ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator cable snapped.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
My soul's died, this car's killed it.

The connector doesn't fit so i'm going to have to modify it, I don't have a nut that fits the 8mm bolt, at least I think it's 8mm,
and the thread's mangled so it'll probably cross thread as soon as I try doing the nut up.

Also my battery charger no longer works, so I can't even get to Freds as a last resort,
tbh i'm sick of cars atm so i'm just leaving it until i'm in a better mood.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Any updates Dave? It's all I've thought about today.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Right, an old friend of my Dads came round today to sort out this connector, (he builds his own bikes)
the only one I could find that can handle the load was one that needed soldering on.

Jumped started the car and the multimeter was showing 9 volts,
so it's safe to say I need a new alternator, unless the solder isn't making a good connection,
but f*ck knows i'm not a mechanic or an electrician.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
It'll drive but it's only got 9 volts in the battery and my charger's stopped working,
so I don't know if it'll cut out while i'm on the M6.

Plus I don't have a spare alternator, or the money for one,
the irony is that the photography jobs i've got lined up for the end of Jan
will easily pay for a new car, so by the time i've got enough money to fix it,
I won't need to.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I've not driven it since it stopped turning over,
i've never had it cut out on me in a major way, but the stereo has been cutting out randomly or months.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Have you tried a new battery? Or borrowing someone's battery? Get a member to drive over and borrow his battery for 25 minutes, see what happens. You could even put your battery in their car, bump start it and see if they can charge yours for you?

You could be making this more complicated than it is, not deliberately, but you just need to try a few things. You know a few people around you don't you?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
What are you looking for? Just see if it runs!!!!

Really you want as close to 14.4v when running, and yes it should be a std 12V battery.

Where are you taking your running reading from though?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Right, get your ma's battery, test it's coming up as 12v. Get it on the car, switch the bugger on, radio and lights etc off, then take another reading off the battery. Then go out for a quick spin and try again. If it doesn't get anywhere near about 13.4 or so,I'd say the alternators gone but I'm no pro.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I appreciate the offer mate, but the connectors on, the battery's not charging,
I don't have a spare alternator, so I don't want to waste your time over something so trivial.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Ok i'll give that a go when i've got another car to jump it off.

One thing that's different is the battery light no longer comes on with the ignition,
don't know what that means, just thought i'd mention it as it's new.