opportunity.

KnightAzul

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R

I got a crow bar wedged in and levered the engine towards the front of the car.... then packed as much tube in both sides as I could.... hey presto the noise had gone..... a few weeks later it fell out and the knocking re-accured.... so I did the same but siliconed it in.... been spot onn!...

muz

big fat japanese bus

I had this nooise plus a nasty banging under hard acceleration

Took it too the dealers got 2 mounts replaced

However it is doing it far worse now and also a new vibration/banging under hard acceleration in second (But not Third, dont know about first hardly use it in this wet weather)

Its going in again next tuesday so fingers crossed, I have asked to take an engineer out in teh car for a run to show him the faults so we will see what this brings up

VW Potato

guys, my mk2 172 has a knocking now, too! When pulling away from rest (not wheelspinning, not hard acceleration) sometimes it makes a loud thonk noise that sounds like its coming from the passenger side front. It happens just as/after the clutch has engaged and I can almost feel a slight jolt in the clutch pedal as it happens. I cant track it down because there no clear pattern when it happens - it doesnt always happen. So far, only happens in first gear when pulling away, not when changing gear, accelerating or decelerating. Could this be the engine mount, too?

Its in for a service on Monday so I will ask reno to fix it...but can you guide me so i can guide them as to what it is?

cheers troops,

g

Embarrassed to say

Jesus i had the first gear floor it in the wet knock in the 172 cup (no traction control) and so had to get use to it as the dealer said there was no fix. Now i got in in the 182 cup.