ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Abs/Serv/Traction control lights

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,
I have read a few threads on here already but no one else seems to have the exact same problem.

I have intermitted Abs/serv/Traction lights coming on. There doesn't seem to be any reasoning for why or when it comes on and it doesn't come on all the time, and always goes away if I turn the car on and off again.
In addition to that, I have a slight grindy-rumbly noise coming from the rear when cruising at around 30. Sounds kind of like a wheel bearing starting to go.

I changed the rear discs and pads about 8 months ago and have had no problems until now. The discs are mtech grooved ones and they came with bearings pressed in, I fitted the 44 tooth ABS rings myself, and the pads are ebc redstuff. I got a garage to torque up the hub nuts properly, 175nm if I remember correctly?

I have jacked the car up with wheels on to see if anything is binding or wobbly and it all seems okay. Im going to open up everything on my next day off, Is there anything specific I should be looking for? Any way I can test the bearing more thoroughly?

Thanks

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Did you change the brake pedal switch? Mine was doing this and I changed the front abs sensors when I replaced the bearings in my hubs and it continued to do it.

Swapped over the brake pedal switch with a genuine from eurocarparts and it solved the problem.

Did you fit the spacers on the rear discs? They could have worn down the rear and sensors but this would have most likely been quicker.

Change the brake pedal switch first as it's cheap. Then get a torque wrench from Halfords or similar as they're on discount :)

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the reply, I'l go ahead and order a switch.
Yeah I fitted the spacers back on. Any idea for the grinding?
Cheers

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Were the rear discs eBay bought? Were they genuine bearings or brembo bearings?
I bought them from gumtree (new and unused) with the pads.
These look like the ones - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIO-SPO...036315?hash=item3353f71edb:g:V3IAAOxyOM5RbL9o

I don't know about the origin of the bearings as they came already pressed in.

If the hub was over tightened could this knacker the bearing faster? Or would a damaged abs ring rub on something making the noise?

Thanks

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I bought them from gumtree (new and unused) with the pads.
These look like the ones - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIO-SPO...036315?hash=item3353f71edb:g:V3IAAOxyOM5RbL9o

I don't know about the origin of the bearings as they came already pressed in.

If the hub was over tightened could this knacker the bearing faster? Or would a damaged abs ring rub on something making the noise?

Thanks
It could, but the bearings might not be of a good quality so may now be knackered. Jack the car up and rotate the wheel to have a listen or feel for ant grinding. Grab top and bottom of wheel and rock to see if any excess movement.

I can't say I've seen many people running those discs tbh. How bads the noise? Can you record it?

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
It could, but the bearings might not be of a good quality so may now be knackered. Jack the car up and rotate the wheel to have a listen or feel for ant grinding. Grab top and bottom of wheel and rock to see if any excess movement.

I can't say I've seen many people running those discs tbh. How bads the noise? Can you record it?

Yeah I'll do all of that tomorrow, I'll take the pads out so I can have a proper listen. I'm assuming replacing the bearings is just a case of sourcing one and taking the discs to a garage and asking them nicely to press the new one in?

I've had knackered bearings on other cars and it's not as loud as that, its like a grindy drone. I'll record a video on my way home from work this morning.

I wouldn't normally get off brand brake stuff, but I got the discs and the red stuff pads brand new for £60 so I took a punt!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
To be honest, I'd probably just opt for getting new discs altogether with brembo or renault (SKF I believe) bearings. You could get some pressed in though, just go for genuine bearings!

It's obviously hard to diagnose without hearing what the noise is, as there are just so many. Is it definitely rotational?

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest, I'd probably just opt for getting new discs altogether with brembo or renault (SKF I believe) bearings. You could get some pressed in though, just go for genuine bearings!

It's obviously hard to diagnose without hearing what the noise is, as there are just so many. Is it definitely rotational?

I'll price everything up, may be worth just getting discs depending on price to save faffing.
I'll get you a video. Definitely rotational, loudest between 30 and 40 mph, happens with clutch in or out, coming from the rear left.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member

So I took everything off today, rings pads and discs all look okay. No noises when spinning wheel and no play. Sensor was pretty dirty so I gave that a clean.

I took the discs off and noticed the bearing has some axial play in it, no noticable movement laterally. Is this normal?

dan's cast offs.
Only looked at it on my phone so hard to see nut you should only have absolute minimal movement on the inner race when it's not on the stub axle.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
It might just be the " cheap " discs / bearings you've fitted . They're not a make that people usually go for . Did you fit the spacer behind the disc ? If you didn't this could be cause of the problem with the bearing. @George@RTR_Parts
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/r...r-discs-on-clio-172-182.712287/#post-11575902

Yeah the spacer is fitted. They've been on for 7/8 months so I guess cheap bearings could just go in this time?

Does the wiggle in the bearing look like its fucked? Just don't want to throw parts at the problem unless im sure.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Yeah the spacer is fitted. They've been on for 7/8 months so I guess cheap bearings could just go in this time?

Does the wiggle in the bearing look like its fucked? Just don't want to throw parts at the problem unless im sure.
There does seem to be a bit of play in the bearing . I'm not sure if thats normal or the cause of your grinding problem . I fitted original discs/ bearings a couple of years ago and don't recall the bearing having play like that. @bloke or somebody else might come along and might be able to give you a more definitive answer.