ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

340i
YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!

Awesome results Mark, bet that goes like a rat up a drain pipe :)

clio 182
great stuff!!
just the engine spec list makes me drool and the engine bay looks spot on!!!

great thread and would love to see this in motion :up:

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Itbs are a dirty word in this thread mate!! I'd say it would probably do a higher peak hp figure, but it would lose torque due to the runners being shorter.

Ha! I know I know, but it would be interesting, just for the sake of science. I would guess you are right. Getting good runner length to keep the torque up would be difficult. Should be a riot now for sure, good torque for a little four banger.

I am looking forward to a ride some time!

numbers_

ClioSport Club Member
I'm definitely not scared of taking too much kerb at the 'ring mate. I have video evidence. Flol!
Now I've been reading this thread for a while, never clicked on the user name until now haha.
Grats on the figures, can't wait to see that torque curve

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Holy Moses that's an amazing figure Mark. Really brilliant, makes me want to stay N/A with numbers that high and a rev limit like that. Thumbs up on a stunning build. Congratulations on the little un too, I missed that until now.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ok so mega multi quote time!!

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!

Awesome results Mark, bet that goes like a rat up a drain pipe :smile:
Cheers mate. Not driven it yet, but I'm collecting it soon so I'll report back when I have.

Awesome car, awesome project, awesome results!!!

Hats off to you!

Bet it goes like a scolded cat.

Look forward to the day I see this and can have a passenger ride!
Thanks Martin! As above! Might have to do a little video......

Wow great result mate!
Thanks mate!

great stuff!!
just the engine spec list makes me drool and the engine bay looks spot on!!!

great thread and would love to see this in motion :up:
Thanks! Yeah you don't realise how much you've put into the engine/build until you write it all down in a list like that!! Best not let the wife see. Lol:tearsofjoy:

Ha! I know I know, but it would be interesting, just for the sake of science. I would guess you are right. Getting good runner length to keep the torque up would be difficult. Should be a riot now for sure, good torque for a little four banger.

I am looking forward to a ride some time!
Yeah I'm looking forward to the first drive now. It's been over 18 months since the last one, and it's gained around 50hp and 25lb/ft! :smilingimp:

Now I've been reading this thread for a while, never clicked on the user name until now haha.
Grats on the figures, can't wait to see that torque curve
Cheers! Once I have the graph I'll post it up so everyone can see it. It's not as peaky as the fuel map though. That looked like the Pyrenees thanks to resonance and lumpy cams!!

Holy Moses that's an amazing figure Mark. Really brilliant, makes me want to stay N/A with numbers that high and a rev limit like that. Thumbs up on a stunning build. Congratulations on the little un too, I missed that until now.
At £250 per piston and £500 per camshaft I'd advise going for boost mate. Lol! Getting the numbers like that in n/a form is a lot harder than boost, and it also puts strain on everything revving up to 8k.

Cheers though mate, and thanks for the congratulations. :up:

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Well done Mark, one of the best build's I've read in a long while. Congrats... You deserve the success of the fruits of your labour! and hopefully more to come...

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well done Mark, one of the best build's I've read in a long while. Congrats... You deserve the success of the fruits of your labour! and hopefully more to come...
Cheers mate! Appreciate you taking the time to read through it all.

I've looked into the costs to take this engine one step further already. Open mind and all that. Lol

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Did chip sell that solid lifter kit? ;)

Great result Mark! Ring trip in mid July I know a few planning it..

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Did chip sell that solid lifter kit? :wink:

Great result Mark! Ring trip in mid July I know a few planning it..
Yeah he did mate. It would be the genuine R3 maxi evo stuff I'll buy if I do progress this anyway as its all tried and tested in this engine.

Yeah it's looking favourable, but not 100% confirmed yet. With a wife that'll be 26 weeks pregnant, she may have other ideas.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ok so seeing as it's now making some proper hp, I thought it's time to dig out the gearbox oil cooler. This is another leftover item from off my Astra build.

It's tried and tested and proven to work, and let's be honest, the jc5 needs as much help as it can get! Lol!
image.jpeg
Just a case of where/when to install it, but I think it'll be done over winter when it's in hibernation.

Back in the game. More to come!! Lol

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yeah I think now is the time to try and get some enjoyment out of it. Get the essentials done and then have some fun. You can always make more tweaks later.

Very easy for a project to get very long-winded as you know already I'm sure, so be good for you to have some fun over the summer!

