ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a clio 182 with no service history

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
So a friend of a friend has a clio 182 in racing blue for sale. Not really getting much information other than he won it at auction and what the upgrades are. Apparently no knocks, dodgy noises and pulls well in every gear. It's just under £1300. MOT till summer next year.

Upgrades include front strut brace, upgrading engine mount, guessing it is the dog bone one as the drivers side one looks normal. K-tec exhaust and is lowered with eibach springs. Now i haven't done a hpi check yet so could be nicked..

The car has 132K on it, with no service history at all. Do i take the risk and hope it will get me home? Plan is to give it a service myself, get the cam, water, aux, pulleys, just for peace of mind. I'm worried that i have no idea when that aux was done and knowing my luck it with snap and take the cam. I owned a clio before this and didn't have much luck with that one.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Far too much money for the miles with no history.
Yeah the miles are bothering me a bit... Done a hpi check it isn't stolen and i have read all the MOT notes and has passed first time in the last 3 years, just in need of 4 new discs and pads by the sounds of it. I owned an arctic blue one before and always fancied a racing blue one. Like for a racing blue 182 i think it's cheap! Or is it just me? Not up on clios to be honest though

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
For a car that you're looking at putting £600-800 into straight away it didn't sound cheap to me. You could get one with less miles, history and belts done for £2-2.5k.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah the miles are bothering me a bit... Done a hpi check it isn't stolen and i have read all the MOT notes and has passed first time in the last 3 years, just in need of 4 new discs and pads by the sounds of it. I owned an arctic blue one before and always fancied a racing blue one. Like for a racing blue 182 i think it's cheap! Or is it just me? Not up on clios to be honest though

It's not cheap when you think about the costs involved. For example, I bought a Rb with history, belts done, new clutch and 97k for £1800.

That car will just end up a money pit.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
It's not cheap when you think about the costs involved. For example, I bought a Rb with history, belts done, new clutch and 97k for £1800.

That car will just end up a money pit.
When you put it like that, yeah, it's expensive! Gonna keep looking then! Here's a photo anyways though. Nice car! Not a fan of the stripes mind

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 151
  Audi A4 quattro 2.7
I'm selling mine on here wanting about 3k all belts done and @OssPoop has seen my car it's in really good condition
3k is out of my budget I'm afraid. Can anybody tell me am i dumb in thinking I'll get a sorta sound 182 for less than 2k? Like what's the price of a decent one compared to one from the bottom of the barrel? I have my audi as my daily, just wanted something on the side that inst too expensive as bits like brakes, suspension and general servicing i will do bit by bit. So i don't mind a little project ahah, but 182 seem expensive to maintain, my last one had problem after problem... then the engine blew up 😂

Nil presently.
3k is out of my budget I'm afraid. Can anybody tell me am i dumb in thinking I'll get a sorta sound 182 for less than 2k? Like what's the price of a decent one compared to one from the bottom of the barrel? I have my audi as my daily, just wanted something on the side that inst too expensive as bits like brakes, suspension and general servicing i will do bit by bit. So i don't mind a little project ahah, but 182 seem expensive to maintain, my last one had problem after problem... then the engine blew up 😂

The vehicle in the photo looks familiar. I'm pretty sure it has been listed and relisted several times over the course of the last few weeks. I'll reiterate what most people have said, be very vigilant with such a high mileage example with such a distinct lack of history. That said, all the best and I hope you find what you're looking for mate!

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
For a car that you're looking at putting £600-800 into straight away it didn't sound cheap to me. You could get one with less miles, history and belts done for £2-2.5k.
You have a good point, just the color that's appealing i guess as haven't seen a racing blue one for under 2500 and to be honest only ever came across 3 on the road.

Nil presently.

