ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag deployed..what required to fix?

Clio 172 Cup
Hey guys

My mates 182 airbag (drivers side, seat) deployed..after he hit a kerb a week or so back. New wheel, hub and wishbone.

So we're now trying to get the airbag error codes / lights off..but also ensure the remaining non deployed airbags are operational.

I have an RS Tuner from Fastchip which i think might delete the error codes and be able to disable the deployed airbag (which he doesnt intend on replacing).

What else is required? Will the Rs tuner airbag module do all required..or are airbag ecu's / pretensioners etc required?

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers

dan's cast offs.
you need to swap the ecu or clear crash data from yours. afik can't be done with rs tuner.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hey guys

My mates 182 airbag (drivers side, seat) deployed..after he hit a kerb a week or so back. New wheel, hub and wishbone.

So we're now trying to get the airbag error codes / lights off..but also ensure the remaining non deployed airbags are operational.

I have an RS Tuner from Fastchip which i think might delete the error codes and be able to disable the deployed airbag (which he doesnt intend on replacing).

What else is required? Will the Rs tuner airbag module do all required..or are airbag ecu's / pretensioners etc required?

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers
Given that seats are available for peanuts, why not replace the seat too? Madness

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks bloke. Guess I'll be on the hunt for an ecu.

Thanks Rob..very helpful comment. Having been searching local ads (north scotland) for past week..i can confirm there are no seats for sale in exhange for peanuts..so we're not.mad.

Clio 182
The airbag Ecu is under the centre console.
There's plenty of places that clear the data for around £20.
You'll need to replace any fired airbags. Check the front and rear pretensioners as they may well have fired too.

Clio 172 Cup
Cheers buddy. I'll have a look about those places you mention that clear the crash data now. How can you tell whether the pretensioner has fired? I guess the drivers sest will likely have..surprised to hear the rears might have? Cheers

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I've got a pair of front sport seats that you could have pretty cheap but I'm down near Edinburgh, dunno if that's any good to you.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Cheers buddy. I'll have a look about those places you mention that clear the crash data now. How can you tell whether the pretensioner has fired? I guess the drivers sest will likely have..surprised to hear the rears might have? Cheers

I have the sensors under the seatbelts from my car if you need them, I dont run them anymore as have harnesses

Clio 172 Cup
Cheers for offer John ..will bear in mind. Slim chance i might have been down that way.

Ryg...that could be really helpful thanks! Is that what they call the pretensioners?
Do you have all 4..or 2? And how much were you after for these..posted?
I ought to check first if they have fired..will this be obvious from just looking at them?? Cheers

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks bloke. Guess I'll be on the hunt for an ecu.

Thanks Rob..very helpful comment. Having been searching local ads (north scotland) for past week..i can confirm there are no seats for sale in exhange for peanuts..so we're not.mad.
My comment was sarcastic at all, if you ask on here you'll find some for next to nothing, proven by djw's post. Just ask about!

Clio 172 Cup
No prob. Just felt the madness comment wasnt best wording. Yeh trouble is there aint many 182s or parts up in aberdeenshire...even edinburgh is 3.5 hrs drive :/ and i wouldn't expect anyone to post.

Struggling to find any places that reset the airbag ecu on ebay? Plenty for other makes but none i can see for mk2 clio .

Cheers

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'd have to agree with Rob. Sewing up seats after an airbag has gone off not only looks f**king s**t, but is stupid. So many breakers of these cars, there will be a seat near you its guaranteed.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
No prob. Just felt the madness comment wasnt best wording. Yeh trouble is there aint many 182s or parts up in aberdeenshire...even edinburgh is 3.5 hrs drive :/ and i wouldn't expect anyone to post.

Struggling to find any places that reset the airbag ecu on ebay? Plenty for other makes but none i can see for mk2 clio .

Cheers
Just get a new ECU.

Clio 172 Cup
Louis..does a 2nd hand airbag ecu need coded to my car?? Or a simple straight swap? Thanks

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I believe if you get one with the same number as on your old one, it's a straight swap but don't hold me to that.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Louis..does a 2nd hand airbag ecu need coded to my car?? Or a simple straight swap? Thanks
Believe it's just matching numbers needed.

Take off your dash top and remove your existing one, post a wanted ad on here. Someone can easily pallet up and post a seat and ecu for you, paisley freight are great for that kind of thing.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Pretty sure the airbag computer is located under the ashtray section.
4433169492_fdf68f3aa6_b.jpg

172 cup
@jmt33

Email this guy Steve Berry steveberry168@gmail.com, he's normally on eBay but i had to look in some old emails to get the address!
I sent him my ECU and had it back with in 2 working days all for £20!

I wouldn't bother getting another ecu Evan if it's the same numbers / code part it will still need re programming ( so i was told when i was looking into getting mine done)

Ones i replaced the inpact sensors and put ecu BK in the Serv and airbag light went off

Last edited:
  Ex 182 owner
sorry op thread hyjack. hope you get your own issues sorted.

on a side note..
does anyone know if the rs tuner with airbag module will work on any clio 172/182. I apprciate the map tunning element of the tuner is locked to the currently registered car. does that stand true for the airbag modules?
cheers
chris