ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ANY SIGNS TO TELL IF YOUR CAR HAS HAD A REMAP ?

CLIO 182
Hi peeps. The clio cup i bought recently, has already got a de-cat and cat back zorst and also an itg panel filter... was wondering if there was anyway if i could tell if it has had a remap/chip. :S i have been thinking of having a remap done,but i am thinking it may have already had 1 done due to the other mods! well hoping really,lol. cheers.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Get an rstuner on it, can see everything its had done.

Shouldn't need a licence either just to check, so just need to find someone near you with one :)

CLIO 182
Thanks alot 4 getn back so quick. and sorry 4 posting in the wrong thread,lol. any other way i can tell? rev limiter or anything. thanx.

monaco 172
If it revs to 7800 when hot it's had an rs tuner map.

Best way to describe it though would be do you get a massive boost in power at 5000 rpm or is it steady all the way?

If you get the massive boost at 5000 then chances are it's running standard map.

CLIO 182
If it revs to 7800 when hot it's had an rs tuner map.

Best way to describe it though would be do you get a massive boost in power at 5000 rpm or is it steady all the way?

If you get the massive boost at 5000 then chances are it's running standard map.

pretty sure it gets a big boost at 5k, will check 2moz,lol. thanks,that helps alot. i know where i am now. remap it is then.

monaco 172
Warm it up for a good 15 minutes, don't thrash her. Second gear, check for massive boost at 5000 and check if limiter kicks in at around 7200, if it does both then chances are it's running standard.

If it is alot smoother rev wise from 3000 to 7800 then it's probably remapped.

The 5000 rpm kick is very obvious you cant miss it, make me wish I'd not had mine remapped, but when it comes down to it the low end power is better.

monaco 172
I was just trying to simplify it for him, some people new to the forum mite not have a clue what were on about by saying '5k kick'

monaco 172
Call it what you want but I'm sure the op will know exactly what I'm talking about when he goes to test it which In my eyes is good help which is what the forum is about.

Boost may have been the wrong word sorry but I'm sure he knows he hasn't got a turbo or sc under the hood so understood what I meant.

RS 182 CUP
The v tec kick is the same as a clips, they both get the kick from the variable valve timing

CLIO 182
Thanx 4 all the info every1. its definatly not had map of anykind, the boost or kick,lol is at 5k and limits at the 7200k when warm. Not sure if i want it mapped, more power is always good in my eyes! but i kind of like the way the power kicks in now, bit more fun i think. I had a punto gt turbo the other year that was running 190bhp, id say these 2 cars are on par speed wise, but the clio has alot more grip.

Ph 1 172
5k kick will let you no it's so prominent on some cars it's like the car has been kicked up the arse by something

53 Clio's & counting
Rev limiter for 172 ph1 is at 7400? Noob question but important for me right now.

No, the ph1 limter when warm should be:

1st gear :7200 rpm
2nd gear: 7200 rpm
3rd gear : 7000 rpm
4th :7000 rpm
5th : 7000 rpm

Honestly? I had no idea about that.

No, the ph1 limter when warm should be:

1st gear :7200 rpm
2nd gear: 7200 rpm
3rd gear : 7000 rpm
4th :7000 rpm
5th : 7000 rpm

The clio's change the timing at circa 1800 rpm, and back again circa 5800 rpm.

The '5k kick' is simply where the engine reaches its volumetric efficiency

As said the Honda Vtec system works by having 3 valve lobes per valve, 1 small one, and 2 larger ones either side, that are operated by oil pressure at a set rpm.
Under that set rpm, the smaller cam lobe is in use, with the 2 larger ones floating, not in use.
When the set rpm is reached, Oil pressure shoots a locking pin through all cam lobes locking the 2 larger ones into the smaller inner one, there for bringing the larger lobes into use. This holds the valves open for much longer, giving an agressive power increase and giving the fabled vtec kick.

S4 Avant
As said the Honda Vtec system works by having 3 valve lobes per valve, 1 small one, and 2 larger ones either side, that are operated by oil pressure at a set rpm.
Under that set rpm, the smaller cam lobe is in use, with the 2 larger ones floating, not in use.
When the set rpm is reached, Oil pressure shoots a locking pin through all cam lobes locking the 2 larger ones into the smaller inner one, there for bringing the larger lobes into use. This holds the valves open for much longer, giving an agressive power increase and giving the fabled vtec kick.

Nearly ;)

All 3 cam lobes are rotating at the same time, but normally only the two rocker arms either side are lifted. When V-tec kicks in y0, the middle rocker arm is locked into place, and utilises the higher middle cam profile.

Lovely video explaining

RS 182 CUP
I had a 5 gt turbo at 160 bhp, n I was chewing clios all day long in a straight line, brakes on my five were better, but ur right when it comes to handling, never driven anything that grips so well