ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blu-ray starting to gain serious momentum with Dark Knight! (p.s. i'm not Batman)

Fair play, I'm not meaning to sound as though I'm not interested in opinions. I've been asking plenty of questions afterall :)

It doesn't only offer analogue. It has tos & coax digital in also, which will work just fine with either a PS3 or a standalone. However, as it doesn't have a HDMI input, I would need a player will analogue outputs if I wanted top use HD audio. All my amp will then have to do is amplify them. It's still very capable in every other way.

TBH I am now wondering whether or not it's worth bothering about HD audio right now. I know how this system sounds with DVDs, so if it sounds just that good with Blu Rays I'd be happy. In which case that of course puts the PS3 back on the table, as it has a toslink digital out.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i've not heard HD sound before, some people say it doesn't sound that different, and others just say it sounds a lot better because they have it and have to justify to themselves of the money they have spent.

I'll get to hear it christmas day with my dads new system but i can't imagine I will say wow, thats much better than dolby digital as IMO, that already sounds amazing on my £200 amp using toslink.

So this is the logic for me now;

If I get a player with 8 channel outs, I can use HD audio OR regular old vanilla 5.1. I think I'm going to stick with the latter, so I don't necessarily need such a player, which in turn means the PS3 is an option, but I'm not sure I want one. Although GT5 would be good, and I already have a G25 wheel for my PC. Gran Tourismo 42" HD goodness with a G25 most certainly does appeal to me...

dk

911 GTS Cab
i use a PS3 for my blu-ray's and a standard 5.1 DD setup and I find it absolutely fine, but then i've got nothing to compare it to i guess, its certainly not a bad option, jsut depends if you are an audiophile and always want the best, and in that case it would be HD sound, I guess its like buying a blu-ray and getting an SD picture as your tv isn't HD

dk

911 GTS Cab
yes, they either give out DD or DTS and take it from the core track I think it is, so whenever I play a TrueHD disk I get DD.

All audio is only as good as ther weakest link though, right? I'd wager that vanilla 5.1 on my system will sound better than HD audio being run through a budget sound system. I'm leaning toward the PS3 right now I have to say :D

dk

911 GTS Cab
i think the best offer on the ps3 at the moment is game, unit + 4 games for £280 instore.

Can buy it without any games for about £250 I think.

SLK 350
Buy the bundle and eBay the games, looking at £200/210 then.

I live in a block of flats so currently only have a small system as I don't want to push everyone off, but I just run TOSlink from the PS3 to my amp, that does me for 5.1DD and the HDMI feeds the picture. Works a treat for my situation.

OMGZ. It's happening this week. All over the next 3 days.

Panny 800B 42" 1080p/24 Plasma
PS3 with remote and some games & a moovie baby
Gourmet wood & glass stand/AV rack
Wall-E, Dark Night, Cars, Cloverfield, Transformers, Band of Brothers.

I feel like I did when I got into DVD in the early days :approve:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Sounds like it's going to be a Nice Setup

I'm looking to Order a LG 37lg6000 and a PS3 at the end of this week, No Surround Sound or anything as its just for my bedroom for now until i move out.

Do it buddy. Defo get a decent sound system in the future though. It's not always about volume. An expensive system will astound you at all volumes.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Oh most definitely going to get a Nice surround Sound Setup once I Buy a Place of my own

As a fresh starter, and if you have some reasonable funds, buy separates later. All-in-ones are great, but they will leave you fucked in a years time. Always buy bespoke gear IMO.

Mito Sportiva 135
Would a BR player hook up to my Sony amp? It's a couple of years old now and only 2 channel output but still fantastic quality. Currently have it hooked up to my DVD player just through the standard 2 pin (yellow and red I think) connection.

Bit of a n00b when it comes to all this connection stuff these days!

Thanks! :cool:

SLK 350
Assume you're taking about phono leads? You should be able to find a system with suitable outputs. You sure your amp doesn't have an optical out?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
get some pics posted roy when it arrives and is set up.

plus hook me up with your psn also ;)

Indeed. The biggest problem was choosing between plasma or LCD, but as I'm no pikey, it had to be plasma ;)

All the gear is either packing or already in transit. It's going to be a big job though. I've got to completely dismantle my existing system, which includes the existing bi-wiring and all sorts. The sub will be relocated near a corner too, which is worrying me as I don't want boomy reflections and shizzle. I reckon I'll have it setup by the end of the week. Already found my SPL meter :eek:

Should look alright, may also get a newer amp in the new year so I can try out HD audio, but that's far from a priority at the mo. DD & DTS 5.1 are hardly shoddy :)

That is a damn good price, but if I do it, TBH I'll most likely be looking at something a little more high end. My current amp was ~£600 in 2002. I'll probably be looking at the £800 range, but it's good to know this kit is so cheap these days :)

You dont realise how many wires there are. I moved all mine the other week, took much longer than I was expecting. All organised now though, well until the cable monster comes in during the night and tangles them all up.

It doesn't help when your speaker cables require a bolt cutter to cut to length TBH. I was expecting all of this to take at least a full day actually, so not too bad :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
Would a BR player hook up to my Sony amp? It's a couple of years old now and only 2 channel output but still fantastic quality. Currently have it hooked up to my DVD player just through the standard 2 pin (yellow and red I think) connection.

Bit of a n00b when it comes to all this connection stuff these days!

Thanks! :cool:
sure you can, taking the Sony S350 for example you can do it, see page 22

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4120891111.pdf

That player is only £160 with 5 blu-rays at amazon at the moment

This is f**king brilliant. A completely rewired system , and a new stand/rack, but no telly or PS3 to go on it. It'd better turn up tomorrow or I might hang myself :( LOL

PICS are way too needy really TBH. Look at me etc. I may snap a few and pm some your way though. Just for technical reference :D

LOL well the telly won't be here 'til Monday now which is a bummer. Oh well, all good things come to those who wait :)

Okay here's a poor quality iPhone snap. Doesn't look very nice in the photo though TBH.

attachment.php

SLK 350
You need a (new) bird in your life mate to sort out the interior design side of things. The carpet/rub/picture have got to go! Oh and please take that plant off of your sub...

On the upside I like the stand/floorstanders; I was looking at that stand (or similar) in Selfridges the other week. Looks smart :)

P.S L+R seem quite close together, surely you'll get a better stage/seperation if you widen them into the corners?

Yeah thanks for the interior design lessons. That was really the point. It's a horrid bland, cold, dull photo TBH and looks much nicer IRL. I like it as it thanks, but yeah the plant won't be staying on the sub. In fact I'm not even sure the sub will stay there.

They are about 7-8ft apart which is perfect based on the listening position. You should always be outside the triangle or the front stage will sound a mess.

Sorry I meant you should never be inside the triangle. Better to be slightly closer togther than you are away from them :)

EDIT: forget that, I misread my original comment FFS. You get the point :D