ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a Cup?

PH Quick
Was driving past my local renault dealer and sitting out the front of the dealership was a very nice looking 172 cup. Went in to have a look and now i'm thinking about buying it. The dealership wants £7200 for it, i'm not sure if this is a good price or not. Its on an 03 plate and has done 27,000 miles with fsh. Is this a good price to pay? The car is in A1 condition and they said the'd get 12 months tax and MOT on it for me.

Veiws anone?

Cheers All

Without seeing it, it's probably a grand over priced.

- forgot to add, my mate got a 53 reg brand new un registered, uk 172 cup years ago - for 10.5k on the road.
So based on that too, yep over priced.

Last edited:
  Silver 172 cup
That does seem alot. I got mine for £6000 on a 53 plate with 37k and I thought I was paying alot. Although looking at it realistically it was a reasonable price. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay alot more than I did though.
Best bet is to look on autotrader at ones with similar stats and compare them.

PH Quick
Had a look on Autotrader, and its the only trade one's cheaper than it have done 73,000 miles. Have to get it from a garage as i want to p/x and need the finance as well. Tried to knock some money off it but they wouldn't budge.

RB 182
i payed 5600 for mine 03 plate with 38k miles on the clock, thats well overprced imo, and check if it has had its cambelt changed as will need it doin and it doesnt come cheap

clio cup 172
got my 53 plate with 28k on clock for £5700. Was in mint condition. Very overpriced car that one - when I was looking for mine around xmas there were none more than £6k. You drive it out the garage and lose at least £1200 immediately. Why can you not sell your car instead of px and borrow from somewhere else?

PH Quick
Got the car up for sale at the moment, i'm sure i'll get a much better deal if i went in with a wad of cash to put down. What should i try and aim to get it down to?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Lets just say that i just paid £4900 for a '53 plate cup (with 50k) from a Renault dealer with 12 months warranty, MOT, tax and new discs/pads all round.

lol you can buy it for £7200 if you like :rasp:

Had a look on Autotrader, and its the only trade one's cheaper than it have done 73,000 miles. Have to get it from a garage as i want to p/x and need the finance as well. Tried to knock some money off it but they wouldn't budge.
Try & sell your car privately, you will get more for it.

Got the car up for sale at the moment, i'm sure i'll get a much better deal if i went in with a wad of cash to put down. What should i try and aim to get it down to?

Roughly about a grand/1200 less than the asking price. If it's a total minter, say 6.5k for it.

172 cup
Do you think 172 cup values will continue to drop in the next 5 years or hold value a bit better considering they are limited numbers?

RB 197 + Cup Pack
I think thats a bit overpriced too.... Mines for sale at the moment for £5650 - a 53 plate, excellent condition with 38k miles.

If you want the car and you let them you want to play ball. I think you could get them to £6.5-6, which off a forecourt isnt too bad providing you get a warrenty etc.

Plus, if you take their finance you should be in a better position to haggle over the price of the car and the finance. If they dont budge, walk away, plenty of other cups out there.

Dodgy one
Just bought my 'Full fat' 04 182 Yesterday for £8k, inc 1 years warranty, years road tax, full tank of juice and Gap insurance thrown in.

Its got FRSH, Clifford Cat 1, Years MOT, 1 Owner and 31,000

Didnt get the RB 182 it didnt have any cup bits like the ad said when i viewed it this one was cheaper and Mint too :D

Its going up Yorks drag strip on BH monday to see how it compares to my GTi6

Insignia for sale
Thats pretty expensive to be honest mate. Before I bought mine 3 weeks ago, went to see 2 in chesterfield, 52 with 25k and 03 with 35k on, one for 5895 and one for 5995. both had full history, at a dealers who said they would do the cambelt for me too. they are out there for a lot less mate.

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
i Bought mine nearly 3 yr ago, Immaculate and amean Immaculate, 12,000 mile for £7,900. I was hoping the price would hold due to them being so good lol but it aint and doubt it will. After owning a cup for this long i regret not buying a 182 with cup packs which after years of denial are the best option obvioulsy IMO (Handling/luxuries/performance). You could easily pic a 182 with cup packs for similar money which i would go for.

RS Clio 182
Always haggle with a dealer. Are you part ex-ing, finance or buying for cash? Look at the book price and should give you an idea of what its really worth. They rarely include road fund licence and looks like they have included it by over pricing the car. Dealers have a profit margin so don't fall for the, "Can't reduce it because they will be virtually giving it away" line. They WILL make a profit at whatever they sell it for - thats business.
Push for a warranty - 12 month would be good and some car mats if the car is without.
If you don't ask you don't get. If they aren't interested just walk away because there are plenty more out there.
Good luck.

Dodgy one
There was a minty 54plate FF 182 going for £6995 at my local ford garage, I missed out on it by about 4 hours. So IMO too its overpriced

Silver 172 Cup; Dci80;
£5200 for a 53 Silver 172 Cup with 31,000. (tho in need of a service and a bit of work) 2 weeks ago.

RS Clio 182
When it comes down to it .... a car is worth whatever you want to pay for it and how much you want it.

iceburg cliosport 172 cup
i got 53 plate iceburg 172 cup with 36000 miles on it for 5700 so i would say its slightly overpriced:) :) :) :) :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: