ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstein PSS9 issues after fitting

'53 Clio Cup, VX220 Turbo
Just had these fitted to 2003 Clio Cup, but 2 issues have cropped up:

1 - tyre rubbing on arch/wheelarch liner when on lock under moderate cornering speed - not really hanging it out to the limit. Not dropped it by full amount the coilovers will allow - prob just somewhere in the middle of the range.

2 - 1st/2nd gear speed manouvering under moderate steering lock and there's a harsh "knock/clunk" sound - sounds like something under tension that then pops back into place.

Is there a safe/recommended limit to lower the car by to avoid any rubbing problems or is there something else to do/adjust. Is the knock/clunk noise related to top-mounts ?? Had no issues with this when running standard kit though.

Any help much appreciated - really want to get out there and start enjoying the car.

Cheers.

'53 Clio Cup, VX220 Turbo
Spoke to GDI and they said that wheelarch liner and bumper bracket need modifying to sort rubbing issue. Anyone got any pics of this mod ?

Thanks.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
You got the PSS9's (damper adjustable) or just the PSS (non damper adjustable)? I have the PSS which I'll be fitting on Friday so will let you know if I get the same problems.

Take it you've lowered it a fair bit?

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted mine so I'll try and answer as best I can:

1 - You'll need to remove or cut the arch liner in the areas that it rubs. I'm currently about 2 inches or so down on the adjusters (so loads of threads left) and I don't have any rubbing issues although when it was halfway down it rubbed really badly just trying to drive in general.

2 - I take it the knock is from the front? When you fitted the coilovers and first dropped it down off the jack did you ensure that the top of the coilover sat properly? I held mine in place and then very carefully lowered it down using the jack and then once it sat in place I let go and then dropped it the rest of the way down. Did you make sure the top mount nuts were tight too?

If you've done all that ok, it will most likely be the top mounts (common problem). You need some decent ones like compbrake which I think can be bought from Shed Motorsport.

Also, when building the coilovers, did you put the rubber part off the top of the old suspension and the washer underneath and fit them both on top of the metal top of the Bilstein? There's a 17mm nut you need to tighten up to make sure that's all held together too although it will still be a little loose as per the standard suspension but this will be fine once they are fitted.

I take it the springs were seated properly too?

With regards to height, I think Bilstein recommend 30mm all round but I think this is just to cover their own backs. I personally don't think the rear lowers the car 30mm (not on the 172 cup with the adjusters fitted anyway). Many people have run more than this on the rear and much more on the front too with no issues. You'll just need to modify the arch liner as above.

This is how mine currently sits, lowest it'll go at rear with the adjusters fitted and about 2inch of thread down on the front:

popppoo742xs5.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: