ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS Sensitivity

Lots of Alfas
How sensitive is the ABS in your 172/182s?? Im sure mine isnt right. It will come on way before the wheel starts to lock. It only comes on when I brake hard but I feel it doesn't need to.

Black Gold 182 W/CupPacks
Is this in the dry or wet?
I have only had my abs kick in a few times in two years, mostly in snow so I don't really count them and once in the wet when slamming them on at about 65-70mph due to some bell end swapping lanes without looking.
I have done some heavy braking from fairly high speeds in the dry and its never kicked in.

ValverInBits
mine is only annoying when it kicks in if i brake with a lot of steering lock on (normally turning around at a deserted T-junction or something because im lost!)

Lots of Alfas
Tyres aint an issue, they are nearly new PE2's. It happens in the wet and dry, are faults with it logged so they can be read by a fault code reader??

Qashcow
mines doing the same too, and its on toyo proxes so not the tyres. mine kicks in pretty much every time i brake slightly hard. its not right thats for sure. jay thinks the brakes need bleeding etc, we shall see after its done

its not the fuse either, took that out and nearly killed myself instead lol

Last edited:
  Lots of Alfas
Ive bled my brakes, fitted braided lines, new discs and pads and still the problem is there. Ive tried cleaning the sensors and none of the abs rings are damaged. I think its a faulty sensor but now youve said it only happens at low speeds.

Vw caddy tdi
172 abs is hyper sensitive imo especially on slight lock on uneven road or on a broken/badly surfaced road. Brand new tyres will make stopping distance greater in dry conditions unlike part worn legal tyres in the dry which decrese the stoping distance. The opposite result is found in the wet! I think these points above directly relate to the abs functioning effectivley.

PH1 172 Sport
Ive bled my brakes, fitted braided lines, new discs and pads and still the problem is there. Ive tried cleaning the sensors and none of the abs rings are damaged. I think its a faulty sensor but now youve said it only happens at low speeds.

Ive noticed mine doing it more since I fitted uprated pads and braided lines. Have you got factory pads fitted? As you said though it only happens at low speeds.

Qashcow
172 abs is hyper sensitive imo especially on slight lock on uneven road or on a broken/badly surfaced road. Brand new tyres will make stopping distance greater in dry conditions unlike part worn legal tyres in the dry which decrese the stoping distance. The opposite result is found in the wet! I think these points above directly relate to the abs functioning effectivley.

i assume your commenting on davebem's posts? either way, mines definatly fucked. has been driving on track by a Cup race driver (hi tony :rasp:) who did a few laps of oulton, including some grass tracking and got out the car and ran away because it was so awful. ive just got used to it but its time to fix it now, i suspect the front abs rings will be damaged when i check

Mine has never allowed any kind of threshold braking. It will always panic long before any squeel can be heard. Probably setup on the side of caution for the wet. I think it would be a nightmare on track TBH.

Clio 172 Ph1
Ive noticed mine doing it more since I fitted uprated pads and braided lines. Have you got factory pads fitted? As you said though it only happens at low speeds.

I noticed that too on mine since i put braided lines.
I am thinking of turning off ABS.

Monaco Ph2 172
My ABS only kicks in when braking hard in wet/icy conditions. Very rarely in the dry - if at all. I have got braided hoses too.

Clio 172 Ph1
You can't just remove the fuse, because the brakes won't brake good, the rear will lock too early.
I read one here that you can unplug one of the ABS sensors and everything will work ok, just with no abs assistant.
Or this is not true?

Qashcow
surely the fuse will just cut the electronic sensors, not the actual pedal-servo-fluid-pad route?

SQ5
mine is only annoying when it kicks in if i brake with a lot of steering lock on (normally turning around at a deserted T-junction or something because im lost!)

Mine does this too, very annoying, I can brake f**king hard too with out it coming on!

Controlled braking FTW!