ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AutoGlym Clean Wheels on Speedline Satin Black - Safe? Yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio 200 FF
Hi guys, quick question...

I am planning to use AutoGlym Clean Wheels on my 200's Satin Black Speedlines... Is this acid-based cleaner safe to use on these alloys?

I tried to find out searching the threads here, but didn't find anything definitive.

Cheers peeps,

Oli

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Some of the halfords products are more like oven cleaner, aimed at people who clean their wheels every 3 years

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mr Muscle ;) or Astonish wheel cleaner for me . Leave to dwell on the wheels while i set up the pressure washer then rinse off . Best Wheel cleaners i've used .

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Brick cleaner I hear is really good...

I'm out.

Inferno 182 Cup
question : whats the issue with the 'clean wheels' ? only ive got half a bottle kicking about somewhere and was gonna clean the ol' anthracites tomorrow :)

Clio 200 FF
I was originally looking at Billberry wheel cleaner, but as Halfords is just round the corner and the AG stuff got some pretty decent reviews I thought I'd give it a go.

Ill get either Billberry or the Auto Finese Imperial for more long term use :) Thanks Boyos!

p.s. Hi, im steve, I notice you are a kirkby fella! Im in sutton most weekends visiting family. Ill keep an eye out for the inferno :p

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Bilberry is fine mate and more economical that AF but not as good. :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
After 3 hours of cleaning, I can state that AG Custom Clean Wheels worked a treat :)

Lmfao . What did you expect ? Autoglym have been making cleaning products for cars for over 40 years . What is all this " i wouldn't personally " and then a comment about AG Engine and machine cleaner being safer lol . Engine and machine cleaner is designed to cut through grease and oil and other crap . How is it much safer than a product that is specifically designed to clean wheels ? I have to laugh when i read these posts from some poor misguided and misinformed individuals . As long as your paints in good condition , no big chips are lacquer peeling off you can pretty much use any cleaning product on your wheels . Like i said before . One of the best i've ever used and i think it was that cleaning guru Fred ;) who mentioned it many moons " Mr Muscle " . Leave it to dwell on the wheels as your setting up the pressure washer then rinse off . Pretty much removes the majority of loose crud as good as any other product i've ever used anyway , and i've tried alot of the years . Another one which can sometimes be found in some pound shops is " Astonish alloy wheel cleaner " . If you do spot it for 99p , get a few bottles , it's well worth it .

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Well worth it if you don't actually like your car wheels or car.

YW.

I'll stick to Bilberry and Poorboys sealant.

My mate once said the same as a lot of people in here that it doesn't damage wheels, shame he spent a fortune having his wheels refurbed, for them to be bubbled and the paint splitting 6 months down the line from using AG Clean Wheels every week.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'll stick to Bilberry and Poorboys sealant.

My mate once said the same as a lot of people in here that it doesn't damage wheels, shame he spent a fortune having his wheels refurbed, for them to be bubbled and the paint splitting 6 months down the line from using AG Clean Wheels every week.

So they bubbled after he had them refurbed ? Sounds like the problem lies with refurb to be honest .

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The refurb was probably crap but i'm sure there would have been less chance of it happening with a safe wheel cleaner.

Nope, same place, same time and same colour as mine. Mine are fine, his aren't. I can only see the acidic cleaner to blame, or he's been cleaning them with bricks as well.

Wheels in question where Turnini's, and mine are the standard R27 wheels, so not much difference in wheel shape.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
What you Rofling at?

You going on about a " safe wheel cleaner " . Do you really think a company like Autoglym don't do rigourous tests to ensure all their products are safe ? They have to do mate , they have to make sure first and foremost they are safe for the environment , safe for the persons using the products and safe for whatever surface they'll be used on .If they didn't they wouldn't be in business for very long . They're all safe if used correctly and with a bit of common sense . If your wheels are in poor condition i.e. lacquer or paint flaking then you have to take more care because you will run the risk of affecting the paintwork or the product getting underneath the paintwork . That stands to reason . It just makes me :rofl: when i read some of the comments . It's like " Lemmingsville " on here sometimes because one person said this and someone else said that , and a mate of a mate who knows someone down the pub had their wheels bubble because they used some kind of toxic acidic cleaner . There's absolutely nothing wrong with AG wheel cleaner , it does what it says on the tin . I'm not saying it's the best out there but it's completely safe to use :approve:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Well it's not. I'm not a Lemming, I actually have used the products I recommend or criticise. Autoglym do some very good products, their wheels cleaners are acidic, ie not good for wheels. It's pretty simple.

