ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on detailing

Iceberg 172
Hi all, I have a week off work this week with nothing really planned so I have decided to detail my car, now thing is I haven't really detailed my car before so looking for advice on what products I can use and the methods of using them, today I have washed and clayed it so tomorrow I will start detailing. Thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you are going to detail it, have you done the engine bay? Degreased all the door shuts? Removed the wheels and done all the arches? What about the interior, are you going to wet or dry shampoo the carpets and seats?

Or are you just looking to wash and polish your car?

Iceberg 172
If you are going to detail it, have you done the engine bay? Degreased all the door shuts? Removed the wheels and done all the arches? What about the interior, are you going to wet or dry shampoo the carpets and seats?

Or are you just looking to wash and polish your car?

I'm gonna do the works hence why I'm after advice, wanna start on correcting the paint work first

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Hang on, if you haven't detailed a car before, do you own any detailing products??

Iceberg 172
Yeh I own cleaning products but I want advice on what's best to use as I want to go buy new cleaning products

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
And I only wanna correct the body work first

You'll need a DA, pads, polish then really you're going to want to protect or it'll all have been worthless by the next weekend.

I priced a sensible box of bits up for a colleague a couple of weeks ago.

Managed £350 without being silly.

Iceberg 172
You'll need a DA, pads, polish then really you're going to want to protect or it'll all have been worthless by the next weekend.

I priced a sensible box of bits up for a colleague a couple of weeks ago.

Managed £350 without being silly.

Thanks for your help was thinking about the 200 mark, what order do I go In when correcting the paint work?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Read the stickies in this section (now it's been moved!).

Go from there.

A DA is about £100 alone. Few pads and polishes will be at least £50. Other bits you'll need will eat the last £50 up .. then you'll want some more stuff.

Find someone local to borrow for a day and give them £100 to sort you out instead perhaps.

Iceberg 172
You need to do what Dan said first, needs to be properly cleaned and prepared BEFORE any polishing can commence!

Chris
DetailMe

Yes am I very aware thank you I just want advice on products and how to go about the body correction e.g order to go in

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Yes am I very aware thank you I just want advice on products and how to go about the body correction e.g order to go in

Well sorrreeyyy! Was trying to help, as I might know a little about these things! You really need to get over to detailing world forum and start swotting up, then buy the gear and start practicing. No offence to CS but you can't learn machine polishing skills from a cliosport forum!

Chris
DetailMe

Honda & VW
Pretty much all you need to know is either already been asked and answered on her so have a search, alternatively why not Google 'in what order should I detail a car'. Chances are it will find you topics from detailing world.

another smart idea is look on White details website, Jim does excellent write ups listing products used and you will also start to see what order you do/use things.

Talking of which, where is Jim these days.....?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Jim is my favourite detailer, EVER.

The most in depth write ups and results. Absolutely brilliant.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The prodigal son returns. All that over a hoody? You must have been a bad boy in another life!

Wants some Glasur? Swap you for amigo

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Was in general chat somewhere, posted to an old address IIRC. But said that joking, I'd hope it wasn't about that

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It was. No need to dwell! ;) I'll fire you a PM in the morning. Sorry for the delay dude.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Car detailing items are costly. To get everything you have listed will be $50.00 simple and maybe more.My favorite tire product is Mothers Tire Shine. Use Armorall on your black plastic. Meguiar's creates some excellent items for cleaning and wax. You can get everything you need at Wal-mart.

FLOL.

Wal-mart ? I don't think so...

Even if everything listed above was $50 and supermarkets did stock such items, the plane ticket to the USA would negate the savings about ten-fold !