ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying advice needed... Dc2 or trophy??

182 trophy or dc2 integra for daily

• Total voters
Hey guys havent posted for a while and was looking for a bit of advice on my next car... Not looking to spend too much and would probably be looking to use this as my only car as I have two at the moment..

I had a 172 cup a few years ago which I owned from new but had a few reliability issues with it, but I miss its performance and its low cost to run and insure..

So i've been looking at a 182 trophy which seem to have dropped a fair bit in price and also at a dc2 which i think may be more reliable.

I think the clio would be a better daily driver to have as it has more torque (not having to wring its neck) and isnt as harsh, but I think the dc2 would be more hardcore (lsd) and possibly more fun to drive. I also prefer the looks of the ukdm dc2 even though its slighty down on power. The thing thats putting me off the teg is the rusting issues with the rear arches (Have a mk1 mx5 which isnt good for this) and the fact that its an older car with higher mileages for the same cost as the trophy. The thing that scares me with the trophy however is if the suspension needs to be refreshed...

Any opinions on this? Or anyone that's owned both that can give me some advice?

Cheers

Last edited:
  Monaco 172
I've had 2 DC2's, A 96 and 98 Spec JDM and they're unbelievably reliable! in all the time i owned mine all that ever failed was the clutch master cylinder and a HID bulb, awesome cars.

In terms of things to look for : rust is a biggy on both UK and Imports around the rear arches as you've said. water ingress in the boot due to rear light seals. Engine mounts get loose, when looking at one, grab the inlet mani and rock the engine towards you, there shouldnt be much play at all. But the most expensive thing to sort will be if the engine smokes at high revs - indicating valve stem seals or rings. High milers do smoke a bit at the top of VTEC. find a good one and you'll be really happy with it. A little tiring on the motorway due to gearing.. at 70mph the revs are around 4k and if you've got a loud exhaust it gets boring very quickly.

Any more questions give me a shout, if i've not mentioned something you want to know about.

clio 182 trophy
Tough choice as the teg is supposed to be a cracking car if spot on. Both cars have the fun factor about them in their own ways.
The Trophy dampers can be refurbished for less than 500 now as cornering force have been used, which under cut BG. There is an owner on the Trophy forum that even refurbishes them himself. Sounds dodgy but in reality all you do is change the oil, gas and seals.. I'm not saying to start potching with these things as they are obviously dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, My point is don't let the old stories put you off them.
If you do view a trophy take the wheels off and look for surface oil on the dampers both front and back and test them by applying your body weight on the sill by the a pillar. Shouldn't budge if the dampers are sound. If bouncy they need refurbishing.
Join the trophy forum and post this question. A few members have both cars and/or have run both to give you a proper comparison.

Peugeot 308
Heart says DC2
Head says Trophy

Whilst I've never owned a DC2, I've driven a few and feel that whilst there a cracking motor, looking at what the market has to offer, I don't think I could justify spending a few thousand on a rattily/rusty/high mileage Japanese box tbh.

I once had a Toyota Starlet Glanza (Yes not a DC2 I know) It was abit of a shed tbh..But I couldn't believe what people were paying for them when I sold it! Jap/Scene tax y0!

Trophy for me.

Thanks for the advice guys its a great help.. Im swaying more towards the trophy as for the same money its much newer (at least 5 years newer) and has far less mileage...
Although im just wondering if it will be different enough to the 172 cup i had to keep me interested..
I think the dc2 is slightly faster in a straight line but its whether i can be arsed worrying about which part will rust next (Like I am with the mx5..)

Like you said daz its head vs heart!

clio 182, Rx7
I had a 98 reg UK dc2. Far quicker than my 182. Quicker than my mates 350z even at top end. Mine did have only 28k on it though, it was fresh as a daisy. Never had 1 problem. Unlike my clio... Well I won't go there :D

Clio 182
I once had a Toyota Starlet Glanza (Yes not a DC2 I know) It was abit of a shed tbh..But I couldn't believe what people were paying for them when I sold it! Jap/Scene tax y0!
Trophy for me.
I've had 2 Glanzas and both were as well built as the 182 I'm driving now. Just far more tweakable. A Glanza wouldn't see which way a clio went in the corners. But running a bar of boost on the stock turbo and it would eat one in a straight line. Epic little motors.

