ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying tax online

Hi all i need to buy tax for my clio as iv just remembered its out tonight, if I buy it online now would I still be ok to drive it even tho it will expire?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
You get a few days grace. If you purchase online it can take up to 5 lworking days. Mine has been ordered but im waiting for it to arrive. You should be fine as long as you have purchased it online and print the email to cover yourself.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Yeah you will . You're allowed to drive for up to 5 days without displaying your new tax disc . Better get your skates on as it takes about 5 days for it to arrive .

ph2 172
Yes. You get 5 days as that's what they allow for posting . once they have checked your details any other checks made against your car will show you have applied online.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
After 5 days , you're committing an offence if you're not displaying a valid tax disc .

BG 182
I thought you weren't allowed to buy it online the day before it runs out?

And isn't the law 'failing to display a valid tax disc'
So regardless of if you've bought it or not, if its not on show and you drive the car or leave it on a public road it's against the law.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Afaik, even though your car will be taxed, it's still frowned upon to drive without a tax disc.

that said you'd have to be very unlucky to be pulled, have your disc checked and the policeman would have to be having a very bad day to fine you for it

BG 182
I've just had a look and this 5 day rule seems legit.

you learn something new every day :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I thought you weren't allowed to buy it online the day before it runs out?

And isn't the law 'failing to display a valid tax disc'
So regardless of if you've bought it or not, if its not on show and you drive the car or leave it on a public road it's against the law.

Apparently you can drive it for the first 5 days of the month while your waiting for your new tax disc to arrive . But you must display your old invalid tax disc . After 5 days , it's an offence . But you'd be unlucky to be stopped unless some eagle eyed traffic warden clocks you .

FF Clio 182
My friend lost their tax disc but still had the old one. Car is registered with tax and there is an invalid tax disc on view. You would be very unlucky to get stopped or spotted for it as most cops just run the plate.

clio valver hybrid
I drove my bmw for 3 months without the tax disc in the car as my gf had moved it somewhhere and couldnt find it my car got checked by police on the street As they noticed it wasnt in the car they drove off never got a ticket fine etc

ph2 172
I have done it online for the last few times and also done it for friends too. As long as your MOT and insurance are upto date and it is confirmed when applying that they are your ok for 5 days as stated. Not very often the police look at your tax disc like the old days as its all done through their ANP checks. If its not displayed after you receive it then you could be in trouble?