ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another cambelt thread omg

Lionel Richie
easy ;)

IMG-20110223-00034.jpg

will call you later when i'm on my way back to the workshop

Monaco Clio 172
the timing is out. got crank pin in correct place and cant get the horse shoe in at all. got to have a new cam in anyway so ill put it right

Monaco Clio 172
some cowboy has had a go and messed it up. but im enjoying doing it and with the cams off fred properly timed up she shall live again lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
the timing is out. got crank pin in correct place and cant get the horse shoe in at all. got to have a new cam in anyway so ill put it right

STOP!!!

You'll ruin your pulley if you're not careful - Rotate the crank back a few degrees (this is to allow the valves room to open slightly if required without risk of them bending) then insert the camshaft pulley lock tool and imobilise the pulleys. Loosen the bolts securing the pulleys to the camshaft then carry on.

Retime the bottom end once the new cams are in and the camshaft locking tool is correctly in place. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to the position of the camshaft locating bosses for the lock tool as they're not central and it's very easy to fit the cams 180 degrees out!!

Mick

Monaco Clio 172
i havent got the cams yet mate but i know what you on about. the cam locating bosses are offset towards the bottom on the cam.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
LMAO - Either that or he's got for his quarterly haircut... it can take a while

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Spearmint Rhino again aye Fred? You'll go blind (and end up wearing glasses like me)

Monaco Clio 172
ive got my tension bang on now. so is it now just to torque all the bolts up before turning engine over twice???

Monaco Clio 172
well here is all the things gone wrong,
cams were no good (fred sorted me out wid a set)
ripped the stud for the cambelt tensioner out the head
snapped the crank bolt.
but all is good now and she running better than she ever was, timing is bang on and idle is sweet.
just givving her 2 oil changes to make sure nothing in the oil.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im with Aldo, im all for working on my cars however the cost of the tools is what stops me doing my own belt, however congratulations on getting stuck in about it and doing it urself. at least you have the satisfaction of knowing its spot on timed up well and nothing was missed or overlooked as you done it urself!

then again i decided against doing my cambelt myself on my first 172 because of the cost of buying the tools, had i done it though i would have had them sitting waiting for my ph1 this time round! bugger! lol

Monaco Clio 172
The notorious genius Fred thinks that my engine has suffered a serious injury being a snapped belt. No pulley tool being used to repair it causing the chunks out the cams.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its suffered something at the hands of complete moron(s) that tried to use the camshaft locking tool as a camshaft pulley imob tool, hence the damage to them... see this all the time on 1.4/1.6 16v units that use a similar setup. Still, all done now and should be good for another 5 years service.

Monaco Clio 172
just noticed with the engine running there is a very very small wobble on the crank aux pulley.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Just due to the fact you're fitting a notoriously hard Cambelt yourself.

Black Gold Trophy
Well done Coxxy, sounds like you've had a right handful mate, I've done a few of these and luckily never ran into the problems you have!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
just noticed with the engine running there is a very very small wobble on the crank aux pulley.

Its normal for them to do this a little as they never run 100% true due to the assembly design but how much "Wobble" are we talking about; More or less than a few mm?

Mick

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Booked my clio in yesterday to have the cambelt changed by a friend. He told me that a workshop just round the corner, working on a 172, had tried to fit a cambelt 3 times ! They changed the belt, got it wrong , wrecked the valves. Then did the same thing again after taking advice from my mate :) Now they are on the third attempt ! Must have a very tolerant customer !!!