And to answer your question, I don't think you're dumb to expect a decently maintained vehicle for £2000. I was in the market for a good while and saw plenty of well maintained examples at that mark up, however, you might have to settle on a different colour as RB and LY generally carry a slight premium over, say, titanium and BG (they're all fantastic colours in the flesh). Keep an eye on the for sale section on here.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
The vehicle in the photo looks familiar. I'm pretty sure it has been listed and relisted several times over the course of the last few weeks. I'll reiterate what most people have said, be very vigilant with such a high mileage example with such a distinct lack of history. That said, all the best and I hope you find what you're looking for mate!
Yeah, i'm on and off about it. Like
And to answer your question, I don't think you're dumb to expect a decently maintained vehicle for £2000. I was in the market for a good while and saw plenty of well maintained examples at that mark up, however, you might have to settle on a different colour as RB and LY generally carry a slight premium over, say, titanium and BG (they're all fantastic colours in the flesh). Keep an eye on the for sale section on here.
Yeah, back when i owned my arctic blue one i really liked the RB ones, but as you said they carry a slight premium.. That's really what caught me eye with this one, with it being cheap, and already has the rims i wanted. The MOT history seems okay, but obviously doesn't tell me if the engine is due to blow up! Part from the brakes being worn, the car does have a slight oil leak. I am wanting the FF one as i personally do not like them without the chunky cup spoiler. I will have to just keeping looking as might not be worth taking the risk. Thanks for the information by the way. Really excited to possibly getting another 182 though as loved it before! Just needs to tick all the boxes and be in budget! I have always found car hunting a real chore! Haha! My bad on the message before clicked off and it posted it for some reason :/

Last edited:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I'm selling mine on here wanting about 3k all belts done and @OssPoop has seen my car it's in really good condition
Going back to a Ford? DON'T DO IT!

Op there's plenty of decent 182s around at 2kish, you just need to take your time. Best thing you can do is watch the for sale section on here.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
When you put it like that, yeah, it's expensive! Gonna keep looking then! Here's a photo anyways though. Nice car! Not a fan of the stripes mind

No history. Check.
130 odd thousand miles. Check.
Had what looks to be a new drivers door. Check.
No splitter. Check.
Too much money. Check.
Be an arse to sell on in months time. Check.

Wheels look good though.

Oh and not a fan of the stripes either. There are odd people out there that do though. @RyG

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
No history. Check.
No splitter. Check.
Too much money. Check.

Wheels look good though.

Oh and not a fan of the stripes either. There are odd people out there that do though. @RyG
Oh jeez.. never noticed that door!! Yeah, my last one had the splitter missing and that bugged me.. It's probably best i leave this one then. Like you and everyone has said, the miles are far too high and seems too big of a risk. Top it off it's a 3 hour drive for me to even view the car. If i got a RB one i defo wouldn't considering selling for at least 6-12 months!

Yeah, i like the wheels, wanted the same ones on my last one, but it blew up before i got around to getting them. Need to find somewhere that makes frames for aftermarket seats as really not a fan of the ride height in them. Not on the top of my list, but something id like to change.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Definatly an RB you want?, I appreciate its the fastest colour. My advice is to become a member which gives you access to the for sale section and other parts of the forum. Be the best £12 you will spend.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Definatly an RB you want?, I appreciate its the fastest colour. My advice is to become a member which gives you access to the for sale section and other parts of the forum. Be the best £12 you will spend.
Urmm, i will settle for a different color for sure, but like i mentioned, i have only ever seen 3 in RB on the road and i like that i wouldn't see many others. To be honest i rarely even see any clio sport where i live. I am thinking with going with another FF Arctic blue one just because i am really not a fan of the silver ones and all the black ones I've seen for sale look a bit chavy. I'll sign up for it, was planning on anyway, but hopefully doing so, helps me find one faster

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Found this on, not RB, but oh well. Has the spiltter this time ahha. He's owned it for 4.5 years etc, got 11 months MOT. Has service history, but waiting for a replying on how much and that, Found it on Ebay for £1250, but he's asking £2500.. Wouldn't say it's worth 2.5k personally. Thoughts?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 146
  • s-l16001.jpg
    s-l16001.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 122
  • s-l160011.jpg
    s-l160011.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 137
  Audi A4 quattro 2.7

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Found this on, not RB, but oh well. Has the spiltter this time ahha. He's owned it for 4.5 years etc, got 11 months MOT. Has service history, but waiting for a replying on how much and that, Found it on Ebay for £1250, but he's asking £2500.. Wouldn't say it's worth 2.5k personally. Thoughts?
It looks ok . Just says service history available , not what history , no mention of belts etc ........... which is what people want to know.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
It looks ok . Just says service history available , not what history , no mention of belts etc ........... which is what people want to know.
Dropped him a message and said was done around 60k ish so he said will need one in around 10k. Still waiting for a reply on what history comes with it etc. Considering just leaving that one too as i personally think 2.5k is far too much when i have seen better examples cheaper