Clio RS172 Ph2
Really awesome result, congrats. After the whole building proces this is a great reward. Must give a lot satisfaction I think, and thats where you doing it for!

Is the car finished now or do you have more plans for the future? Or just enjoying it and keeping him healthy?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I think now is the time to try and get some enjoyment out of it. Get the essentials done and then have some fun. You can always make more tweaks later.

Very easy for a project to get very long-winded as you know already I'm sure, so be good for you to have some fun over the summer!
I'll definitely be getting some enjoyment from it now mate. I've got the pms shifter to fit, but other than that it'll be getting driven and enjoyed.

Really awesome result, congrats. After the whole building proces this is a great reward. Must give a lot satisfaction I think, and thats where you doing it for!

Is the car finished now or do you have more plans for the future? Or just enjoying it and keeping him healthy?
Cheers! Yeah it was a nice feeling seeing it make the numbers and stay in one piece.

As for what the future holds, who knows mate. For the time being I'll just be enjoying it.

Clio 200
Good effort mate.
How much was done to your inlet? Extensive or just spit and polish!?

My K20 plans have been abandoned (annoyingly so because I've got a whole engine and box to shift!), but it's encouraging to see results on the plenum. 1600rpm idle though, WAY more lairy than 403's dude! Hoping some headwork and inlet love I might be able to knock out 220bhp :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Good effort mate.
How much was done to your inlet? Extensive or just spit and polish!?

My K20 plans have been abandoned (annoyingly so because I've got a whole engine and box to shift!), but it's encouraging to see results on the plenum. 1600rpm idle though, WAY more lairy than 403's dude! Hoping some headwork and inlet love I might be able to knock out 220bhp :smile:
Cheers Rich! Not a lot tbh mate. Just matched it all properly and then gave it a good polish.

Yeah the cams are in Scoffs words, 'radical'. Lol!!

What was your Astra like? As a converted Vauxhall geek I'm interested!
There's some pics of it a few pages back mate. Annoyingly I have none of the engine bay though. Did you used to go to the Vauxhall shows then?

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Yeah, I used to be fairly in to the whole 'scene', shows, forums, the lot. I even worked for PVD back in the day (although that's not always the best thing to admit)

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Right time for the final instalment!!

As I mentioned previously, a vvc engine is mapped backwards in comparison to the conventional way of building up the rpm and mapping through the load sites. This meant that the engines potential would be seen within 6-10 dyno pulls.
Scoff then set the rollers in motion and it was game on. So what you need to keep in mind is that the high ambient air temps on the day and in the dyno cell obviously have an impact on power. Also worth noting is the R3 engine is quoted as 230hp and 180lb/ft. Anything within 5% of this figure is deemed acceptable by Renaultsport........

On the day, the cup managed to pull 229.9hp at 7700/7800 rpm and we saw 181lb/ft of torque. And not a set of itbs in sight!! Mission accomplished. Here's the video I took of scoff doing his thing and getting that 229.9 dyno pull:

Hard cut limiter is set to 8k rpm and the idle speed is set at 1600rpm - the cams dictated this as they're a bit lumpy! Lol!

So I guess that's it. This chapter has come to a close now for me, but there's a few people that can't go unrecognised for their help along the way.
First off, I've got to say a massive thank you to Scoff @ EFI. He's really done me proud on this. Next up its thanks again to Sean @ ktec. Without him, the vvc wouldn't have been working to its full potential like it does now.

@BIGASH has to get a mention for his utter confidence that we would see some good things from this engine, and also being at the end of the phone to listen to me rant! Lol! Get packing youth - we've got a trip to Germany coming!!
@Dan@SJM for assistance on the mapping when the piece of s**t wouldn't run and no one could fathom out why!!
@not normal dan another one who's tried to talk sense into me when I'd happily have panelled the car!
@nath&alex another legend who's been on the end of the phone and sorted out some awesome stub axles.

And finally the biggest thanks has to go to the wife. I've lost countless hours to this project, yet she's been there at every step of the way.

I am as they say, Romeo done. :up:

at least remember to thank the dog.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I had this -

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/2299/CIMG0086vi.jpg

(On the right)

Followed by a nova, another corsa, a cavalier, another corsa, an insignia and another corsa which I'm trying to sell.

The yellow corsa is the only one which is memorable in any way though, it was about 10 years ago now but was at PVS for probably 3 years in a row.
I think I recognise it mate. I used to prefer Billing to the other shows