ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

About 1/2 Grand

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Guys and Girls,

When I get the new 172 I will have about £500 to spare on some decent speakers and an amp. What speakers/amps do you people suggest.

Something I have in mind are.

1) Replace all the standard front and rear speakers.
2) replace the front speakers then run the rear speaker connects into a speaker level input in an amp then drop a couple of 6x9s in a rear shelf and maybe a small sub in a box.
3) Run the rear speaker outputs into an amp again with speaker level inputs and then drop a Big sub in a box.

Ideas welcome.

CB

Couple of things.

1.Dont run 6x9s and a sub. No point and the balence of bass/treble will go to pot.
2.How much bass do you want?
3. What do you want to change first?
4. Your asking for a lot for £500. It can be done but if you want quality you may want to do the upgrade in phases.

Dave

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Replace all speakers in the car with speakers of the same size. Buy an amp and sub box, connecting the amp into the speaker out of the stereo. Thatll be top, giving you the chance to upgrade your head unit at a later date and get more power to all the speakers.

Your on a tight budget but can get a fair bit done if you are clever.

Get a reasonable Tri-system amp. These are one amp, normally containing 4 smallish amps where you can use 2 channels to run 2 6*9s and bridge 2 channels to run a sub. Pro plus or Jensen (or is it spelt Jenson) do good amps like these for £150 - £200 which should be a fair bit cheaper than 2 amps which then need split signals ...

There are 1000s of 6*9s to choose from so a pair around £100 is a safe bet. Try JBLs, Pioneers, Alpines etc ...

You can then get a good 10 or 12 boxed for around £110. Try Pioneers or the Kenwood whrillwind (the funky blue one).

This still leaves you around £100 for fronts, wood for the self, carpet etc ...

Try www.bass-junkies.com for good prices.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Thanks guys,

Say if I was to spend a bit more (A not tell the misses until after I am married) say a grand, what then ?

£1000 on an in-car wireless? How much time do you spend in your car?! Id put the cash in to a savings account, after youre married, youll need it!

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah so all the more reason to spend it before you get married!

Id say best bet for a grand would be ditch the standard head unit and get a decent one with 1 or 2 preouts. Then stick a quality 4 channel amp in the boot and run 2 channels bridged for a 10" or 12" sealed sub-box, the other 2 channels powering a pair of quality (ie £150+ front speakers, 5"s or 6"s)

Ive got a similar system to this except I also run a pair of 8s in the rear shelf.

u can get a magnet amp 4x150watt for about £130 get any decent speakers ya fancy and ya laughing. its right that theres no point running a sub with 6x9s unless u set the 6x9s on high pass only treble and midrange and let the sub do the bass still. ive done this as 6x9s are still a lot louder than normal speakers.

If your getting married get a nitrous kit, a turbo, body kit, paint job and spend spend spend!!! Its your last chance!!

Most front speakers will only take a new head units power (around 50 mpo a channel) although if they were amped externally the quality would be higher due the amp not working hard where as the head unit would be giving some.

Still if you have to choose Id save the amp channels for the rear shelf speakers. If you angle the 6x9s into the car and box them you should get all the treble and midrange you need to back up the sub. Also if the 6x9s are boxed they should give a much punchier bass sound compared to free air shelf mounting so you can put in a ported 12 to give low bass notes and acheive a low bassy boomy but unmuffled sound as the higher bass notes are still there.

On the up though you can let us all know if it really is easier to pull with the old gold band on the left ring finger!

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

OutKa5t,

My mail address is iendicott@yahoo.com

Well as I am paying for the morgage on the house, Ive bought the misses a car the one I am going down the southend cruise with (Metro as she is still learning to drive), also buying the clio I think she cant complain and she is pretty good in terms of backing me with what I want to do with my money. I am after anoth Kawaskai ZX6R after selling one last year and she has no problem with that so I think maybe 1K on a system will be ok...

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

djmcfish,

If you have ever had the pleasure of visiting Rochester in Kent there is a little night club called Arron Stones, JamesG will know of it. On certain nights (Thursdays) you get alot of divorced women down there and they loved married men....

But thats not for me...

Conversely, Ive been able to fend off terrifyingly ugly girls in night clubs by showing them my wedding ring finger... "align=absmiddle>