ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

172 Race Car
Monday 14th December 2009 - Loom Building Day 3 :dapprove:

Not really looking forward to carrying on with the loom, so we started on some mechanical jobs. First up the cat. We need to keep it for MSA regulations. We've been advised to switch to a twin box early 172 cat. The track car used to run a single box later style cat.

2728.jpg
2812.jpg

The wiring is taking so much longer than we ever imagined, but we are pleased with the results. The main aim today was to get all the chassis loom done and working. This meant connecting everything to the fuse and relay box. All the wires were cut to length and the terminals for the fuse box fitted to them. Then using 3mm cable we added main feeds to the fuse box and fitted it back in the dash. This made it a bit of a struggle to add further wires. (Switches in the glove box to turn off power steering and overide fuel pump relay)

2814.jpg
2818.jpg

2819.jpg
2820.jpg

Everything was working. When the red battery buttons were on the indicators, brake lights, dash, wiper and washers all worked as planned. This now just leaves the ECU and engine loom to do, oh deep joy!

2821.jpg
2822.jpg

Saturday 19th December 2009 - Exhaust

Time for the exhaust to go on. Its a custom made system that was on the track car (and another car before that) It will need some adjusting at a later stage but its on there of now.

1783.jpg
1784.jpg

1786.jpg
1787.jpg

Qashcow
A frustrating day in the workshop with very little progress

that isnt little progress, thats wiring a whole car from scratch! id be over the moon with that much work done in a day tbh. is looking better every day

M

mini-valver

FLOL at Jay being twisted over the cage. Looks like me when undoing the rack UJ on the cup cars for dropping the subframe, except I'm carrying a little bit more potentially one day could turn into "muscle" lol.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

While I concentrated on getting the dash display and indicators working properly, Tony finished off the battery installation. A cable was feed from the cut out relay, along the passenger floor and through the bulkhead to the mega fuse holder in the engine bay.

2767.jpg
2766.jpg

Great work there fellas!

Not sure but the blue book says that batteries should be secured in a non conductive leak proof container ? or does the type of battery your using not need one?

Cheers

172 Race Car
Great work there fellas!

Not sure but the blue book says that batteries should be secured in a non conductive leak proof container ? or does the type of battery your using not need one?

Cheers
I can see where you are coming from mate. But the Oddyssey batteries are a dry cell type. If you cut it open, no acid would leak out. I will check this tho thanks.

Blue Book said:
Electrical
106. Batteries – precautions should be taken to reduce
the possibility of acid burns from batteries in case of
accident. Batteries should be secured within a nonconductive
leak-proof compartment

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Yeah I need to know as I want to relocate the oddessey battery I bought from you a while back from it's temp position in the engine bay to under the passenger seat on my sprint/hillclimb car.
By the way its been problem free and starts the car fine in this cold weather even though I've not used it much the past couple of weeks!
Cheers!

172 Race Car
Bad weather might hold up the build a little now. Its been in the workshop for 6 weeks or more but is now outside and under 8 inches of white stuff

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Bad weather might hold up the build a little now. Its been in the workshop for 6 weeks or more but is now outside and under 8 inches of white stuff

I hear you there, mines been outside for a while now, I've braved the wheather a few times but ended up with a miserable cold from climbing under the car in snow etc :(

On topic though it's coming along very nicely! And It's nice to see another White ClioSport, hope they don't get too popular though :dapprove:

172 Race Car
No front lights, Horn, Handbrake etc Its not been built to be road going from the beginning. We decided that the cost of mot, insurance and tax would e better off spent racing seeing as we have access to a trailer

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
You could run it in the mod prod class at sprints or hills , there are a few cup cars running in them.
Not sure where you live but if it's up north harewood is one of the best places.