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Dropped him a message and said was done around 60k ish so he said will need one in around 10k. Still waiting for a reply on what history comes with it etc. Considering just leaving that one too as i personally think 2.5k is far too much when i have seen better examples cheaper
It's due the major service now , if you go off Renaults 5 year recommendation . According to the MOT history, 60k miles was June 2011. So you're looking at another £600 on top of the £2500 straight away. The one @imprezaworks mentioned has s**t loads of history , receipts , lots of money spent.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Besides the major cam job can anything else major go wrong with these cars?
The Cambelt , Aux belt , Dephaser and Water pump service etc ........ is really the major thing . Lots of other minor things on cars that are 10+ years old . Injectors seem to be quite a common problem lately on the forum . Lambda sensors , tdc sensors , brake calipers seizing ........ all relatively cheap fixes .

dan's cast offs.
Love the way people make a massive thing about service history. I've seen full dealer history cars at ten years old with original air filters in. Plus anyone can buy a couple of stamps from eBay and make their own history. Even easier to bang out some invoices yourself!!

If you knock that one down to a grand and sell the wheels for £250-300 then £750-800 is a nice cheap one.

Although if you do want a sorted rb with lots of goodies on then give me a shout.

I'm with @bloke on this one, service history means nothing these days unless its a DSR (digital service record) from a main dealer and even then I fully would trust them as the stealers can be just as incompetent as a dodgy back street garage. I'd much prefer a car which has been self serviced by someone competent (preferably someone from the forum) with all receipts for consumables and parts over a stamp of ink in a book.

For reference I purchased my current 04 182 FF with 100k miles and very little service history for £1500 back in February, I did have issues with the brakes which turned out to be a pair of £10 ABS rings, and rusted brake lines which cost me £30 from my local garage to make up and fit. I've recently dropped the engine and gearbox oil and both looked very clean, also checked the belts and they looked newish as well. So no service history doesn't always mean poorly maintained, in my case the seller said the previous owner lost the history to which I believe in this case.

Be patient and the right one will come up at a bargain price, happy hunting.

Last edited:
  Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
No history. Check.
No splitter. Check.
Too much money. Check.

Wheels look good though.

The stripes make the car on RB! You just don't understand :-(

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Love the way people make a massive thing about service history. I've seen full dealer history cars at ten years old with original air filters in. Plus anyone can buy a couple of stamps from eBay and make their own history. Even easier to bang out some invoices yourself!!

If you knock that one down to a grand and sell the wheels for £250-300 then £750-800 is a nice cheap one.

Although if you do want a sorted rb with lots of goodies on then give me a shout.
What's your opinion on this RB one i am looking at? The door possibly being a different color is really bugging me.. But lets say i manage to grab the car for 1k, spend £600 on the major belt job, that's £1600. What else could be wrong? Really fixed on this RB one and with my budget being around 2K i'd still have £400 to spend on it. The miles are high, but i don't plan to keep it, just a little toy for the weekend or something, but all the RB i have seen sell for over 2K and my budget isn't that high as still running my other car alongside. I'm sure after 6-12 months of me owning it, I'll make more than 1K on it as I'll have it all serviced, belts etc done with proof. I do like them wheels though.. It be ideal if it was nearby and i could just go plug in a decent OBD scanner to get some insight.

Last edited:
  Clio 182 - RB
I'll be selling mine in the next few months unfortunately. RB 182, 72,000 miles, FSH, if you upped your budget it'd be a minter [emoji4] £3800, just incase anyone else looks at this thread and looking for an RB [emoji817]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
I can imagine that £3800 would get me a real decent one! Hahh. So this guy with the RB 182 is real shady... I asked him how long have he has owned it for and if he would take £900 cash and he replies saying 'i got it to sell it. I'm not taking that for it' So got him down to 1050, which i'm sure i could knock £50 off if i went to fetch it. I don't know what to do, the guy is really strange. Like if somebody asked me why i am selling my car I'd be like well i got it from such and such just for a profit like dunno.. Does anybody get me? Haha. I asked if any problems and if he knew when the cam was done and i just got a reply back saying no.

Edit: So i went ahead i messaged this guy on my GF phone pretending to be another potential buyer and it's cat D apparently and the steering wheel isn't central. Would explain that door, the wheel shouldn't be an issue though

Last edited: