ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All my seats out. OMFG!

L

leeboy182

I've not even been in this thread an I wanna punch drunkenmonkey in the face maybe a lil harsh but I think fair , kill the negativity man no need for it!!

R56 JCW
Yeh supposedly!

Sorry to the OP, this started out as an interesting thread, but as usual, there's always one person who knows everything!

who knows everything? Umm ive only commented on how it doesnt really make a difference, shadowbatty, think you need to die and shhh, quit while ur ahead

R56 JCW
I've not even been in this thread an I wanna punch drunkenmonkey in the face maybe a lil harsh but I think fair , kill the negativity man no need for it!!

lol be more than welcome to let you try, Mr Keyboard Warrior, what as been said which is negative, lol all ive said is that it doesnt make much difference

1992 Mini City
who knows everything? Umm ive only commented on how it doesnt really make a difference, shadowbatty, think you need to die and shhh, quit while ur ahead

As opposed to die, then run around sceaming about petrol prices and middle eastern conflict...

L

leeboy182

keyboard warrior funny boy ! Lol not sure what your problem is fella maybe you need to get some fresh air maybe go out meet people an make friends ?? Appears nobody likes you

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
can somebody please post some figures up of the weight of the rear bench,belts etc

somebody must know.

not that iv got any anymore lol.

I might do mine, as Ive seen it asked quite a lot. And I'll weigh all the sound proofing etc too.
I know it sounds a bit geeky, but Im sure it'll be useful to some people :)

Its all related to the perception and expectation which you have before and after the modifications.

They probably do make a difference to the performance but its unlikely that you would ever really detect it in the real world, but because it sounds different, or feels different people think its naturally faster - because you would 'expect' it to be.

In reality you would need to make quite a few of these types of changes to make a real world difference to the performance which what no doubt a Cup Racer have. The biggest variable in a cars performance is more the driver.

I think you're taking the right approach though if you keep going, start with the seats and strip it of all excess weight. There is a great quote by Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus) - "Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
when i removed mine i removed all the sound deadning too!

def makes it sound alot louder and faster.

Well the best real world example Ive seen where a stripped car is quicker is when me and Burp had a little play once. His car is sub 900kgs, and mine is almost standard weight. He has 3bhp more (confirmed on RR), but because of his lighter car, he was able to pull away from me by quite a surprising margin.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
theres a fair bit of weight in the speakers too!

another trick i found was fuel! i think its a 60lt tank?
how much does fuel weigh 2kgs a litre?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Trying to keep things on track here and resisting the urge to call drunknmunky a bit of a c**k...

In my opinion you would notice a real world performance gain from what the OP removed without question.

It's a 182 with a split rear seat (much heavier than a Cup 1 piece block of foam), can't comment on the weight of a Recaro, my standard Cup seat including runners and with no airbag was 27 kgs so I think you've probably taken around 50 kgs out all in.

On a standard 182 that's enough to take the power to weight ratio up from 167 bhp/ton to 175 bhp/ton...very much noticeable when accelerating.

To put that another way removing 50 kgs is like taking a standard weight 182 up to 191 bhp. That's not noticeable?

182 Trophy
I like the fact drunkmonkey says it makes NO difference, even taking 1kg out makes SOME difference you penis, and removing seats certainley does, when i had my rallye it was fully strpped and i'd never go back to full interior. Alot of the lads with the 106's go a lot further, i got my s1 down to 815kg's, that still had full interior but had a fibreglass bonnet.
Weight is a killer

b/g 182, meg tourer
it does make a difference not a lot... but every little does help. on a daily road car there really is no point tho. or maybe im just getting old. lol.
the 182 was stripped bare (carpets and headlining included) 2 years ago, got fed up of it tho. remove the carpet if you want a weight saving. weighs more than the seats put together!

To put that another way removing 50 kgs is like taking a standard weight 182 up to 191 bhp. That's not noticeable?

And then think you much you would have to spend to get that extra power from the engine?!
Matched inlets, remap etc. The cost all adds up!
And weight removal is all FREE! :cool:

b/g 182, meg tourer
Oh yeah....and it looks good :p
until you get you weekly shopping and it slides about everywhere. lol.
i loved the way my car sounded and handled etc, stripped bare but unfortunatly situations change and more comfort and practicality is needed. i would recommend stripping weight to everyone that can tho as its a free way to improve your car's responsiveness.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
And then think you much you would have to spend to get that extra power from the engine?!
Matched inlets, remap etc. The cost all adds up!
And weight removal is all FREE! :cool:

as long as you dont break anything when removing it :(

or mybe thats just me:)

I always felt it made a difference when I had everything from the rear out, whether that was real of it just felt quicker...it doesn't matter, feeling like you're going quicker than you are isn't a bad thing.

I also felt my Cup acted quite a bit differently on low fuel, quite skittish compared to it loaded up. I think a full tank weighs something in the region of 30kg, so if 30kg is noticeable, I imagine completely stripping heavy components from the car would be.

SG9 Forester STi
i loved the way my car sounded and handled etc, stripped bare but unfortunatly situations change and more comfort and practicality is needed. i would recommend stripping weight to everyone that can tho as its a free way to improve your car's responsiveness.

LOL!

I must admit now I've taken mine out I would'nt put them back in, although things rattle and squeak more (strutbrace mostly) it looks awesome and sounds good...mind you the rain under the arches annoys me sometimes :rasp:

b/g 182, meg tourer
Really?! You mean the carpet under the seats? Why is it that heavy?!

yep, the 2 peice carpet from the front footwells to under the front seat, and from under the front seat to just inside the rear bench. its so heavy! its very noisy when removed tho and you get puddles in the footwells from water off your shoes. lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
remove the carpet if you want a weight saving. weighs more than the seats put together!

It's not quite that heavy...when I took my front carpet out with all the underlay etc. it weighed 12 kgs - still almost half as much as a seat.

Most surprising thing for me was the headlining...6 kgs in that wispy piece of foam!

That's why Im REALLY tempted.
I dont use the car for daily commute
I dont mind the extra noise etc.
I dont have kids/wife that I need to think of too
I have no plans of getting rid of the car anytime soon (if ever! ;))
You only live once!!

b/g 182, meg tourer
It's not quite that heavy...when I took my front carpet out with all the underlay etc. it weighed 12 kgs - still almost half as much as a seat.

Most surprising thing for me was the headlining...6 kgs in that wispy piece of foam!

very supprisingly heavy for carpet tho imo. was shocking when i removed it.

b/g 182, meg tourer
That's why Im REALLY tempted.
I dont use the car for daily commute
I dont mind the extra noise etc.
I dont have kids/wife that I need to think of too
I have no plans of getting rid of the car anytime soon (if ever! ;))
You only live once!!

what are you waiting for...

Fine! I'll do it this afternoon!! :)

Are there any bits that I have to take care of not ripping/damaging the carpets or linings?

I will be keeping all the bits I take out just incase I ever want to put it all back in again :)

Also, any advice for the tar? Ive got a heatgun and a chisel - will that do?!

I stripped 200+ kgs from my old mk1 clio. Was only a standard engine pretty much and that tranformed the car! Put it this way, my friend had a Williams with an exhaust and filter and with my interior in it would eat me alive! With the interior out, I was pulling past him.... Thats not a difference though from some of the people in here...:clown:

SG9 Forester STi
Fine! I'll do it this afternoon!! :)

Are there any bits that I have to take care of not ripping/damaging the carpets or linings?

I will be keeping all the bits I take out just incase I ever want to put it all back in again :)

Also, any advice for the tar? Ive got a heatgun and a chisel - will that do?!

I left the tar in, just for ease lol.