ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - The car for me

Hi there

I am completely new to this site (and Renault Clios) and have a few questions about the 182. I was told this would be the place to go for anwers. Hope you can help...

After a lengthy time driving a 100hp TDI Polo (sensible but boring), I have decided it is time for a new car. I do ideally want something small and fast, and my attention soon turned to the 182. It looks the business and everything Ive read about it sounds excellent.

However, the major problem is that I currently live and work in Germany and there is not a single dealer in a 3-hour-drive radius that has this car for me to testdrive. They only ever get one when it is ordered. So, basically, if I wanted to buy this car, it would be a blind purchase.

Obviously I am unlikely to be advised against the Clio on this site :) but there are a few matters I was wondering about:

1. I know a lower-spec Clio would never give you an impression of the power and handling of the 182, but would it at least help to get an impression of the "basic car"?

2. Can I assure my girlfriend (206 fan) that the Clio would suitable for longish journeys, i.e. cruising down German motorways at 100+ mph, in terms of comfort and refinement? Is road and wind noise ok? Also, is the sports suspension (without the Cup Pack) still comfortable? Have driven some cars where it was pretty horrid...

3. The one major criticism Ive read about the Clio is the driving position. Is it really that bad?

Sorry about the long post and very detailed questions, but thought it best to be clear :)

Answers and any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

1) No I dont think driving a basic clio would help at all.

2) Honestly the clio is quite loud at speed (the cup is louder), mostly engine noise I find it OK tho especially with some tunes on :) However, the car is comofortable with or without cup pack.

3) You soon get used to the driving position, doesnt really bother me at all now.

Lee

BMW M2C

Hi, welcome to Cliosport.

Ill have a go at answering your questions mate.

1) Nope, any other Clio in the range wont give you an idea of how the 182 is. Ive had other Clios are courtesy cars and its totally different to drive in practically every way. The most youll get from it is the style of the interior and build quality, everything else is totally different.

2) Ive got the Cup pack on mine and have covered 16500 miles in 10 months. Ive driven from Birmingham to Spa and the Nurburgring and found it comfortable and not at all tiring on long motorway drives. With the cruise control its quite relaxing. Of course nasty road surfaces make it more unpleasant.

3) When I first got mine I didnt like the seating position, but its not that bad and you soon get used to it. The wheel can only be moved up and down which is a shame as it could really use a reach adjustment too. The seats are also a little high, but again you soon get used to it.

Hope that helps.

Lee

Great, thanks for that!

Just two more questions:

1. Can the 182 also be driven "politely", just for nipping around town. Obviously Ill try to thrash it around when I can, but my other half isnt really a racer and is a little worried about a small car with so many horses...

2. Is this car good enough to permit a blind purchase?

Cheers!

VaVa

The 182/172s are fantastic for idleing about it. Very flexible engine, as happy pottering about below 4000rpm as they are screaming above it.

They can be quite noisy at 100 mph. Your looking at about 5krpm in fifth at a ton....

I bought my 172 off the internet. Go to a Renault dealers and test drive ne first.

Lee

BMW M2C

I drive mine a 42 mile round trip in and out of Birmingham City centre so it has to be good for the commute otherwise it would be a nightmare. Admittedly when Ive had a 1.2 courtesy car thats been far more comfortable in traffic, but the 182 is fine, just the heavier clutch, but you soon get used to that.

I didnt test drive the 182. I had a 172 already and figured they wouldnt make a worse car, the reviews were good so I went for it.

Youll get mixed answers on here for the last question, some will be biased and say Yes it is, others will be bitter for some reason and say no.

Personally Id want to at least try one of the Renault Sport models before buying.

tiTTy & SV650

I drive a 182 without cup suspension 300 miles between home and work and find it very comfortable, my main issue is the driving position being too high. Itll be quite loud at 100+ as its up at 5k+ rpm.

It can be driven politlely cause in the low rev range its not that fast.

You will get used to the driving position and forget all about it as you enjoy everything else about the car.

All i can add is, if youve never been in a clio then go and have a sit in one, anyone.

This will give you a feel for the seating position at least.

Just dont go for a drive in it, it might put you off, specially if its a 1.2, but you can also get a feel for the controls e.g. the remote radio controls etc.

Ive got the non-cup suspension, but do a lot of M/way miles, and comfort is not a problem.

And yes they are fine around town.

As for blind purchase at the end of the day its up to you.

All IMO of course.

DC5

Hi,

1) Yeah it is a great little car for nippin about town. You can drive it like any other car, but then you have got the power when you want it.

2) A blind purchase is always risky no matter what you are looking at buying. But I dont think you would be disappointed with a 182. Its a great car to drive, and has got plenty of extras. The driving position isnt all that bad, and you soon get used to it.

If you want to drive around with a permanent smile on your face - BUY ONE!

Lionel Richie

the driving position is exactly the same in any new clio

if you go for one, go for either a cup, or one with cup suspension

The cup supension is that essential is it?

I dont mind a car with stiffer suspension, but I find theres a thin line between acceptable and downright rough.

From what Ive heard, the cup suspension tends towards the latter...

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by jackstraxx on 09 May 2005

The cup supension is that essential is it?

I dont mind a car with stiffer suspension, but I find theres a thin line between acceptable and downright rough.

From what Ive heard, the cup suspension tends towards the latter...
even with the cup suspension theres far too much body roll in my opinion

the car is no where near uncomfortable, far from it

definately go for the cup suspension.

you wont get another car like this for the money.

it can be driven normally no problem and yet on track it handles amazingly well.

go for it!

I drive my other halfs bum-basic 1.2 a lot and would say that youd get a good idea about the dashboard and controls from a non-Renaultsport Clio. The Dynamique (sporty trim) models are near identical to the 182 Cup interior in that they share seats etc. The brakes on the basic models are excellent and theyd give you a taste of the power that the 182 ones offer. However, the steering and suspension are really very different.

Id say that at 100mph my Ph2 172 (which really is pretty much the same as a 182) isnt particularly refined, but then thats the price to pay for quick acceleration. Compared with the 1.2, my 172 is definitely just as pleasant to drive around town at about 2,000rpm, but as with the old 16V and Williams, the clutch does kick back at you with some force.

I dont think youd find the "Cup" suspension option noticeably harsher than the standard setting. I think something like 80% of 182s are sold with this option!

Personally, I think you will find that coming from a VW TDI, the 182 will feel a bit lethargic under 4,500rpm, on nice open roads when you can really open it up its fine, but round town it will feel flat, as for the ride, it is a little harsh unless you are on newly laid tarmac, but to be fair it is a performance hatch and the handling more than makes up for it in my opinion.