ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cam belt intervals

1.2 16v Dynamique.
Its probably been on here before but when should a cam belt be changed on a 2001 1.2 16v dynamique mk2 ph2. The cars done 51k. Cheers

It's not meant to be done until 72k or 5 years. I changed mine at 56k and the belt looked as though it would have done the 72k

Mondeo TDCI 130
It's not meant to be done until 72k or 5 years. I changed mine at 56k and the belt looked as though it would have done the 72k

you cannot tell, it could look fine and break the next minute! when its to late its to late!!:S

GR7

Shiny red R32
I was also thinking about that the other day... Should my belt be changed as my car is Jan 2002 but still under 12,000 miles?

1.2 16v Dynamique.
Hmm. With all of my previous cars I have always went off the milage which means I have about 20k left but as the car is over 5 years old its got me in 2 minds whether to change it now. Any views anyone?

Lotus Elise 111R
You could probably get away with it, but for safety I would get it done now. Is'nt the wording, "either 72k or 5yrs, whichever comes first" or something like that. If it goes it is expensive....

Mondeo TDCI 130
You could probably get away with it, but for safety I would get it done now. Is'nt the wording, "either 72k or 5yrs, whichever comes first" or something like that. If it goes it is expensive....

it is expensive, valve damage is a definite! maybe head damage if your unlucky! it may seem like money for nothing but its worth it trust me! i have seen peoples looks when they pay £1300 to have there car repaired!:(

Mégane RS 225
Mine is Dec 2002 and 40k on the clock. I chanced it last week. Looked fine though..

In Finland it's 55k or 4 years.. I wonder why, maybe colder climate or something like that..

Last edited:
  RS Clio 200
think i should really do mine.... how much they cos to get done?
I got mark fish changing the sump gasket in feb, so i might get him to do it at the same time.

Mondeo TDCI 130
well, from what i remember, its about 5 hours on a 172, and its £50 an hour plus vat where i work, so plus the belt kit and aux belt, getting pricey!

I was also thinking about that the other day... Should my belt be changed as my car is Jan 2002 but still under 12,000 miles?
Yep the belts age as well as life limites £1k or so bill at cheapest if it breaks
Hmm. With all of my previous cars I have always went off the milage which means I have about 20k left but as the car is over 5 years old its got me in 2 minds whether to change it now. Any views anyone?
Yep £1k bill if you don't chnage ie and it sbreaks Renault engine arn't famous for not breaking. Unless your under warently I'd chnage it at 4 years and 60k or so.
think i should really do mine.... how much they cos to get done?
I got mark fish changing the sump gasket in feb, so i might get him to do it at the same time.

5.1 hous labout then the kit is £135 or so with all the tensionets Aux belt etc.

1.2 16v Dynamique.
When I was in the trade a few years back everyone went by the cars milage. Im sure this 5 year patter is a load of crap invented by manufactures. Still going to change it though as I have had nothing but bad luck lately!

Mondeo TDCI 130
When I was in the trade a few years back everyone went by the cars milage. Im sure this 5 year patter is a load of crap invented by manufactures. Still going change it though as I have nothing but bad luck lately!

i have seen meganes break on 02 plates before 50k, 1400 16valves!

RS Clio 200
yeh ill get mine done along with the service and the sump gasket... may as well while half the engine is out...

might stick the clutch on teh list too LOL

you cannot tell, it could look fine and break the next minute! when its to late its to late!!:S

Yep your right I wasn't guaranteeing it would have lasted just saying it didn't have any obvious signs of wear on it and their were no noises from the tensioner so no reason it had to be changed.
Like others say though and like I did best to get it changed sooner rather than later.
The Megane you mention surely Renault or the company who make the belts will have to contribute to the repair bill?
If mine snapped the bill would only be the price of getting a belt done anyway ;)

Is the 72k interval a maximum then Edde or is that just the recommended?Obviously people who do a lot of short journeys it will need it sooner but is this covered for when Renault say 72k giving that a lot of Clio's used for this?

Is the 72k interval a maximum then Edde or is that just the recommended?Obviously people who do a lot of short journeys it will need it sooner but is this covered for when Renault say 72k giving that a lot of Clio's used for this?

Yep 72k mamium Renault have statistics that such a large % will pass that thats the ideal point to change them. Renault have to get insurance to cover them and the insurance companies would want to see evidence why a 72k instead of 60k (etc) limit is to be used, as they would have to pay if they failed.

If you don't have a waretly to fall back on I'd say 60k and 4 year for most owners but few listen.

I left mine as its warentied till them.

GR7

Shiny red R32
I think I am going to ask my local garage to change mine as it's coming up for five years of age! I feel as though I should keep the car for a couple more years as it's had a lot of new parts and last week it had new brake discs/pads etc all round and I can feel the difference with my brakes now they're all shiny and new... the old ones were very pitted and worn!

mk4 golf gt-tdi
i have a private mechanic who is going to do mine, he did mention on the phone that he may need some special tools,

what are they?

GR7

Shiny red R32
make sure they have the special renault tools to do it GR7!!!
They have everything needed for Renaults Fred, as one of the mechanics was a Renault main dealer mechanic for nine years and when he left there, all his customers went with him so they do a lot of Renaults (and anything else) and loads of the old dears round my way seem to have Clios!!!

dont go to renault their usless, got my belt done at renault on special affer then it come back making a noise i took it back they said it will be ok then i broke down week later, valve has broke smashin the head, their denying any responisbilty! and charged me £300 for stripping engine down when i never enen asked em too. im takin mine to mike fish to get it sorted now. NEVER GONNA TRUST A RENAULT MAIN DEALER AGAIN!!!

CB600FS
i have a private mechanic who is going to do mine, he did mention on the phone that he may need some special tools,

what are they?

Crank pin, & Cam locking tool, & ideally, the T50 bar, although you can get away without it.

Crank Pin - MOT 1054
Cam Bar - MOT 1496

*Edit* Make sure he changes the tensioners, & the jockey wheel too.