ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

air intake hose question

clio sport 182
the induction hose after the filter box has another tube coming from it to the back of the engine going into the cylinder head,what is this for and when you place you thumb over the end of it should it be sucking or blowing when the engine is on?

clio sport 182
i ask as my car is burning oil from somewhere when i hit the throttle hard,iv had my valve stem seals replaced and a engine rebuild not long ago and it has not cured it,i can not for the life of me think what else it could be,i can only assume that its suking up there under acceleration

RS RIP
mine does the same.. and yes, it does throw out the occasional hard thrashing-drivestyle oil through the breather setup. i disconnected mine because i went for an aftermarket elbow without the tube-entrance and just put a little breather-filter on the end. SInce then i always get the oilsmell when thrashing the *** off of her. Mine uses a little ; have to check + fill up a tad bit every month

RS RIP
** just read you have uprated cams in there? Mine only started using oil since the Italian metal came in and someone on here was saying it had to do with some kind of overlap, something to do with valve pressure . mine does it too and i'm not too worried (anymore)

Think a lot of aftermarket cam drivers have the same prob ?

Last edited:
  clio sport 182
when you say that you have to top it up abit every month is it like mine about half a litre every 800-900 miles

RS RIP
a little less. it seems to vary ? Once i had'nt looked for a gas-tank or two and i had to put 3 quarters of a liter in !

I trie to check every time i fuel up you see

Black Gold Trophy
It is a crankcase breather pipe, it should blow air towards the throttle body, it is a combination of air being displaced by the oil pump aswell as blowby gases from the cylinders. It will occasionally chuck out a bit of oil vapour, especially under hard cornering or acceleration!

RS RIP
^^ yep. Only it does'nt blow; the TB elbow sucks up the oil-residue.

Environmental issues/laws have made them to design it this way, no more oil venting in to atmosphere but these little bits of oil are now used up through the throttle body