Autosmart are a good business and have been around for years. I wouldn't want to get neat smartwheels on my hand though.

Your opinion is wrong.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Well it's not. I'm not a Lemming, I actually have used the products I recommend or criticise. Autoglym do some very good products, their wheels cleaners are acidic, ie not good for wheels. It's pretty simple.

Autosmart are a good business and have been around for years. I wouldn't want to get neat smartwheels on my hand though.

Your opinion is wrong.

My opinion is RIGHT ;) Your one of those misguided individuals i was speaking of :rasp:

I'd just like to state that it wasn't a bloke at the pub I know, it was one of my best mates who owns a 172 cup. Had all 8 wheels, mine and his done at the same time as we got a decent price for a top notch job. I've used nothing but Bilberry and Poorboys sealent since day one, he has used nothing but AG and Wonder Wheels since day 1.

Now my wheels are perfect, not a problem with them at all. His are now showing signs of bubbling and beggining to flake off in places where the bubbling has happening. I've used AG in the past by hand, and fck me, get it in a cut it and it burns! Acid reacts with metal, keep on using it time after time and it will affect the surface. Using it once in a while like the op, you may not have any problems.

Simple test. Spray AG Cleans Wheels on your hand and leave it. Then do the same with a safe wheel cleaner. I know which I'd rather do.

Or of course just read the label on the back showing the make up of each. But simple tests for simple people etc.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Flol at telling Gally of all people that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Automated car washes gave been around for years also. They must be safe for your car too right?

Strange that I've never seen a professional detailer using such a safe and trusted product. They must be misguided lemmings too.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'd just like to state that it wasn't a bloke at the pub I know, it was one of my best mates who owns a 172 cup. Had all 8 wheels, mine and his done at the same time as we got a decent price for a top notch job. I've used nothing but Bilberry and Poorboys sealent since day one, he has used nothing but AG and Wonder Wheels since day 1.

Now my wheels are perfect, not a problem with them at all. His are now showing signs of bubbling and beggining to flake off in places where the bubbling has happening. I've used AG in the past by hand, and fck me, get it in a cut it and it burns! Acid reacts with metal, keep on using it time after time and it will affect the surface. Using it once in a while like the op, you may not have any problems.

Firstly let me congratulate you on having more than one best mate ;)

In all seriousness though . Most wheel cleaners are alkalines which if you know anything about chemisty can have just as adverse affect on paintwork or bare metal as acids .

Quite an interesting read on here about acid v alkaline wheel cleaners , Bilberry being at the top end of the alkaline scale . If you read the full article there's also a guy who had his wheels refurbed and only ever washed his wheels with water and mild shampoo yet after 12 months his wheels bubbled ? So you tell me , maybe aftermarket refurbs aren't quite as good as factory painted wheels ? Plus alot of it will be down to the prep work too .

A quote from detailingworld :

" My alloys started bubbling a year after getting fully refurbed, and I never used anything other than water and mild shampoo to clean them. So I wouldn't use anecdotal evidence to jump to conclusions on ph and such-like! "

user_offline.gif
quote.gif

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=153870

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Flol at telling Gally of all people that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Automated car washes gave been around for years also. They must be safe for your car too right?

Strange that I've never seen a professional detailer using such a safe and trusted product. They must be misguided lemmings too.

Sorry that Gallys infinite wisdom should ever be questioned :nono:. Jeez send me to the Tower for such High Treason . Like i said before " Lemmings " :rasp:

Silly, silly Billy. But you're very welcome to form your own opinions based on the information provided. You're not wrong until proven so with dull wheels. If it doesn't happen, you'll not change your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.