ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux kit fitted, now the car wont start

Clio 172
I installed a new aux belt, pulleys, tensioner etc today after the previous one shredded a little bit.

I have gone to start it and it makes a whirring noise, but wont start.

I have checked the alternator, the timing belt looks ok and is turning when you try to start it.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is there no compression?

I had a quick chat with a mechanic mate who said nothing on the aux side would cause the car to not start or lose compression.

Anyone? Please help, this is my daily driver

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I can give you an example of something on that side with the aux belt that could cause it to lose compression...

Belt shreads and enters the timing case. This slips the timing and bends the valves... no compression!

You need to perform a compression test first of all and then possibly a timing check.

Clio 182 arctic
I would imagine the bit that shredded previously is somewhere around the back of the crank pulley and it is just unfortunate that it has reared its head as you changed the belt.
Did the car run when the belt was split? run fine? or not run at all. If not then the belt change was in vane.
It may look like this? Same thing happened to mine.

DSCF3574_zps91bf178a.jpg

Clio 172
To be honest there wasnt much that came off the belt, literally half as thick as a piece of string. When I have taken the head off, I found the timing belt tensioner did not take the tension off the belt, so I am assuming that this has caused problems, or that the bearings in the water pump seized - I base this on a high pitched whirring when the engine was initially started, which I believe can have an impact on the bottom pulley.

The cams were at completely different angles when I popped the caps off - the inlet was at 90 degrees and exhaust 180 degrees, so the dephaser side has obviously slipped or skipped.

I took the head off today and ALL of the inlet valves were bent upwards. The seats were fine. Most of the exhaust valves were also unseated so the head is going to get skimmed, crack tested and 16 new valves lapped in tomorrow/tuesday.

The top end is being fully rebuilt, timing, gaskets etc to future proof it.

The bottom pulley turns easily by hand with no scoring to the bores and the pistons are fine it appears.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Check the water pumps Ok. I heard if u change your Aux belt can put some strain know old waterpump

Clio 172
Yeah it is getting replaced. My friend (a mechanic) originally just changed the tensioner on the aux pulley. I think that this might have caused the waterpump and a few other parts to s**t themselves.

I have got a new genuine aux kit and Gates timing belt kit to go on as well as a new waterpump. Busy boy the next few days haha