ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1999 Mk1 Dial Problems?

1.2 8V MK1 PH2
Hi Guys,

I've just got my new Renault Clio Grande, almost done 90,000 miles and seems like she's all well and good. A few niggling things need replacing such as rear coil springs and the brake servo, but other than that she's only having the cam done. Goes in for an MOT tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to how to proceed.

The dials seem to have a mind of their own, the petrol gauge fluctuates as much as one notch between journeys, whereas the temperate gauge can often be rather erratic. The main issue though is with the speedometer, which works fine some of the time but every now and again stops working completely, before cutting back in again in 10-15 minutes. There's no reason for it at all.

Is this a common problem on MK1 Clio's and if so should I fix it myself or leave it to the mechanic. I'm curious to know what it is more than anything, and don't fancy picking up a speeding ticket and having my new license revoked because the speedo has a mind of it's own. Any help would be much appreciated, as I'm going to be spending quite a lot of time modifying in the near future and want all the basic things sorted in the meantime.

Thanks in advance,

Connor :D