ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best ebook reader?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
As per title, what is the best ebook reader around?

My Mum wants one for Xmas. I stress, she doesn't want a tablet, just an ebook reader.

Is it the Kindle?

Also, is the kindle back-lit?

Cheers in advance, as per.

Deeg

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Not sure if you saw watchdog the other day. They were saying that the first gen kindle is crap and only last about a year before having problems with the display. Obviously it's covered by warranty but when they supply a replacement the warranty only last for 3 months. There were quite few people on there moaning about them so probably be better going for a newer model one.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent.

Ron - I had seen that actually, but I try and take Watcjdog with a pinch of salt.

Got the basic £69 Kindle with a case, a light and a charger.

Christmas shopping - DONE!

A bit late cos you've already bought one but anyway...

Kindle. All day long. Just to reassure you that you did the right thing: You did the right thing. Fuckin love my Kindle and everyone who I know who as one also loves theirs.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I did a bit of research online, and it seems the best option, certainly for what she wants anyway.

Not complicated, can be set up with her info on her wireless. Job done.

Cheers all.

They're piss easy. We sorted out my Grandma with one and she doesn't have any problems.

The only thing we had to do with her was basically get it all set up via an Amazon account on her laptop. She found it considerably easier than fiddling about with the little keyboard or d-pad on the Kindle itself. So she can shop for books, read reviews and then do the actual buying on the laptop and the book just appears on her Kindle. Sorted.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
They're piss easy. We sorted out my Grandma with one and she doesn't have any problems.

The only thing we had to do with her was basically get it all set up via an Amazon account on her laptop. She found it considerably easier than fiddling about with the little keyboard or d-pad on the Kindle itself. So she can shop for books, read reviews and then do the actual buying on the laptop and the book just appears on her Kindle. Sorted.

Ah, that sounds like my job on Xmas day.

Is it cloud based for transfer then?

Heh, yeah, I was round there Christmas Day afternoon sorted out her account and getting it set up.

Yep, it's a bit like a Steam or iTunes account - The books are associated with your Amazon account and so can be downloaded to whatever device you like. I have both my Kindle and iPad set up with my Kindle/Amazon account.

ST TDCI
Ive had my keyboard kindle for just over a year now 4gb model - no issues at all. Its used pretty much every day and I love it - would'nt be without one now.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I picked up the new one (£69) with a case, light and charger for £80 I think, from Amazon.

They despatched within 24 hours too.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Might just go for that then..

Il be ordering from amazon more than likely, I was just browsing Argos at the time :rasp: