ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182, won't rev to limiter....

182, M3, Astra Van
My 182 has a seemingly strange fault...

It drives fine, idles fine etc no stalling when pulling up, starts perfect, however when your going through the rev range, it pulls fine low revs you can feel the timing change at circa 5k and it starts to pull even stronger, then just after 6k it seems to really struggle to pull to the rev limiter, almost as if its struggling to breath.

Ive done the belts and the dephaser, and re checked the timing again after driving it and discovering this, it times up perfect, i swapped out the bosch plugs for ngk ones after some one commented on my project thread saying they had had issues, and changed the leads as a coutesy measure.

Still no different, ive left it idling for 10 minutes then went for a good motorway run to make sure it was fully up to temp still no different, and there is no fault codes in the car....

The air filter is some s**t cone thing, ive ordered a ram air and the pipe work to do the fattys style induction kit...

any body had a similar issue?

Listerine & Poledo
Have you done the belts on these clios before?

I'm no mechanic (in any way), but all I hear on here is that it's not a simple job and very small discrepancies will cause a big effect. Possibly exactly what you describe.

clio 182 trophy
In this cold weather they do take ages to get to full temp mind. what does it redline to? should be 7250rpm. not the 6750RPM when cold.map.

182, M3, Astra Van
5k is nothing to do with timing, check lambda live data and take it from there.

any ideas on what figures i should expect to see on a 100% f4r as far as map pressure, fuel trims etc? just incase anything jumps straight out at me, as a side note, in neutral it will rev to limiter with ease, just when its under load

In this cold weather they do take ages to get to full temp mind. what does it redline to? should be 7250rpm. not the 6750RPM when cold.map.

yeah its fully up to temp, tried it again this evening and first time it hit limiter at 6750 which it does pull to ok, its around 6200 where it really bogs down, from 5 to there it goes like a rocket, then struggles, and the last 300 or so rpm is mind numbing, it does it in first too, really dakars off haha

Did you use the correct renault tools rather the the items that the tools on ebay sell?

yes genuine renault tools buddy, and I've re-checked the timing with them since, crank pin goes in when at tdc 1+4 and cam shaft setting tool goes straight in, don't have to force it at all

Clio 172 PH1
Does anyone know what was the problem? I have similar problem with my 172 Phase 1. Belts and dephaser was changed using genuine parts and tools. I'm trying figure out whats wrong with this engine for 3 months and I can't find any solution. Thanks in advance for any ideas or help.

Megane R26
My 182 pulls smoothly to 5k,then the vvt kick, then just flat and strained to the red line. I've ordered a new pre cat lambda sensor, hopefully that'll sort it.

Megane R26
Coolant thermostat

Really? How come? I'm still trying to work out why my 182 just dips down and feels strained in the last 2k rpm. Diagnostics on Eml shows issue with precat 02 sensor. And it's blowing from cat to mani joint so I was hoping it's an easy one

I was responding to the OP with my reply, but If the thermostat is goosed it will give false reading of Coolant temperature so the car won't move over from the cold map.

182, M3, Astra Van
Guys this turned out to be a faulty dephaser pulley, got another new renault one from a different dealer, rebuilt it and it goes perfect, previously it wasn't just hitting the cold limiter, from just under 6k rpm it literally had no power....