ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator needs replacing anything else

Clio 172 , Leon FR
Hi all

Alternator gave up yesterday and have a replacement ready to go in. Is it a difficult job? Also will I need anything else the belts only been on 1000 miles will that still want doing? Is there a guide anywhere on doing it?

Thanks

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'd personally have no issues reusing the belt if it's that new. How about the tensioner?

monaco 172
Id probably use it again but for the sake of 20 quid it might be worth chucking a new one on.

Fairly simple job once you've worked out how to detension the belt with a jubilee Clip as getting a tool in there other than the proper serpentine tool is more or less impossible

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Is the alternator the correct one? The Renault dealership that did mine took three attempts to fit the correct one. Even that failed a few years later - lol.

Clio 172 , Leon FR
Id probably use it again but for the sake of 20 quid it might be worth chucking a new one on.

Fairly simple job once you've worked out how to detension the belt with a jubilee Clip as getting a tool in there other than the proper serpentine tool is more or less impossible
Is the alternator the correct one? The Renault dealership that did mine took three attempts to fit the correct one. Even that failed a few years later - lol.

Pulled one out of my other 172 that I knows working so I assume its the correct one lol I was hoping I could just do the same again but this time put the working alternator in and just slip belt back over and away we go rather than put whole new belt on etc or is it not that simple ?

monaco 172
Straight swap then. Should be easy enough. Like I say, hardest part is taking the tension off the belt. I usually use a nice big jubilee clip around the tensioner as I haven't got the fancy tool or made my own.

Itl be difficult swinging the alternator back in place with taking the tension off the belt

Clio 172 , Leon FR
Straight swap then. Should be easy enough. Like I say, hardest part is taking the tension off the belt. I usually use a nice big jubilee clip around the tensioner as I haven't got the fancy tool or made my own.

Itl be difficult swinging the alternator back in place with taking the tension off the belt
Yeah I used a jubilee to take the other one of and wasn't to bad. Only thing I am worried about is resetting the tension on the belt as its not something I have ever done which is why I am not to keen to take the belt off completely . Everything else seems straight forward. I will pick a new belt up tomorrow just incase.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I replaced my belt and alternator about a month ago, but the bearings on the replacement alternator were duff so had to do it again.

This time, rightly or wrongly :)grimacing:), I replaced the alternator without compressing the tensioner spring, I just carefully undid the bolts fixing the alternator and released the tension that way, on refitting I gently levered the new one in place and refitted the bolts.

Clio 172 , Leon FR
All done today. No real complications other than the terminal bolt didn't want to undo but got there in the end. Thanks everyone for their help :)