ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vs. 200 for daily use

Clio Trophy
A bit of background, work situation is changing (significantly less money due to shifts stopping) so I'd rather not be using my Boxster quite so much to work (currently 50 mile round trip, usually 3 times a week vs. the same twice a week in the Trophy) due to general maintenance and repairs costing a good bit more than the Trophy, dampers notwithstanding.

As cracking as the Trophy is, it isn't the sort of car I really want to make my main daily driver, say four times a week from now on and using the Boxster once a week to give it a run. It's great fun on the right road but it's noisy and not the nicest place to spend time on a commute. As such I'll consider selling it later this year, as much as I don't really want to.

Now I know the 200 isn't exactly an S-class, but in comparison to the 182, is it significantly easier to live with day to day? The interior seems to be a significant improvement over the 182 (not hard) and I've read it is generally more refined, to what extent is the question.

I can live with a hard ride like the Trophy's as long as it isn't at the detriment of composure over poor surfaces. A lot of the B roads round my way are pretty bumpy and the Trophy, while very firm, is utterly composed through it all. Have read mixed things with the 200 Cup being brilliant on smooth roads but suffering when it gets bumpy. Can anyone offer experience on the regular 200 vs. the Cup on such roads?

If it isn't that much easier to live with day to day, I'm open to suggestions for something that's around the £5-6k mark and with generally cheap consumables etc.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Theresa thread on here about the 197 etc being a crap daily, might be worth a read.

Tbh if I was doing any sort of miles, I do 15 a day to work and back, the 182 wouldn't be my choice in a daily. But for my commute I love my car

Clio Trophy
Theresa thread on here about the 197 etc being a crap daily, might be worth a read.

Tbh if I was doing any sort of miles, I do 15 a day to work and back, the 182 wouldn't be my choice in a daily. But for my commute I love my car
Yeah I had seen that, it's more in direct comparison to the 182 I'm interested in. These cars will always feel relatively raw compared to most modern cars but if it was toned back a noticeable amount, as I'm hoping the 200 might be, I like to think I could live with it.

Clio Trophy
Third car is out of the question (look likely to lose around £400/450 a month net), two cars may be pushing it as is but won't know for a bit.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
200 with cup pack was my daily (bought it new in2010) and I got rid of it after a year. Suspension, whilst epic on track and B road blasting, was back breaking on the country lanes and beyond skittish on the motorway. They're really hard for a standard car imo.
Me personally, I'd rather buy something else.
That said, I'm looking at getting rid of my current car for a 197 as they're f**king brilliant! Lol

RS Clio 182
I found the 182 better for a daily than a 200. My 200 feels very highly strung,and ready to go on the track all the time..

If you get a 200,make sure its had the EFI Map to sort out the flatspot/kangaroo issue,which is a pain in the ass.

Clio 197
I've had both (182/197) the standard ride in the 197 is harsher than the 182 however it makes up for it with the better out of the box handling IMHO.

A 50 mile commute is substantial, I would be looking for something else TBH (Volvo D5/ BMW 330 etc)

320d
As above I would just get a more mundane and comfortable car for that kind of commute.

I do my 56 mile round trip (takes an hour+ each way) in an F30 320d and it is significantly more pleasant than in the Astra VXR Burg that it replaced (which is in turn far more refined than a Clio).

Given you have a superb second car I'd be happy to live with a practical daily.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Definitely want to try doing 80mph in both Clios and check the rev counter before you consider this.. i'm assuming you've driven 200s before though ? If not - get that done ! Make sure the test drive includes the sort of roads / driving that you're going to be doing in it, for obvious reasons.

£1500 auto 330i would be where my money went for a commuting waftmobile though.. keep the toys as toys :up:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
When I first moved to the north west I used to do a 90mile round commute in the 197.

110% would not recommend. The fuel bill for a start was hilarious. Even at 50mph most of the way.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I had a 200 (non cup), and it's a better daily than a 182. But meg r26/225 are similar money. An r26 is a better daily than a 200, and better on a b road.

That's where my money would go.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I had a 200 (non cup), and it's a better daily than a 182. But meg r26/225 are similar money. An r26 is a better daily than a 200, and better on a b road.

This really.

There's not really a reason to buy a clio ov for a Megane now.

