ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on installing new cams

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
so as the title suggests, I've got a n/a clio 172 ph1 engine 37k on the clock with no mods at current but I'm wanting to replace the cams while its still sat in the garage before I drop it in the car, so if you could help with these few points please I'd be very grateful (unless there's a guide??) -

1. special tools required other than normal garage tools and timing tools as I have those,

2. what parts / seals / gaskets are going to be needed and best place to get them? (obviously need to source some cams (438's) and cambelt but other than that?)

3. can the 438's be timed up using standard timing?

4. I was thinking of putting some ARP bolt in the crank, do you think these are really needed / advised and anything else you think I should be replacing before putting the engine back in the car. (I'm replacing the cambelt with associated pulleys, and water pump, engines only done 37k so not looking to replace the dephaser at this point).

5. Any guides with torque settings, procedures, etc. would be greatly received

Thanks alot, Dan.

1. No
2. Inlet gasket, the cam cover is siliconed
3. Yes
4. Highly recommend as they don't like high rpm, ARP's help this.
5. If brand new, start up and run @2000rpm for 10 minutes. Cam cover bolts aren't tight atall, 10-15lb-ft iirc.

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
1. No
2. Inlet gasket, the cam cover is siliconed
3. Yes
4. Highly recommend as they don't like high rpm, ARP's help this.
5. If brand new, start up and run @2000rpm for 10 minutes. Cam cover bolts aren't tight atall, 10-15lb-ft iirc.

Thanks Dan, that was easier than I thought lol, what about cam seals and what silicone are we using?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A decent black RTV sealant, cam seals you will be able to re-use no drama as you are taking the lid off, but if you want new just make sure you order the cambelt kit from Adam as then he always throws them in IME which other dealers dont.

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
Thanks Chip, sorry who's Adam? :eek:

who's the best person to get the cams from please?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well if you want 438 I think the only places that actually sell them are 519 and Ktec?

Adam works at a main trade parts hub for renault in wolverhampton: 01902439264

Just tell him that fred/chip/CS sent you, and he will sort you out!

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
Well that's me 438's ordered, cambelt kit and silicone just the work to do, drop it in the car and get it mapped :D

not much.