ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 wishbone balljoint queries?

200 cup & 106 GTi
Hi :approve:

Need new wishbone balljoints for my trophy.
From looking at them it's the same/similar setup to all other clios, the balljoints are bolted to the wishbones with two bolts and the strut with one bolt.

Now i went into renault to order some bits, and was very disappointed to see that it showed the balljoint seperately but only listed the full wishbone for the trophy, at £110+vat for a pair i'm not really having it.

Is there anything different about trophy & normal 182 balljoints? I might just get two normal clio ones and measure them up with the vernier and compare side by side, if the balljoint sits at the same angle, is the same size and thickness etc i can't see why i couldn't use normal clio ones. I get the feeling renault are just plotting to rip everyone off?!

Come on, someone on here must know :star:

Cheers

200 cup & 106 GTi
Come on

All of my other queries have been answered adequately, i have the faith in cliosport that someone will know the answer to this :)

Not a poxy Renault
I think Renault only sell the complete wishbone for the 182 aswell, not the seperate balljoints. I can't imagine that they'd be different though, I'm 99% sure they use the same hubs. If in doubt, see if you can get Renault part No's for both the Trophy and normal 182 to compare.
I managed to get my 2 balljoints from the motor factors for around £25 the pair, I seem to remember that there are 2 joints avaliable, defined by their bolt sizes, one is 10mm the other 12. 182's use the 12mm size.

www.renparts.co.uk
as above they only sell the complete arm with balljoint for all the 172/182's. The normal clio ones bolt spacing is different where it bolts to the arm, some places do non genuine but the only time i have ever bought a non genuine one for an RS they gave it as the same part for all including 172/182's and non rs which was incorrect as a said the bolt spacing is different so it didn't fit.

200 cup & 106 GTi
It seems strange to me, to design the balljoints to be removeable, but not sell them seperately. I'd put money on them selling them seperately in france...

Will visit a few local factors and see if they can source me some, and measure them up etc before trying to fit. As long as the balljoint is the same distance, position and angle from where it bolts to the wishbone i can't go wrong really i guess, providing it bolts on lol

200 cup & 106 GTi
Catalogue lists one part for all clios as far as i can see. Will ring my guy at some point in the near future, can't beat trade price, free same day delivery, invoice at end of month etc lol Just shelled out £160 for genuine renault rear discs, bearings and pads, after the balljoints all i'm doing is possibly damper refurb, perhaps leave that till 60k, cambelt - which i'm gonna do myself, argh! And that should tide it over for a few years, oil & filter changes aside, i hope...

M

mini-valver

I haven't had to put a balljoint on mine, I have had them off though when I swapped a hub so if the standard ones dont fit, someone must sell them for the RS's!

Belts are easy enough if you have the locking tools....
Damper refurb though, £££!

200 cup & 106 GTi
She's on 47k now i think, doing a lot of miles mainly on country roads, the balljoints aren't screwed but i can feel and hear them starting to go, passed mot with them a few months ago anyway, would rather do them now just so i can leave it. Same with the other stuff. Damper refurb is under £400 iirc so acceptable, beats £3k for new ones...

I'm on a mission to find balljoints!

Belt change looks a bit of a pig. Any ideas on a guide to it? I'll buy/borrow the tools. Looks like the tensioner is "self adjusting" as in you turn it till the arrow lines up and the tension is correct, which is the only thing that ever pisses me off, damn tensioning.

M2 Competition
How would i know if my balljoints had gone?

Weird clunking feedback through steering wheel on full lock in reverse, light steering devoid of feeling are my symptoms.

Have replaced front dampers as one was shot, ball joints need doing to?

M

mini-valver

Knocking over eneven ground etc. If you get the car in the air, grab the wheel top and bottom and rock it back and forth, it should be rock solid. If you feel any movement get someone to rock the wheel while you have a look under the car, just watch the ball joint in the hub for movement.

200 cup & 106 GTi
Hmm not enough depth! Damn haynes doesn't cover the 2.0. Useless! Need a proper workshop manual. Will have to source an insider in renault to photocopy/scan the renault workshop guide for me, and borrow the tools. Ballache galore!

Edit: As for balljoints, knocking on bumpy ground, usually starts only over big bumps & potholes, descends into any movement eventually lol And often it's hard to feel by hand until they're really rogered! I got through over one pair a years on my vts, damn small balljoints can't hack country blasting with very hard springs & dampers!