ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken down, help please.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Is that plastic positive thing needed/vital? Cant see any wire crimpage. Last night when I broke down i just had to poke around where the top 13mm bolt was and it gave power so ive tightened it and no luck..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Looking at the pic there's no reason it won't work as the connection looks fine. Either the battery is giving up the ghost, would you know anyone with a battery tester? Local garage will or should have one.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
No reference the plastic thing

Did you say you had taken the leads off and gave them a clean? Even then I can't see it being that tbh.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I couldnt get the 8mm bolt off so I took the positive off by disconnecting the 13mm.. everything looks in the right order there doesnt it?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
The pic is fine. So can you move with your hand either cables?

And all you did was simply disconnect the cable from the battery when you did the wheel?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The pic is fine. So can you move with your hand either cables?

And all you did was simply disconnect the cable from the battery when you did the wheel?

Yes mate can put cables on/off by hand now. Put the positive back on after just doing my wherl and its perfect, been for a run, no intermittent battery power issues, so ive got no idea! Hopefully its sorted..

Looks like you need to loosen the clamp (8mm), clean it up and maybe wire brush it or some fine paper, then whack the connection down onto the terminal further, rubber mallet perhaps. This should allow you to tighten it better on the clamp. The terminal should be higher than the clamp imo

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hasnt been driven since Sunday, when all was fine. Just went to go to the gym, key in, no lights on dash, nothing. Key out, key back in, and yay it was turning over trying to start but it would just stop trying, not like it was struggling, it would just stop turning over suddenly. Looked at battery wiring, nothing obvious, kept on trying and it would just turn over then stop, then suddenly it started. Any ideas?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You might want to get a new plastic cover for your positive terminal as if you're running marcs battery cover you dont want the battery shorting. Not sure on your other problems though, not an immobiliser problem is it? The lights going out yeah?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
You might want to get a new plastic cover for your positive terminal as if you're running marcs battery cover you dont want the battery shorting. Not sure on your other problems though, not an immobiliser problem is it? The lights going out yeah?

How could it short? Would have to be alot of movement wouldnt there? I think the immobilser went out. Ive got a vid but no idea how to upload!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The likelihood is probably really slim, but i'd rather not risk it. The idea of a piece of metal over my exposed battery terminals isn't a fun one. They're like a tenner new anyway. Try upload to flickr and post the link.

PH2 172
Hasnt been driven since Sunday, when all was fine. Just went to go to the gym, key in, no lights on dash, nothing. Key out, key back in, and yay it was turning over trying to start but it would just stop trying, not like it was struggling, it would just stop turning over suddenly. Looked at battery wiring, nothing obvious, kept on trying and it would just turn over then stop, then suddenly it started. Any ideas?
Check the small low tension 12v exciter wire connection to the alternator.
If not properly connected,engine will crank a couple of times without firing and then throw in the towel.
I don`t know why,but have witnessed this as a fix.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Won't be the cover. Try what Steve suggests. I've had this before and was the alternator wire. Decided to pack up on the way back from a track day in the rain in the winter with four people in the car. And on a motorway. That was a joy :/

PH2 172
Won't be the cover. Try what Steve suggests. I've had this before and was the alternator wire. Decided to pack up on the way back from a track day in the rain in the winter with four people in the car. And on a motorway. That was a joy :/
Don`t break down with a car full of tools as RAC wont recover you.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Have you done this

I didnt even see that mate! I will definitely give it a go.

Risked it and went to the gym, and luckily it started fine on return too. If the alternator was dead then wouldnt my battery be completely flat?

Looking over the videos I dont think the immoboliser light went out, but why would it suddenly work? Just trying to upload them..

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't saying it was the cover, was just saying eliminate the risk of it ever shorting.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

This is the one where the car wasnt doinng anything when I was turning the key. Then it started turning over.. (next vid)

Shortly after it fired up and was all normal.

Last edited:

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Immobiliser imho, lights not going out by the looks of it?

Yeah thats what I thought. Seems different to the previous problem I had mentioned at the start of this thread. What would cause the immoboliser to stay on, and then suddenly work?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You hadn't used a code reader had you? I know it's weird, but when the code readers plugged in and i remove it, often the car wont fire up straight away. Have to wait a little while until it sorts itself out. It's not coincidental as it happened a few times. I have no idea otherwise, i'm not massively clued up on immobiliser issues i'm afraid mate. You got a spare key? Try that if the problem persists.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
You hadn't used a code reader had you? I know it's weird, but when the code readers plugged in and i remove it, often the car wont fire up straight away. Have to wait a little while until it sorts itself out. It's not coincidental as it happened a few times. I have no idea otherwise, i'm not massively clued up on immobiliser issues i'm afraid mate. You got a spare key? Try that if the problem persists.

No spare key and not had it plugged in mate. Ive had 3.5years of 100% reliability because I havent touched it. I fit a steering wheel and the cars wants to die :(

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Didn't even fit it straight ;) It's not possible to damage a decoder ring is it? I'd do the cheap things, replace the battery in your clio and your key, then if it happens again it'll be a new uch? Think there's a big white fuse/relay too that can get manky, maybe check they're all good. Do some searches, plenty of threads!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'm going to start Chris Beer idea tomorrow morning then work my way through suggestions. The issue is that its so tempremental, and its currently working so I wont know if Ive solved it until it randomly dies again!

RB Clio 182
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG

Just seen the videos...

My bet would now be the fusebox in the engine bay. Check the condition of it inside and the fuses/relay pins themselves. I knew a car where wobbling one fuse would cause this due to corroded connections!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just seen the videos...

My bet would now be the fusebox in the engine bay. Check the condition of it inside and the fuses/relay pins themselves. I knew a car where wobbling one fuse would cause this due to corroded connections!

I shall have a look mate. Thanks.

Anyone else got any suggestions after watching the vids?