ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Have wagon boxes changed much? are they automatic theses days?
Well I can only speak for the Scania boxes, so the answer is no not really. They all come from new with what's known as an opticruise gearbox. All that is, is a manual box with air operated selectors and a electronically actuated clutch, so it's a glorified manual box essentially.
You have to put a tick in the box if you want a manual box now when you order the truck from new.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Just wondered, my sold up his company about 10 years ago. I just wondered how things had moved along. He had a couple of early 2000s Scania's.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I cleaned the outside of my Ford box at the weekend, but I don't think that's on the same level as what you've been doing...

Will be ordering the new gear kit in the next couple of weeks though, so we can talk about sending it your way if you'd still be interested! I need to work out which FD to use first though.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I cleaned the outside of my Ford box at the weekend, but I don't think that's on the same level as what you've been doing...

Will be ordering the new gear kit in the next couple of weeks though, so we can talk about sending it your way if you'd still be interested! I need to work out which FD to use first though.
Lol! Yeah I'm happy to do it mate. Just let me know when and we can sort something out.

I'll reply back to your pm as well at some point!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Still nothing to update on the engine front I'm afraid sports fans. Been busy the past few weeks with other things like sorting out the caliper brackets and other bits and pieces, so I've not had a chance to even attempt to look at the cup!!
I have however got a few exciting things in the pipeline!! Want some brembo brackets? Well I've finalised a setup that will allow me to run either a 280mm disc or 300mm disc (I'll be running 295's as I've machined my calipers) without the need to faff with having 2 different brackets! :cool:
Also I have this in the pipeline!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This is a 3D printed stub axle that myself and @nath&alex have been working on. The idea behind it is that they will allow you to run a larger rear wheel bearing but still allow you to retain the original rear caliper assembly. More reliability is the major benefit of this little enhancement! Currently only suitable for non abs cars, but I'm pretty confident that we can adapt it to suit the abs equipped cars. :wink:

All that's left to do is try the 3D printed stub axle on the car to see if there's any issues to iron out, then providing there's no issues, they will go into the machine shop to be manufactured.

Most definitely, more to come!!:smilingimp:

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Mark it turning in to the local parts dealer and getting us all hooked!

Been meaning to ask this anout your gearbox build mate.
How come you didn't do/add the bearing plate conversion (the one with 2 holes in)?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Mark it turning in to the local parts dealer and getting us all hooked!

Been meaning to ask this anout your gearbox build mate.
How come you didn't do/add the bearing plate conversion (the one with 2 holes in)?
Lol!!

What plate would that be then mate? I don't know of one with 2 holes in tbh?? I'm assuming you've got confused with either the renfort plate (which isn't needed with an aftermarket diff) or the reinforcement plate that requires machining to the casings.
I didn't use the latter as I genuinely don't believe there's a need for it in a track/road car.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Lol!!

What plate would that be then mate? I don't know of one with 2 holes in tbh?? I'm assuming you've got confused with either the renfort plate (which isn't needed with an aftermarket diff) or the reinforcement plate that requires machining to the casings.
I didn't use the latter as I genuinely don't believe there's a need for it in a track/road car.
The latter...was reading up on improving these gearboxes reliability wise.
Apparently revs kill the gearbox and that was why that plate was designed....apparently thete even some casings cadt with the plate in situ.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The latter...was reading up on improving these gearboxes reliability wise.
Apparently revs kill the gearbox and that was why that plate was designed....apparently thete even some casings cadt with the plate in situ.
I think a lot of it will come down to the oil properties tbh as that plate won't do anything other than stop the casings twisting.

All just my opinion though and happy to be put right if I'm wrong! :up:

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
For those who are interested a few more pictures of the 3D printed mock up of the rear setup @NorthloopCup and I have been working on
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Fits nicely on the spare rear beam I have. Just need to spend some time with Mark now to double/triple check everything now we have the extremely accurate 3D printed mock up. Then we can get a couple of sets manufactured and try them. As Mark said, the aim of this little adventure is reliability :up:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
now get a set of aluminium rear hats made up so we can change the disc without changing the bearing...:up:
Well it's certainly doable, but it's also expensive. I personally think it's unnecessary as you just don't change the rear discs often enough.

Looking good!.. You trying to do a cheaper version of the ones Pure Motorsport offer? £465 is a little steel for those bits!
Cheers mate! Well yeah I suppose so. The stub axles are something I've been working on for a few years believe it or not! There's a potential that these will work with the original abs setup as well, but it's nothing that concerns myself or @nath&alex as we don't have abs to worry about.

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good!.. You trying to do a cheaper version of the ones Pure Motorsport offer? £465 is a little steel for those bits!
@NorthloopCup and I have spent a lot of time measuring and working out a solution. This was using the 182 rear setup, a Twingo rear setup and some engineering drawings of both rear discs. I spent a lot of time drawing things up on CAD, looking at ensuring the rear wheel stayed in the same position, making sure there was the correct clearance between the caliper mounting bracket and the disc. Ensuring it was the best possible solution we could engineer for what we needed. With hope that we could manufacturer it for less than the price quoted above. The final step we have undertaken to ensure the solution is accurate and will work before we start manufacture is a full size 3D printed mock up. As Mark says this solution could be made to work with ABS, but for people who don't have it or don't want to run it this is the perfect solution.
When I get chance I will post up my CAD drawings showing our design and hopefully it will show how much effort we have put in.

Last edited:

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
This is interesting. I was literally just hovering over the buy now button on PMS website till I got offered a McDonalds!

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Are they going to be made of billet like the PMS kit? And do you have a rough idea?

This is the last piece of the puzzle for my rear beam but in no rush

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Yeah they'll be made from billet en24T mate and done on a 3 axis cnc machine. Price would be tbc at present.

Sorry lol, I didn't finish what I was typing for some strange reason in that post. I meant did you have a rough idea of when your'll have them finished lol?
Price not to fused lol as I was happy to pay the PMS price lol.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry lol, I didn't finish what I was typing for some strange reason in that post. I meant did you have a rough idea of when your'll have them finished lol?
Price not to fused lol as I was happy to pay the PMS price lol.
Ah right ok! Well they will be being machined imminently, so once I have more info I'll post it in here.