ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Digital SLR for HD Vids?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I currently own a Canon 20D which I have various lenses and Canon equipment for, its been a great camera for what Ive been using it for after buying it second hand of my Uncle years ago. I am now looking at upgrading, but sticking with a Canon so I can use my lenses, filters etc. Id love an SLR that is able to shoot HD videos as I really want to try my hand at some stuff and my current camcorder is on its last legs. Ive been looking at the Canon 550D, as I'm after something around the £500/600 mark and Ive read some good reviews. Has anyone had experience with this and its video capabilities? Or are there any other camera's that I would be better off looking at?

Thanks,

2.2 bar shed.
600D (98% the same camera as the 550D), the end. For video you'll find the tilty swively screen helpful.

2.2 bar shed.
Second hand 60D would be in budget aye. If you've got big hands as well you'll probably like the 60D more.

CLIO Iceberg 172
I currently have the 550D and have spent lots of hours reviewing footage etc take from the 550, 60 and 7D, and there is nion nothing between them. the only main thing the high SLR's have over the 550 is the other features in the software which allow a much higher customer editability. things like build quility is also a different with the high models being made for the more professionals. but from a ameture point of view you really cant go wrong with any of the range for video. The only limiting factor would be the price and what else you would like to do with it.
There is a greate review on you tube which pits the three cameras (above) together in a video and photo shoot out using the same lens etc.

CLIO Iceberg 172
just make sure that with any of the video range you must have a class 10 or above SD card otherwise you wont be able to shoot HD movies. also you can only shoot 12min at one time due to the file sizes as the cameras are limited to a 4gb file. they shoot at about 330mb a min but still work under FAT32 file system which limits them

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I currently have the 550D and have spent lots of hours reviewing footage etc take from the 550, 60 and 7D, and there is nion nothing between them. the only main thing the high SLR's have over the 550 is the other features in the software which allow a much higher customer editability. things like build quility is also a different with the high models being made for the more professionals. but from a ameture point of view you really cant go wrong with any of the range for video. The only limiting factor would be the price and what else you would like to do with it.
There is a greate review on you tube which pits the three cameras (above) together in a video and photo shoot out using the same lens etc.

Great, thank you, I'll take a look at the video. How easy is the 550D to use in video mode? Is it as simple as flipping a switch and shoot away?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
just make sure that with any of the video range you must have a class 10 or above SD card otherwise you wont be able to shoot HD movies. also you can only shoot 12min at one time due to the file sizes as the cameras are limited to a 4gb file. they shoot at about 330mb a min but still work under FAT32 file system which limits them

Okay, I'll take a look on how much they'd cost me.

CLIO Iceberg 172
yep simply switch to video and then hit the deadicated rec button. the rest is up to you with the lens. due to the speed of some of the lens esp the kit lens its always best to manual focus. this allows better control.
but if you get a lens with infinate focus point you can userly get away with sticking the lens in that and start filming.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
yep simply switch to video and then hit the deadicated rec button. the rest is up to you with the lens. due to the speed of some of the lens esp the kit lens its always best to manual focus. this allows better control.
but if you get a lens with infinate focus point you can userly get away with sticking the lens in that and start filming.

To be honest id want to use manual focus anyway, as I want full control over such aspects when shooting video. That is something I've always wanted to play with and have been unable to with a normal video camera.

As for the SD cards, would something like this be suitable?
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...string=class+10+SD+card&urlrefer=search&ops=1

CLIO Iceberg 172
yeah that should be fine. will shoot about 4 12min videos and its class 10 so should be fine. just make sure you run a speed test on it to make sure it is what it says it is, as some of the low price models have a tendancey to be peek transfer rate not sustained transfer rate. as long as it the sustained up speed is over 10mbs you should be fine

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
How would you do a speed test on it? :eek: It says its capable of up to 20mb/s transfer speed.

CLIO Iceberg 172
yea that would be peek transfer rate not sustained. there are free progames you can download from the net which allow you to test the card via a card reader these would tell you everything you want to know. to be a class 10 it has to have a sustained rate of over 10mbs. some cards destroy this but some cards bearly come close but as class 10 is currently the highest rating, they all get the same label untill a new rating is agreed on

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Arh I see! So I take its better to spend a little more in the card department? Thank you very much for your help, I best get saving!

CLIO Iceberg 172
its the write speed you need to focus on, the card i showed you is 20up and 20 down, the one i have i tested and it got 16mbs up and down. if you look at the card you showed its got the astrex * at the end, so it should be fine just make sure you test it to insure its speeds are the same up and down.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
its the write speed you need to focus on, the card i showed you is 20up and 20 down, the one i have i tested and it got 16mbs up and down. if you look at the card you showed its got the astrex * at the end, so it should be fine just make sure you test it to insure its speeds are the same up and down.

Arh I missed the link you posted, oops! I understand now, I shall try and invest in a decent card then :)