ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brembo rebuild question + paint

So I have some 4 pots to put on the 182 soon, but a couple of the seals have some small tears on them, apart from that all of them look in great condition so is it perfectly fine just to replace the 2 that are a bit buggered and not the lot?

Can someone point me in the direction to using a spare tyre as an air line to get the pistons out? Can I just get some cheap hose/gun off of ebay with the right connection?

In terms of painting them I suppose as long as its smooth and clean it will be fine. There is some slight pitting and chips, if I get loads of coats of paint and clear coat on them will that be enough to sort of protect it from getting worse?

Much appreciated

phase 1 flamer 172
Personally I would replace the same seals side for side, don't want any side to side variation. Also when I used air to push the pistons out of standard iron calipers, needed about 100 psi,

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Can lift the pistons out on the Brembo's by hand using a flat head screwdriver to lever the lip of the piston.

Done it a few times on Meganes.

Just don't scratch the bore of the piston!

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Depends how many miles on them but I took mine to a brake shop and they removed the seals and Pistons in 30 mins

Thanks for all the info, Im going to pick up a kit and do them all, ive seen the guides on the rebuild and its literally just getting the pistons out because of no tools thats holding me back. @JamesBryan Thanks, Ive seen this done, its just the pistons are pushed back in so its getting to them, im gonna get some needle pliers anyway but i dont know if i can remove the seal with them in, I only know what I read up on and dont like to improv trying to do some things
@gambit they look newish, its a shame really!

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
Ive done loads of brembo callipers pistons and seal kits, I find the best way of removing the pistons is with compressed air. Sometimes the pistons fly out, other times they can be stubborn, if they are stubborn then im guessing theyl need replacing, if the pistons have any score marks or corrosion pitting replace them.. The seals , on the callipers I have done [NOT Renault ones] are usually easily removable with a slim "toothpick" type if tool.

Clio 197
When I did mine, I needed compressed air , get a piece of wood to place in the centre of the caliper to protect from any flying pistons. Can get new seal kits off eBay for not much, will need the correct grease too (castrol stuff if I remember).

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Whats the best way to get to the area around the bores sanded without any damage to the actual bores? Does it have to be smooth or can it just be mildly sanded and clean? What about pitting? I try to go over it light with fine grit but it can make it worse. Its all the underneath so will never see it but want the paint to stay on there and protect the metal