ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

27" iMac...

Bus w**ker
WOAH WOAH WOAH!

Can someone explain to me about the dust thing when fitting a HDD? I was thinking I'd be able to do it myself...now not so much. Also, SDD needed or pointless? Ok answers GO!

SSD is the best thing you can do to upgrade your computer. Period.

The dust issue is, I'm worried that when I replace the display and the glass on top of that, I'll get loads of crap trapped between it. Even if I try to prevent it, or remove a lot with compressed air etc.

Upgrading a MBP is a piece of piss, but the iMac looks a bit more daunting, and for the sake of around £60 - I think it's a safer bet.

The seek times are average like 0.1ms, whereas a HDD would be 17-18ms ish.

Fast write speeds and read speeds.

I just ordered the OCZ Vertex 3 SATA-III 120GB. 500MB/s read and write speeds!! Fecking fast!

They're also completely silent too which to some people is a plus.

Most people use them as a 'programs' drive. So you have your OS and programs on the SSD, with a HDD as storage. Perfect combination.

TBH, I don't think they're much faster at all.

That vid you posted of your MBP compared to my iMac is negligible. Yeah, yours is faster but it's not by much.

Monaro VXR
TBH, I don't think they're much faster at all.

That vid you posted of your MBP compared to my iMac is negligible. Yeah, yours is faster but it's not by much.

SSD in everyday use is massively faster. Not tried one on a Mac yet though. On my windows machine boot times went from a minute or so down to 15 seconds that's turning it on to being on the desktop and programs open in 15 seconds.

It is seriously quick now. Copying files across 300mb/s vs 80mb/s is a big difference.

I've read a few places that SSD's aren't the most reliable of hardware at this point in their development cycle. Given the high cost it just adds another thing against adopting right now.

SchwepTek™
Soooooo photos make it look tiny lol....

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Utter p**n as said, I need to control the urge to buy mine now and wait a month or two. My credit card won't like me if I buy one now.

Bus w**ker
The dust issue is, I'm worried that when I replace the display and the glass on top of that, I'll get loads of crap trapped between it. Even if I try to prevent it, or remove a lot with compressed air etc.
So you have to go in to the unit from the front to upgrade the HDD/fit SSD or am I getting this round my head? If so what about RAM is that the same retarded method?

I was considering the SSD purely for an OS drive (as I'm impatient) with a 1/2Tb HDD for storage and then the same again as backup.

Schweppy that looks f**king awesome.

SchwepTek™
There's a little slot in the bottom with 3 screws for the RAM!

4 slots too so just upgraded to 8GB for about £20!

Fiesta ST3
There's a little slot in the bottom with 3 screws for the RAM!

4 slots too so just upgraded to 8GB for about £20!
so what spare slots would there be on the base 21" imac spec'd with 2x2gb option? all this talk and pics is drawing me ever closer to my first mac
not wanting to hijack the thread but here is a good as place of any to ask seeing as there is a lot of mac knowledge here at the moment