ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken down, help please.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
The earth from battery to the body.

Goes from the battery to by the passenger light ive known these to rot worth a look

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
IMG_0466.PNG

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Ah, that thing. Will have a look. Silly question maybe.. is it okay to use brake cleaner on stuff like that to 'clean'?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Its definatly worth looking at the fuses. It's very coincidental the fault has happened when you have done the wheel. @MicKPM may be able to offer help mate

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'll have a look mate. Sorry to be stupid. When you say check the fuses, what am I looking for to recognise a broken one?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_0467.PNG
Multimeter is the easiest way. A device that will test each fuse in situ. Or removing the fuse and seeing if the internal wire is broke or visible signs it looks blown. And your not being daft mate, I struggled at sixth form, your in uni :)

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I just have no mechanical knowledge at all, ive always just chucked my car to my mechanic friend and bought him a few beers after. My mum has bought me a tool set for xmas I think so im gonna try and learn a bit more. Just google'd how to check a fuse too, thanks mate.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not mechanically minded haven't got the patience. Keep us updated and happy to help if I/we can.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just gone out, car started perfectly on the button about 10 times in a row, no issue. I still
cleaned up the battery terminals and pushed the positive down a bit. Negative wire seems to look okay and connected etc with no obvious corrosion. Opened the fuse box, but ive got no idea which one to look at. Are there any which directly link to the immoboliser?

IMG_6193.JPG

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If you have zero mechanical minded sense then I would leave it alone and if it happens again get someone to look at it or you'll be causing more harm than good mate

I did think as much. Its been perfect today, any more issues and i'll take it to Rentech for a good look over.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It sounds very much like a poor earth issue.

Ideally you'll need a multimeter to check/prove each earths "condition" but as you've already said you have little mechanical knowledge, it may be worth sending it to Mike @ Rentech.

My guess is either the rear gearbox or behind the passenger headlamp is about ready to fall off.

Mick

dan's cast offs.
make sure the terminals on the battery won't turn, then check loom earth on the rear of the gearbox, sounds like that more than anything.

Check the small low tension 12v exciter wire connection to the alternator.
If not properly connected,engine will crank a couple of times without firing and then throw in the towel.
I don`t know why,but have witnessed this as a fix.

car will start and run without it connected.

dan's cast offs.
didn't watch them. think was your first post about shift light coming on...hold on...

yup. seen it a few times, even forgot to tighten one myself the other day when i did a clutch!!

dan's cast offs.
loom earth can be funny, worth checking anyway, even if it's tight give the wire a good wiggle and make sure it doesn't start to fray.

PH2 172
should still run though. single wire?
Totally agree,should still run with a good battery even without an alternator on board.
Helped someone local with an engine swap,but left him to do the plug ins.
Engine churned a couple of times,then cut.
One of his mates was passing,pushed the connector fully home & off you go.