ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AMAX (APEX?) 40mm springs £30 from ECP

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
I'm running these springs and car handles fine with them. So far so good for the money :smile:

13334533_10154254163143685_1388456444_o_zpsivqhvjsb.jpg

Last edited:
Drive home was hateful...'squeak, squeak, bang'

Felt like a right c**k driving through town

Fairly sure it's the front springs which are giving the vibration and issues, it doesn't matter anyway, they're hateful and they're coming off tonight

Well well, I've got a confession to make...

Changed the rears first back to my Cooksports and decided I'd adjust by Rear ARB to give it a try on the hardest setting

Went to do the fronts and started taking the front wheels off...then I realised although my nuts were tight, my actual studs were loose!! 2 on the one side, and one on the other - when I fitted them I used the correct Loctite (271 off the top of my head) and I torqued them up, but it seems like over time they've come loose!

So re-torqued them all and re-loctited them and thought it's only fair if I try the Amax's on the front with this sorted, so wheels back on and kept the Amax springs on....and low and behold, not a single squeak, or noise for that matter! Went for a 3 mile round trip and they were spot on and only went up to 60mph, but it was night and day from earlier!

I'll admit I put my Cooksports back on the front as I wanted to know the height difference between them, and measuring from the floor to the arch gave roughly 600mm - bang on the same for both the Amax's and Cooksports.
Overtime I'd guess the Amax's would go slightly lower as they bed in, but I thought I'd keep my Cooksports on as it would probably be best to run matching front and rear springs...

So it turns out it was user error all along, and not the springs at fault (well despite the rears knocking, I'm still confident that was a spring issue)

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Interesting...no issues at first? Banging, etc?

Which way did you fit the rear springs...Text the right way up?
Text upside down. removed the old ones and there was a pig tail bit where it wasn't flush on the bottom so fitted the same way.

Only knock is from under the front seats so not suspension related I don't think and was present before fitting these. Bit of trim or exhaust moving/bouncing I think

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Well well, I've got a confession to make...

Changed the rears first back to my Cooksports and decided I'd adjust by Rear ARB to give it a try on the hardest setting

Went to do the fronts and started taking the front wheels off...then I realised although my nuts were tight, my actual studs were loose!! 2 on the one side, and one on the other - when I fitted them I used the correct Loctite (271 off the top of my head) and I torqued them up, but it seems like over time they've come loose!

So re-torqued them all and re-loctited them and thought it's only fair if I try the Amax's on the front with this sorted, so wheels back on and kept the Amax springs on....and low and behold, not a single squeak, or noise for that matter! Went for a 3 mile round trip and they were spot on and only went up to 60mph, but it was night and day from earlier!

I'll admit I put my Cooksports back on the front as I wanted to know the height difference between them, and measuring from the floor to the arch gave roughly 600mm - bang on the same for both the Amax's and Cooksports.
Overtime I'd guess the Amax's would go slightly lower as they bed in, but I thought I'd keep my Cooksports on as it would probably be best to run matching front and rear springs...

So it turns out it was user error all along, and not the springs at fault (well despite the rears knocking, I'm still confident that was a spring issue)

So pretty good then?

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Yeah. Much better than it was. Stiffer than standard 172 cup springs I had on for a bit, settled well enough and feels more planted on cornering with the good rubber on.

Anyone got any re-torque numbers for the nuts and bolts and can you please confirm that I DON'T need spring compressors?

Gonna attempt these Saturday.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Anyone got any re-torque numbers for the nuts and bolts and can you please confirm that I DON'T need spring compressors?

Gonna attempt these Saturday.

Spring compressers arnt needed but its best to have them imo. Not sure on torque tho

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Not until tomorrow, but upon inspection last night the rears have settled a bit but the fronts are still as high as the original Cup springs so the car is nose high currently-a bit worrying.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Hmmmmm I might get some then
Considering all my shocks are brand new

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Right I have now down 250 miles of part motorway,part town including many speed bumps,a lot of motorway, and an Autosolo event .The arch gaps are about the same as a fellow autosoloer,s.172 on Eibach Prolines. I have no complaints so far concerning ride or handling.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
My car on A-max springs

Attachments

• IMG_20160625_094319.jpg
    IMG_20160625_094319.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20160625_081639.jpg
    IMG_20160625_081639.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 158
Right I have now down 250 miles of part motorway,part town including many speed bumps,a lot of motorway, and an Autosolo event .The arch gaps are about the same as a fellow autosoloer,s.172 on Eibach Prolines. I have no complaints so far concerning ride or handling.

What did you have before as a handling comparison?

SQ5
Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious, especially the one about decent reviews on Apex springs for track use!

Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious, especially the one about decent reviews on Apex springs for track use!
Instead of posting smart arse comments and you have some sort of actual experience with these on track then why not just help us out? It was me who posted I'd heard good things about them on track due to there stiffness compared to other springs on the market, if not so good then let the people know, or do you think people waisting hard earned cash "hilarious"?

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
I was comparing the A-Max to the standard Cup springs, and I have Cup shockers. My Clio is an occasional use toy, not my DD.