I ran a DC2 as a daily and for the 1st couple of months loved it, then the VTEC love affair started to wear a little thin, it felt like I was running a tiny engine with the laggiest turbo known to man. When it was in the sweet spot it was quick, but no one drives in the sweet spot all the time.

As a Daily, I'd go Clio. Comfier, more toys, much more bottom end torque.

(Side note, I had to have the engine rebuilt on my teg after fracturing a piston on a track day, both window motors packed in and the radiator split. I'd put these mostly down to age and the life they have lead tbh)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Off the line the DC2 is quicker but once rolling their isn't a lot in it. The Clios don't have ratios mainly biased towards acceleration but make up for it with good pull. On track my 172 Cup will claw back in some places and lose out in others. The DC2 out the box is a better handling car than the Cup unless you are more commited than the driver your on track with. The trophy may close that handling gap but a lack of an LSD is a pain if you do intend to track the car. The Clios grip well with track rubber but your always conscious of not spinning away progress out of tighter corners. I personally would go for a trophy as there is just something about the way the Clios drive but I wouldn't be unhappy with a DC2.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Dc2 all day long. So much more involving to drive imo and sound a lot better.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I've had 2 Glanzas and both were as well built as the 182 I'm driving now. Just far more tweakable. A Glanza wouldn't see which way a clio went in the corners. But running a bar of boost on the stock turbo and it would eat one in a straight line. Epic little motors.

I ran a DC2 as a daily and for the 1st couple of months loved it, then the VTEC love affair started to wear a little thin, it felt like I was running a tiny engine with the laggiest turbo known to man. When it was in the sweet spot it was quick, but no one drives in the sweet spot all the time.

As a Daily, I'd go Clio. Comfier, more toys, much more bottom end torque.

(Side note, I had to have the engine rebuilt on my teg after fracturing a piston on a track day, both window motors packed in and the radiator split. I'd put these mostly down to age and the life they have lead tbh)
I've had 3 Glanzas and 2 GTs. What do I win?? [emoji14]

Thanks alot mate I appreciate the info.. The trophy I've been looking at has original sachs suspension at the front but ktecs fitted at the rear...

Although I dont think the rear dampers are as expensive to replace with the o.e spec ones..

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I can see a DC2 costing more in the long run than a Trophy, the Clio is also more refined and easier to live with as a daily.

Will it be different to a 172 Cup? Not by much I wouldn't have thought. Slightly comfier and more toys yes, but the base car is still the same.

Thanks alot mate I appreciate the info.. The trophy I've been looking at has original sachs suspension at the front but ktecs fitted at the rear...

Although I dont think the rear dampers are as expensive to replace with the o.e spec ones..
I replaced mine with Koni adjustables from Larkspeed (I think it was) with a lifetime warranty :D

The standard rear ones do perish, as with anything. I can't imagine the Ktecs being much good compared to Konis or Sachs though.

I'd get the Trophy, seriously. I've had hardly any issues with mine (just small common things like ignition leads) and it's the car I've kept the longest because I've simply not got bored of it yet. Every time I drive it it puts a smile on my face and it still surprises me when I chuck it around a corner a bit quick and it just grips and takes it.

Really impressed with it and I'll never sell it.

They scrub up well too :)

8172655979_4d5bfcacc6_b.jpg

8696691490_71b9fd5be9_c.jpg

8598292815_039ec28405_c.jpg

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
^^^ That looks nice @jesus

I guess its horses for courses really,both examples will have to be sought after as the best possible example so to speak. The Honda's are now getting old so unless everything has been changed recently it will cost a fair amount to get it to drive the same as an original example, which is where all the rave reviews come from and the trophy is the same really.If you buy one that's never had the fancy shockers changed the same will apply.
I would be really torn between the two tbh.