I only got the clio because I couldn't reasonably insure a Megane at 21 when I got the clio

RS Clio 182
Clio 200 at 70 mph is around 4K RPM in 6th gear.....i thought the ratios wouldve been a lot longer. And with an Akra fitted that is a very loud drone on the motorway..

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I done 500 miles a week in my 197, all B roads with a stretch of motorway at 5am start 8pm finish so it was quiet roads and was a riot, I loved it although it kept breaking lol done the same trip for a bit in my 172 cup and it was equally as fun but I was exhausted when I got home lol the mk3 is much better to live with, of course the suspension is stiff but its a lot less rattles, light clutch, lighter steering, more refined at low speeds/revs. mine was less noisy than the cup too

Clio Trophy
Have never driven or been in a 200. Getting a chance to drive one wouldn't be straightforward.

Anyone know of someone around Tayside on here with one that would be willing to take me out as a passenger?

I found the 182 better for a daily than a 200. My 200 feels very highly strung,and ready to go on the track all the time..

If you get a 200,make sure its had the EFI Map to sort out the flatspot/kangaroo issue,which is a pain in the ass.
Highly strung isn't an issue, I'm more talking of general refinement in the cabin. I'd say the 182 and the Boxster are both highly strung in themselves. 5k+ required in both to really start shifting.

I've had both (182/197) the standard ride in the 197 is harsher than the 182 however it makes up for it with the better out of the box handling IMHO.

A 50 mile commute is substantial, I would be looking for something else TBH (Volvo D5/ BMW 330 etc)
The Trophy is solid and I could put up with its ride. I'd rather keep to some kind of hot hatch to take advantage of the back roads home from spring-summer than going for a saloon of some sort. I had an e39 M5 before the Boxster and I'm basically finding out there's nothing that can touch it for all round capability, fun and comfort.

I'd have thought the smaller, lighter Clio would be the one better on a B road? Given that's more or less its forte.

If I looked at the Meganes then that'd bring in the likes of the Golf GTI (Mk.5) and Civic Type R (FN2). Providing running costs for any of these aren't surprisingly high.

Have never driven or been in a 200. Getting a chance to drive one wouldn't be straightforward.

Anyone know of someone around Tayside on here with one that would be willing to take me out as a passenger?

Highly strung isn't an issue, I'm more talking of general refinement in the cabin. I'd say the 182 and the Boxster are both highly strung in themselves. 5k+ required in both to really start shifting.

The Trophy is solid and I could put up with its ride. I'd rather keep to some kind of hot hatch to take advantage of the back roads home from spring-summer than going for a saloon of some sort. I had an e39 M5 before the Boxster and I'm basically finding out there's nothing that can touch it for all round capability, fun and comfort.

I'd have thought the smaller, lighter Clio would be the one better on a B road? Given that's more or less its forte.

If I looked at the Meganes then that'd bring in the likes of the Golf GTI (Mk.5) and Civic Type R (FN2). Providing running costs for any of these aren't surprisingly high.

I can vouch for the FN2 for a decent daily. I use it up and down the motorway to devon each week and is extremely comfortable and of course reliable(at least mine is). Full of toys too

Clio Trophy
I can vouch for the FN2 for a decent daily. I use it up and down the motorway to devon each week and is extremely comfortable and of course reliable(at least mine is). Full of toys too
I've read of the ride being hard but I'm assuming it isn't going to be any harder than a Trophy.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

No. I've had both, the r26 is better in every respect (unless it has to be na).

RB Clio 182
I dont understand this daily/comfortable malarkey, its a car, you have a seat, a steering wheel and 3 pedals(unless auto), theyre all the same imho.

Clio Trophy
I dont understand this daily/comfortable malarkey, its a car, you have a seat, a steering wheel and 3 pedals(unless auto), theyre all the same imho.
Then you need to drive some comfy cars for perspective! :wink:

An example would be a drive to Fort William for me, 140 miles. Doing it in an M5 and a Clio Trophy is night and day.

Clio Trophy
Maybe, but i like to feel like im in a racecar 100% it keeps me alert and on edge, a couch potato on wheels aint for me.
That's fair enough but a car not being the former doesn't mean it's the latter. It's a balancing act.

When it's the depths of winter, pitch black and pouring with rain, feeling like you might be in a racing car is irritating when you just want to get back from work and relax. As an example.

RB Clio 182
That's fair enough but a car not being the former doesn't mean it's the latter. It's a balancing act.

When it's the depths of winter, pitch black and pouring with rain, feeling like you might be in a racing car is irritating when you just want to get back from work and relax. As an example.
Im not sure how you cant relax in a 182 tho, its got a cumfy seat.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
A car can be comfortable and relaxing (less fatiguing), and still brilliant to drive. An e46 m3 for example, better at both aspects than a 182 (for example).

A Mk5 gti is the ultimate all rounder (at that price point).

Clio 182
My 200 is giving me 32mpg but it's got completely the wrong size tyres and it's tricking the speedo etc.

I'd say the 200 is easier than the 182 day to day but agree the ride is harsh with cup chassis.
The rest is just effortless

Clio Trophy
Im not sure how you cant relax in a 182 tho, its got a cumfy seat.
There's more to it than a decent seat. Noise is its main issue. It's always noisy when cruising. Least refined car I've had.

A car can be comfortable and relaxing (less fatiguing), and still brilliant to drive. An e46 m3 for example, better at both aspects than a 182 (for example).

A Mk5 gti is the ultimate all rounder (at that price point).
I'm not sure on that point. Don't get me wrong, I got more enjoyment out of my M5 more of the time because it was so well rounded but the Clio would be more outright fun on the right road if that makes sense.

Granted I haven't driven the M3 but I'd include the Boxster in that too. 182 Trophy is the most fun car I've driven- it's just that its ideal operating window is much narrower and at extremes.
i.e. the twistiest, most up and down road you can find.

RB Clio 182
Its also noisy, unrefined, rattles, has a woeful seating position, melting steering wheel etc etc

Horses for courses.
I guess so but to me, unless your talking about a caterham or an elise, then a 182 makes a great daily, you are sat in a comfy seat, hardly moving any part of your body(i move more when i do the ironing), its not like you are sprinting up mount everast in a pair of cloggs wearing a jockstrap.

Sorry for going off topic, but a car with 5 seats and a boot does the job as a daily imho, its just driving, its not that hard or physically draining imho, your just sat down twitching your left foot every now and then.

Clio 197
It depends entirely on the type of roads your journey consists of. Motorways journeys are fine, especially if it's got a standard exhaust on it as they're very quiet. It'll also be ok around town as there won't be a flatspot. Ride is also good on standard non-cup springs. The cabin is very much a nice place to be over the previous gen Clios. Although be warned, fuel economy around town is very poor. There have been quite a few owners (including me) who have reported mid to high teens for mpg.

RB Clio 182
It depends entirely on the type of roads your journey consists of. Motorways journeys are fine, especially if it's got a standard exhaust on it as they're very quiet. It'll also be ok around town as there won't be a flatspot. Ride is also good on standard non-cup springs. The cabin is very much a nice place to be over the previous gen Clios. Although be warned, fuel economy around town is very poor. There have been quite a few owners (including me) who have reported mid to high teens for mpg.
Can you get the 197's/200's mapped for better mpg?

Why are the so much worse than a 1*2 on fuel, weight?

They are no tank compared to modern cars tbh.

Clio 197
Can you get the 197's/200's mapped for better mpg?

Why are the so much worse than a 1*2 on fuel, weight?

They are no tank compared to modern cars tbh.
I believe there is normally a couple mpg to be gained with a remap, but there's no "economy map" so to speak. I reckon it's entirely down to the weight and the lack of low end torque. 1240 kg isn't that much weight for a car but I have a feeling they weigh more than that, especially those with a panoramic sunroof. It would be interesting to see what sort of figures FN2 owners get.

RS Clio 182
My 200 is a lot worse for fuel than my old 182 - no idea why. 27 MPG atm and my 182 was over 30.

Another issue i have with the 200 is when the engine is cold during the first 10 minutes,theres almost no power and the engine sounds really rough - its fine after though. Its just frustrating when youre doing a short lunch break drive everyday. I never got that with the 182 - thats why i class that as a better daily..

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I do a load of miles in my Dynamique S Clio IV and I never get the urge to take the trophy these days, I only drive it when I'm going out for a blast, I have no want to sit in traffic or drive thru town in it! and its 100% standard, hardly a race car - Lovely seating position, arm rest, the best climate control ive ever felt in any French heap, fantastic stereo. all things you want on a daily that the clio trophy doesn't deliver!

which asks the question, have you tried a 200EDC/220EDC Trophy?