ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

172 Race Car
Race Report

Being a B/H weekend and good weather, we pootled down on Sat afternoon to Combe for a chill out and watch some Lotus action, some very nice cars out I must say. Race wasn’t until Monday, so a bit of sunbathing and cleaning of the race car was all that got done, very relaxing indeed. Monday morning arrives, very little sun and a very strong wind was blowing, typical!!

Nick arrived, quickly followed by Jamie to help for the day.

The car was already to go, so off to scrutineering and noise check. I’d moddified the exhaust last week, adding another silencer, passed no problem, and sailed through scrutineering without a hitch. Having an hour to kill before quali, tyre pressures were checked and gave Jamie a quick run down on how to use the tyre temp probe, then off we go.

Having only driven Combe once before (in a newly built car on an action day over 3 years ago), I never realised how bumpy it was, 2 laps to get the tyres warm, and being very cautious, you don’t want to go off at this place, it’s going to hurt!! Building pace up slowly and trying to find a gap, I managed to get 2 clearish laps in before the flag fell.

Met Nick and Jamie under the Avon bridge, pressures were about spot on, so that was a good guess, and the temps were well within range, jobs a good ‘un.

7th on the grid 1st French Trophy car on a 1.21 with a well sorted Mi16 engined 205 right behind me. Going to be fun.

205quali.jpg
combe-grass.jpg

Mike and Matt turned up to complete the team, so sausage sandwiches and tea was consumed, petrol for the car, a drop of oil and quick check over. Ready for race one.

Lining up behind a group of Nissans, Subaru’s and a couple of Datsun 370z Playstation Academy cars, we’re off.

Bad start this time (wheelspin) :(, but the 205 was still behind, so that was good, going into Quarry with all that lot around you is something else, but somehow we all made it through, which is a small miracle.

combe-busy.jpg

After the first lap, all the Jap stuff had shot off up the road, leaving a nice gap in front.

So basically all I had to do was to keep an eye in the mirror, and keep Gordon in the 205 at bay.

15mins soon passed, race over, times fly’s when you’re having fun.

So another win in FT and went slightly quicker than quali time. Chuffed.:)

Race two.

The grid was very much the same as before, looking up massive Jap exhausts, choking on boost fumes.

Lights out, got a better start this time, but got blocked slightly by a 370z, which gave the 205 the opportunity to nip in front, he also had a gap in front as a car didn’t make to the grid, b****cks!

The chase was on. Lap 2 I had a slight coming together with Richard in the Subaru at Quarry, sorry about that, but I had nowhere to go.

subaru-nudge1.jpg
subaru-nudge.jpg

Gordon in the 205 had got a little gap after this, so I had to get my head down and pump some good laps in.

This time I let Andy through in the Teg, as he’s not in my race today, and followed him for a lap or so, the 205 was now in front, but still going well.

Gordon was overtaking back markers in places I didn’t fancy following, but had to as not to let him get away, had to take a deep breath a couple of times and follow him :eek:

I tried my hardest without actually ramming him out the way, although he did get a few little taps to remind him I was there. It was a great race from where I was sat anyway, and I’m really pleased for Gordon, he did well to hold me off, and got a well earned win.

205-race2.jpg

Got quickest FT lap time with a 1.19, so 2 sec quicker than 1st race!!

A little trip to the Stewards office to explain my version of events with Richards Subaru, results stood.

So all in all another good weekend with Track Attack Club and French Trophy, its great fun.

Thanks as usual to the boys,

Nick
Jamie
Matt
Mike
Helen
Jay.

And all the support on the day from the steady flow of visitors/fans lol.

Next outing for me will be Mallory Sat 3rd August. At last, a track I’ve driven before.

Tony, Burpspeed.com

Last edited by a moderator:
  Cup In bits
Good write up and video, just watched them both.

You were really trying in the last part of race 2 to clear the 205.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
So whilst I had the car here to sort out the broken sparkplug, I took the chance to put it on the rollers and see what was going on. Strong numbers, but the fueling on WOT was down into the 9s, the leanest point being 11.2:1 at around 4k. Not good for the engine or the lifespan of the oil.

Tony came over today with the lead for the ECU, and I spent a while working it out, then made some changes to improve the situation. Was quite happy that the first change I made which was a simple 15% reduction in fuel on the top 3 lines gained 6bhp!. Spent some time just getting everything "not massively rich" pleasing results:
BurpspeedBeforeandafter_zps820abbb3.png

182cup & 172 racecar
Good write up and video, just watched them both.

You were really trying in the last part of race 2 to clear the 205.

Trying to see if he would make a mistake.

haha 2.53 I got a thumbs up!

How could I have missed you lol. :clap:

Great couple of races Mr Hunter!

Thanks Pete

Very impressed at the racing. The speed you took through the chicanes against the 205 was class!

​As far as I could see, it was my only chance.

182cup & 172 racecar
So whilst I had the car here to sort out the broken sparkplug, I took the chance to put it on the rollers and see what was going on. Strong numbers, but the fueling on WOT was down into the 9s, the leanest point being 11.2:1 at around 4k. Not good for the engine or the lifespan of the oil.

Tony came over today with the lead for the ECU, and I spent a while working it out, then made some changes to improve the situation. Was quite happy that the first change I made which was a simple 15% reduction in fuel on the top 3 lines gained 6bhp!. Spent some time just getting everything "not massively rich" pleasing results:
BurpspeedBeforeandafter_zps820abbb3.png

​Good result Dan, looked easy to me.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Without being odd or whatever. How come the car is so quick?

Because racecar

Good engine, very light, well setup suspension, experienced driver. Its taken essentially 4 years to get it as competitive as it is. The learning process is a long one

182cup & 172 racecar
Did I hear some one say HC.....now there's a thing.

You didn't need yours,seeming it was in bits. So I had them. Thanks.;)

I was waiting for that lol. It's a compliment. Every time I watch one of your videos I'm just impressed how well it goes :)

​It just gets better and better, there's actually a lot of work gone into this car, not all documented on here though.

Clio 172
Only watched the first race so far Tony but I have to say the way you dealt with the traffic was fantastic (lucky in places), there are 2 Toyota's at about 13 minutes that you proper threaded the needle with and gave you a nice gap over the 205 who got held up again.

182cup & 172 racecar
Only watched the first race so far Tony but I have to say the way you dealt with the traffic was fantastic (lucky in places), there are 2 Toyota's at about 13 minutes that you proper threaded the needle with and gave you a nice gap over the 205 who got held up again.

You have to think about half a lap ahead, to gauge where and when you will encounter the enemy, then deal with it accordingly.

That comes with impotence you know.

I was just racing to the rear view mirror really, checking on where the 205 was.

Clio 172
Race two was almost a race of two halves, once that Scoob held you up you missed a good opportunity at the beginning and then it seemed to be every time you had a good run you encountered back markers. Looked like you just about taped him as well at 13 minutes I'm sure the bumper cam would have been caput had it been there. Two very good races though Tony very enjoyable to watch.

182cup & 172 racecar
Ta, and yes I did tap him about 4 times actually, I didn't mean to on the fast right hander, but I think he lifted for a back marker, the rest of them were through Bobbys chicane.