ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another cambelt thread omg

Monaco Clio 172
Im in the process of getting together all parts and tools to change both my belts this weekend. Ive had a friend acquire me a timing belt kit from work and its a goodyear belt but ive heard gates are the one to go for. Im just waiting for aux kit from him which i dont know the brand if belt it will be. Shall i bin theses and get a different set.
ALSO im sure i had a manual with procedure to chang the belt but cant find it so could someone please link me CHEERS

330i. E30 Touring.
Please tell me you have all three genuine Renault locking tools?

If not, you'll f**k it up no matter what make of belt you use.

Lionel Richie
gates powergrip ONLY
aux kit - genuine ONLY

none of this my mate works for wangli car parts and can get then £0.02 cheaper rubbish

Monaco Clio 172
how much am i looking then for aux kit from renault and shall i get a complete gates cambelt kit of just a belt and use the tensioner and pulley i already got???

ITB'd MK1
goodyear belt kit uses identical idlers/ tensioners to gates. some idiotic scaremongering on here sometimes. Genuine for the aux kit though, it'll be twice the price for a motor factor part

Monaco Clio 172
he just told me its a gates kit but rebranded with his company part numbers and logos. my bad its not a goodyear kit, thats for another car

Lionel Richie
goodyear belt kit uses identical idlers/ tensioners to gates. some idiotic scaremongering on here sometimes. Genuine for the aux kit though, it'll be twice the price for a motor factor part

see if you say that when you have to replace 10 kits because they rattle, but then what do i know

Monaco Clio 172
i totally agree with fred on the parts to use. ive found out the belt kit i have is made by gates and now renault are doing the aux kit for £60+vat so ill phone em tomoz for that. Im just waiting for a member on here to give me a pm back about the locking tools

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sorry for the newbie question but any diff between genuine Renault kit or a Gates kit as i have both :)

Non bar the price you will have paid.

Tensioner and idlers are all OE Spec and the belts are the same bar with the exception of the Renault item will have a "7701" number printed on it where as I don't believe the Gates one will.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why the f**k would you take any risk at all just to save £10 or whatever you saved! It's erm probably the most important part on your car!

Or are you saving for coils so you don't want to pay the £500 to get it done right? Boils my piss that!

Buy the right gear or just don't bother!

Monaco Clio 172
I only wanted to know about the correct brand of belts to use. So as fred said gates cambelt kit and renault aux kit. Will be buyin all renault timing tool too. Theres plenty of people that do it themselves to save on labour cost not just a tenner

LY Megane R26 230
Non bar the price you will have paid.

Tensioner and idlers are all OE Spec and the belts are the same bar with the exception of the Renault item will have a "7701" number printed on it where as I don't believe the Gates one will.

Thanks.paid the same for both kits so i guess it doesnt matter which one i decide to use :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Personally I always use the Renault kits as I get them at a great price but if people ask me to do it cheaper I've used Continental 'Conti-Tech' kits without any issues as my local SKF supplier is on drugs and wants too much. Even the Conti-Tech tensioner sets are all OE (Littens) and the belts are by Dayco so nothing really wrong with them either. Its just what you know and trust and if someone is prepared to use a component and warrant it then you shouldn't be worried IMO.

Mick

ITB'd MK1
Personally I always use the Renault kits as I get them at a great price but if people ask me to do it cheaper I've used Continental 'Conti-Tech' kits without any issues as my local SKF supplier is on drugs and wants too much. Even the Conti-Tech tensioner sets are all OE (Littens) and the belts are by Dayco so nothing really wrong with them either. Its just what you know and trust and if someone is prepared to use a component and warrant it then you shouldn't be worried IMO.

Mick

Same as this for me. I've used Dayco, Goodyear, Gates, FAI, INA, Contitech, and they're all the same in different boxes. There's only about 3 compaines that make belts anyway, and sell it to everyone else.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Wrong. If I've ever needed advice on what to get, who to use then I would ring him. Top guy and allways willing to help

Dan.

f**k no, when I went to see him I was bricking it as he seemed to find something wrong wherever he looked :(

Nah, kidding, the guys a legend (Top Bloke, he'd undoubtedly be called in Footy Chat) - and if I ever got advice from him, I'd think bloody hard before choosing to ignore it!

Monaco Clio 172
Right then i sent my missis to renault today for tools and new cam and crank pulley bolts. Here is what is on the receipt, am i missing anything???